• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by southbird

1. S

Unknown (giant!) 386DX motherboard

Ha, well "giant" I guess because during the 386 reign I mostly only saw low profile machines. But fair enough, AT sized. That board spec you linked is very close (thanks, Chuck!) but it is not exactly right. See the layout of the headers: I can guess that the top 4 pins are the speaker...
  2. S

Unknown (giant!) 386DX motherboard

Anyone have any idea about this one? It's got wonderfully unlabeled connectors. I'm at least looking for the speaker connector. I originally bought it just for the TI 486, but ended up finding a better one, so I figured I'd just power this up for kicks. Also, any guesses as to what the...
  3. S

The XT that thought it was a 486 AKA The XT486

It's mostly dumbassery on my part. For whatever reason I was unable to find a screw that was keeping the PSU in place and while trying to maneuver it around to find it, I unwittingly pressed against the circuit board that's connected to the yoke and it snapped it. It's not one of my proudest...
  4. S

The XT that thought it was a 486 AKA The XT486

Pretty sure things like this have been done before, but I'm sharing my little throw-together. What the base is... I had a 5155 for a little while that was missing its keyboard. In an attempt to replace the PSU fan, I broke the yoke on the screen. Most of the machine's remains were cast away...
  5. S

Can a PS/2 486 use a 32-bit MCA memory board?

Example: http://cgi.ebay.com/Kingston-KTM-3011-4-MCA-Memory-Expansion-Card-/190440080156?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c571d031c I'm seeing a few 32-bit MCA memory boards on eBay and I'm wondering if I can use them to extend a PS/2 76 I have. I typically only see these employed in a 386, and...
  6. S

Tandy 1400 HD -- PSU Bad I think

So I got a 1400HD in good cosmetic shape for next to nothing, with the obvious disclaimer of "Don't have the power brick, can't test." Incidentally, I DID have a power brick from a 1400HD that I had years back but have long lost. But alas, powering up just illuminates the backlight (sometimes)...
  7. S

Pittsburgh Area Transit

I grew up in Pittsburgh, but currently live in the outer edge of the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul) metro. Anyway, before I was licensed to drive, I took mass transit. It actually first started in high school when the district decided my parents were 3 houses too close to require a school...
  8. S

ISA Slot Extensions?

Not exactly "vintage", but I'm finding them hard to locate. Basically something like this: http://www.orbitmicro.com/global/isasx2-p-815.html I wouldn't care if it had a cable or if it's just a fixed extension, but in any case I'm looking to push vertically upward off the motherboard to...
  9. S

The Definitive "Why don't we have a driver collection site?" topic

With my recent experience in this thread, I have to ask the question I know has come up a few times before. Why doesn't someone come up with a user-submittable obsolete-only driver website? Obviously we don't want to become the next "driverguide.com" (that would only draw more traffic and...
  10. S

ATTN: Boca Research FTP is working again, but probably not for long

Some my have followed my exploits in this thread about my fights to get a Bocaram AT Plus driver. Well, during the course of that, I discovered that the should-be-anonymous Boca Research FTP had become non-anonymous. Thanks to a bit of lookup from Chuck (G), we found that Boca's site was being...
  11. S

WTB: Intel Inboard 386/PC Memory expansion

If anyone happens to have one ... the bigger the better ;) I did get a PM from someone once offering one, but I didn't see it for a couple weeks (this forum could use a nag pop-up for PMs or a number or something) and then I responded and he never replied. Don't know if the offer expired or he...
  12. S

Need Bocaram AT Plus driver

Got the card off eBay, need the driver now, and too bad Boca Research's FTP is now inaccessible..
  13. S

ISA Memory Expansion

I'm just looking for clarification. Can an ISA memory board actually provide (slow) extended memory, or is it relegated only to the realm of EMS? I'm assuming the latter since I would imagine the addressing of the ISA bus sits in that first 1MB only. I know I once had a microchannel PS/2...
  14. S

Quality Hill

****************************** Click for photo ****************************** Not all of this is really, really "vintage" (although honestly I'm starting to think that line is beginning to move towards the Pentium era machines myself... I'd vote if you have a motherboard with pre-PCI slots...
  15. S

Anyone use NetFlix?

... because in my previous apartment, I had Comcast's whatever that cost me $150/mo, which is crazy given I only watch a little TV, typically a couple movies, generally on weekends only. (Sometimes more if the mood strikes or there's something particular I want to watch, you get the gist.) I...
Back