• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by SwissArmyTin

1. SwissArmyTin

What is this? Post Photos of Mystery Items Here (vintage computers only)

Very possibly, I didn't even think of that. That opens the floodgates for even more potential sources. A few more observations: there's two boards forming the bottom layer, the gap between the two can be seen in the first pic, to the right of the socketed EPROMs. In light of the arcade...
  2. SwissArmyTin

Unfortunately those are the only two good shots of it's innards in the whole film. You really only ever see the outside, which, aside from the peripherals, was 100% custom-made for the movie. Also, you're right about the upright cards and slots being added by the prop guys, the cards don't even...
  3. SwissArmyTin

This one's more for fun, but for the past few years, when I get bored, I try to figure out what PCBs were used in the main prop from Electric Dreams from 1984. I've only ever been able to identify the one in the top left, very obviously a 5.25" disk drive controller card from something like a...
  4. SwissArmyTin

IBM PS/2 Model 30/286, OS/2, and XT-IDE

Thanks for all the feedback, seems this'll be about just as complicated as I expected, haha. I was planning on using a 64mb CF card with two 32mb partitions, as 32mb was the capacity of the original stock HDD in my PS/2. Hopefully that's enough breathing room for dualbooting and formatting...
  5. SwissArmyTin

IBM PS/2 Model 30/286, OS/2, and XT-IDE

My Model 30/286 has a dead HDD, so as a replacement I ordered a Blue Lava ISA XT-IDE + CF adapter. I was hoping to get a dual boot install of OS/2 1.0 and 1.2, however I know well enough that even later editions of OS/2 are extraordinarily picky about hard disks, BIOSs, and hardware...
  6. SwissArmyTin

Late 80s/early 90s MAI Basic Four documentation - anything

I unfortunately don't have many photos at the moment, but here's the hoard right after I got it home and tucked away in a corner: and a better shot of the main machine before I dug it out of it's former home:
  7. SwissArmyTin

The South 3dfx Voodoo 5 5500

It pains me to do this, but with VCFSE looming ahead, I need to scrape up what I can for the parts I need for my display. Without further ado, I offer the venerable and elusive 3dfx Voodoo 5 5500 in darn fine shape and fully functional. This has mainly been a display piece the past few years...
  8. SwissArmyTin

Your best and worst vintage computer investments?

Best investment is whatever I rescue for free/next to nothing, or needed little to no repair work at all, haha. Worst though, is any sort of portable/laptop I bought locally off Craigslist/Facebook Marketplace. I'm 0 for 2 on a Compaq 486 LTE that the previous owner stole the battery, floppy...
  9. SwissArmyTin

Late 80s/early 90s MAI Basic Four documentation - anything

About a year or so ago I rescued a sizable stash of MAI Basic Four equipment - a Dual Universe mainframe/mini/tower something, 3 terminals I assume are ASCII (2 model 4314s and one model 4312), a front-loading 9 track tape drive, two enormous printers, and several manuals for the Business Basic...
  10. SwissArmyTin

IBM PS/2 Model 30 power supply shenanigans

A year or so ago, I picked up a fairly nice PS/2 Model 30 286, only problem was most of the caps had gone bad in the PSU. Rushing to try and fix this issue, I committed the unforgivable sin of desoldering the capacitors without noting any of their values or where they went. Ouch. Picked up a...
  11. SwissArmyTin

Dataworld LP 320 (386) laptop power supply issues

Just picked up my first vintage laptop today, and boy is this thing a beast (19lbs!). Haven't been able to power it on because the (external) power supply is royally messed up. When I first got it, half-way down the cable, it was hacked in two, and the wires twisted back together with electrical...
  12. SwissArmyTin

Hi from South Carolina

Just found these forums the other night, so I'm a bit new around these parts. Would love to expand my collecting, but I'm happy with what I got. Few Apple II machines, few Commodore. I also have a decent collection of operating systems (does OS/2 count as vintage yet?), and that's about it...
Back