• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by saipan59

1. S

Help with UNIBUS information

[EDIT: 11/24, not 11/04] Isn't an 11/24 the simplest Unibus PDP? One hex module for CPU, another for memory. As I recall, the BP is a bit unique, but perhaps can be made from a DD11-DK or similar?? Pete
  2. S

Help with UNIBUS information

The disk controller board you have is half of a UDA50: https://gunkies.org/wiki/UDA50_Disk_Controller A UDA50 is probably "essential" in a Unibus system IF you will have SDI drives. Pete
  3. S

VT100 to VT103 conversion

I had a VT103 that I bought in the 80's via the 'Employee Purchase Program'. It cost me over $4K. I still have the Q-bus backplane from it, but nothing else. It has an edge connector for the VT100 board to plug into. Check the 103 print set to be sure, but I think the VT100 module (that does...
  4. S

Need a VT220 fuse holder

Hi, If this is what you need, PM me a mailing address, and I'll send it to you. It's apparently 'NOS'. You might as well take the entire holder - I have nothing else that matches it, and I no longer have any complete DEC machines that might use it. Pete
  5. S

Need a VT220 fuse holder

Hi Lee, Can you post a picture of the type you want? My "fuse holder box" might easily have what you need, but I'm unclear which style... Pete
  6. S

Is there any way to look up DEC internal part numbers of the format ##-#####-##?

Those referenced PDFs are very useful for a lot of discrete parts - thanks for pointing that out, I'd never seen it before. Too bad it's from 1970 -- a 1985 version would be really nice... See my earlier post above. The Component Index books list basically EVERY part. For the parts on a...
  7. S

Is there any way to look up DEC internal part numbers of the format ##-#####-##?

What happens when you explain this to them. Do they ignore you? Surely they *want* to sell stuff...
  8. S

On second thought, I'm starting to remember that there WAS a printed part number list. My memory is fuzzy, but it was 3 volumes, paperback, gray/brown color. Each volume was about 1" thick, but one of the volumes was closer to 2" thick. Would have been used by folks in Component Engineering, but...
  9. S

FWIW, the 50-class (bare PCB) is often clearly marked on a board etch, the 54-class (board assembly) may or may not be marked with a paper sticker. I've never seen a list of those PN's out in the wild. And I don't remember ever seeing a printed version. I would suggest that it was never needed...
  10. S

KDA50 microcode trivia (2901 bit-slice)

Here's the bit fields for the UDA50, as seen on the schematic. The KDA50 designer told me that the UDA and KDA have almost identical fields, so this should be really close to the KDA. 00-11 branch addr 12 CROM parity (odd) 13 JUMP OP 1 14 conditional execute 15 SENSE 16-19...
  11. S

KDA50 microcode trivia (2901 bit-slice)

This is related to the recent thread where somebody was asking about making a PDP11 by using a 2901 bit-slice architecture. The KDA50 is one of several DEC modules that already implements a complete 2901 processor. Since I apparently have too much free time ( :-) ), I wrote code for my...
  12. S

DCT11-EM SBC Thread

I don't have any specific examples, but boards like this were intended as a way to get the chip into engineer's hands, so that they might want to use it in a product. Educational institutions would be part of that, because student-engineers graduate and go to work for companies, where they can...
  13. S

RA70 problems - will not start spinning

https://manx-docs.org/collections/antonio/dec/MDS-1997-10/cd3/VOL003/0363.PDF Pete
  14. S

RA70 problems - will not start spinning

Do you have an SA7x OCP? It will display status/error codes. I worked in the site that made that drive (CXO, Colorado Springs), but I don't have any experience with it... Pete
  15. S

Building a PDP-11 from scratch

Ah, good point! I had forgotten about that. I (myself) would never attempt to do a PDP instruction set. But if the microword were decoded, perhaps it be possible to do something simple (like blink an LED) with just a couple of the EPROMs installed. A 'baby steps' way to avoid the tedium of...
Back