• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by super-sama

1. S

PS/2 Model 40/57/77 PSU - Capacitor list?

Whoops, small edit, there's TWO 4700µF 10v caps. TWO OF THEM. to anyone looking to do this later... now I need to put one in the next order I do, whoops. Also heavily suggest the use of a desoldering gun on the two vertical boards inside the power supply, I believe these have something to do...
  2. S

IBM PS/2 L40SX Laptop issues, tantalum capacitor exploded.

I'm betting you have a broken trace somewhere eaten away by capacitor goop. I'm seeing a lot of green stuff around Q9 in the middle of the board for instance... Did you also give the board a good vinegar bath and a scrub down with a toothbrush after? The tantalum caps aren't likely to be your...
  3. S

IBM PS/2 L40SX Laptop issues, tantalum capacitor exploded.

sounds like a flex cable problem. Get the capacitors replaced and verify the machine otherwise is stable aside from the display and work on that afterwards. It might be that you'll need to add something inside the bezel to apply pressure if the problem can't be solved by normal means.
  4. S

Bit the bullet and bought a cheap set from the Hazard Fraught when I went to the store the other day, completely forgot there was one in the same shopping center so I moseyed on in and grabbed one of the compact sets. T15 seems to be the right size for these. Got a cap list. Also pertinent to...
  5. S

Question about Dallas clock chip modification/bypass

Last I recall the ones needed (Pins 16/20) are internal and are not connected outside the module. You will still need to remove the chip, add a dual-wipe socket, do the battery mod and shove it back in. I did the same thing to a Dallas unit two weeks ago, but thankfully it was already socketed...
  6. S

NEC ProSpeed 386SX

You should be instead grab a cheap OEM Lenovo 20V adapter used for a Thinkpad from the T60+ era of laptops, if you want a reasonable supply to use as the replacement. They're cheap and plentiful on eBay and the like, just make sure it's OEM and not a cheap knockoff. the supply is technically...
  7. S

I've had a PS/2 Model 40SX for the past few weeks that was liberated from a vocational/technical school dumpster nearly on its way to be turned into coke cans. Friend asked about them and his teacher said he could take whatever he wanted and grabbed it for me along with another that had the PSU...
  8. S

IBM PS/2 40SX IDE Cable

Bringing this thread back from the dead with some important information for anyone in the future looking for the IDE cable for this machine: it is NOT proprietary, the only thing that is about it is the connector notches on the motherboard itself. Otherwise the pinout between the motherboard...
  9. S

To Re-Cap or Not

I'm a big proponent of leaving well enough alone if nothing looks suspect, but as with my reply in the other thread mere moments ago, yes, you should replace anything at all whatsoever that says Elna on it. When I replaced all the capacitors in the custom power supply in the FedEx Powership 2...
  10. S

Packard Bell PB70 Switching Power Supply Repair

Ah, yep. You've been hit by the Elna bug. Pretty sure the Elna caps used in most PC gear that harbored them from the late 80s into the early 90s for them were all affected by the quaternary ammonium salt/compound issue from the cap plague of that time. Powerbook 100 series power bricks are also...
  11. S

VCF East October 2023 Swap Meet

Re: on this, the person that bought it off me has been identified and I'm working on getting in contact with them. I feel like a weight is off my shoulders.
  12. S

VCF East October 2023 Swap Meet

80% of my stuff sold within the first three hours and I couldn't believe it. My parking spot neighbor also ended up having sunscreen and gave that to me because I forgot mine at home, and the sun being a deadly laser turned me into a lobster back in June, something I didn't want to experience...
  13. S

XTIDE Universal BIOS

Wanted to give a quick update, I did some snooping around datasheets for my board chipset and discovered that the control register for the onboard IDE is not 3F0h as predefined, but 3F7h. 3F0 is reserved specifically for floppy control register use! This would also explain another long-standing...
  14. S

XTIDE Universal BIOS

yep, I tried with both the gender changer and just two normal hard drives, the behavior is exactly the same. For now I moved back to the ROM I was using previously and just hooked the Apacer DOM in by itself, but this is a really troubling problem altogether. I'm wondering if it's just how the...
  15. S

XTIDE Universal BIOS

Tried this as I have the same issue with r625 doing the double-drive clunk like no one's business on my NEC PowerMate SX/20vi. This ROM works with the drives hooked to the onboard IDE (at 1F0h), but only when the 2864 is inserted into a proper XT-IDE card (GW rev4a). if I shove the ROM into the...
Back