• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by sgifanatic

1. S

SGI Indigo2 Power Supply Repair Service

I have a number of Indigo2 power supplies that need to be repaired. It's certain recapping is required, but some additional debugging may potentially be required. I have not had much luck finding a technician. Might someone here have pointers?
  2. S

WANTED: Sharp PC-6220 286 laptop

Looking for laptop, battery and charger at least. Other peripherals (num pad, dock, trackball) a plus. Thank you.
  3. S

Linux on their 486 class machines.

Here are some pics of Desqview/X and Puppy Linux running on the Gateway 486 I restored a couple of years ago: More on the story here: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?44930-Restoring-a-Gateway-2000-4DX2-50-80486-Desktop-(Warning-Lots-of-images)
  4. S

Apple IIgs woes - unreadable screen, snow

I started up the IIgs after a few months and was greeted by this: I reseated the memory card, tried again, same result. Any idea what might be happening?
  5. S

7 new systems; AT&T 6300, IBM Powerserver, Libretto, Tandy 1400LT & more

Wanted to share some recent acquisitions. Pictures now, stories later.
  6. S

Restoring a Gateway 2000 4DX2-50 80486 Desktop (Warning: Lots of images)

Adventures in alternate OS installs on the Gateway continue... I was able to get RedHat 6.1 to boot and make it into the X-based setup program. Of course, the 1GB drive has just about 120MB left, so I didn't actually go through with the install. That said, at least I've gotten farther with this...
  7. S

A Commodore PET Smartphone?

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/commodore-smartphone/?mbid=social_twitter The Commodore PET is now an Android smartphone running an emulator. A nod to the name, but a bit of a travesty, really, for vintage buffs.
  8. S

What 70 years of computing sounds like

Great article with some interesting Soundcloud clips! http://motherboard.vice.com/read/this-is-what-70-years-of-computing-sounds-like
  9. S

Sirius: A tri-processor 8051 handheld computer

Some additional pictures: The early proto of the dev board - note the keyboard built from scratch from an array of push switches.
  10. S

Picked up a new PCjr in good condition, except that it doesn't boot!

Got lucky today and found a PCjr still in the original box, with the diskette drive safety card insert still present! The pics will do most of the talking, but I got the IR keyboard, two joysticks, power adaptor and the PCjr system unit itself. No sidecars or other expansions, however. Without...
  11. S

Sirius: A tri-processor 8051 handheld computer

An interesting project most may not have heard of previously. Demo shows: Battery powered Sirius handheld system based on a tri-processor 8051 design AlephOS Operating System Authentication Forms-based UX library SD Card support/FAT filesystem Bitmapped graphics Multilingual support...
  12. S

WTB NeXT non-ADB sound box, Y cable, HDD and V74 ROM

Need these items for a NeXTstation Turbo Color. Would you please PM me if you have these items and would like to sell. 1. NeXT non-ADB sound box 2. Y cable 3. HDD - atleast 2GB, ideally with NextStep 3.3 and apps loaded 4. V74 ROM
  13. S

Restoring a Gateway 2000 4DX2-50 80486 Desktop (Warning: Lots of images)

I wanted to try Linux on the Gateway to see how usable it would be. I didn't want to mess with the HDD which has a single dos partition, so I burned a puppy "wary" live cd and tried to boot. The system now has an IDE CD-ROM. Problems with the Sony CDU-33 have been covered in previous pages so...
Back