• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by tkc8800

1. T

IBM 3151 terminal disassembley

I've recently obtained an IBM 3151 terminal and keyboard. It works fine, but I wanted to take it apart and clean it out as it's quite dirty. There's no screws on the monitor case and it seems like it's just pressed together using snap in clips built int the case. You can see where these come...
  2. T

Adelaide (AU) Retro Computer group meeting has been scheduled for 8th of April 20

The next Adelaide Retro Computer group meeting has been scheduled for 8th of April 2016. Details here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1717821228463122/ and here: http://adelaideretrocomputing.blogspot.com.au/p/test-page.html Summary Time: 7:30pm Date: 8 April 2016 Location: Eastwood...
  3. T

Altair disk drive in Knight Rider pilot

I was watching the second episode of the Knight Rider pilot (1982), and spotted this familiar looking drive. The villain in the story takes a disk out of this computer, it's a 5.25" disk, pure gold.
  4. T

1983 vintage Microsoft mouse. Green eyes. Steel balls. Made in Japan.

I think you're onto something, I think it used to belong her:
  5. T

Dungeon Hacks new book

I was recently asked to preview a book about the history of the RPG "roguelike" genre of games, written by David L. Craddock. I thought this book may be of interest to many users on here. There's plenty of content in the book for people interested computer history and in particular the...
  6. T

Commodore 64 dreaded black screen

I fitted the SuperPLA to my working C64 and it works fine. I figured I might as well use it even though the original PLA still works. Take note though that you need an extra socket to raise it up over the SID chip. I now have three working PLA's, I'm sure they will come in handy. I also ran...
  7. T

Commodore 64 dreaded black screen

I picked up a Commodore 64 the other day that initially worked but now I'm getting the dreaded black screen when I turn the machine on. I'm just after some opinions on what the most likely problem is going by the symptoms. It initially booted fine, I could type at the keybaord, I even loaded a...
  8. T

Personal Decstation 5000/25 3w3 to VGA monitor conversion

Today I hooked up the Personal Decstation's 3w3 video output to a VGA monitor. This worked very well, and I was impressed with the quality of the picture on the VGA monitor. All I had to do was join the 3w3 to BNC cable with the BNC to VGA cable. Both cables were supplied with the machine. I...
  9. T

Personal Decstation 5000/25 not powering up

Success I'm glad to say! I was able to get into single user mode with: >>boot 3/rz0/vmunix -s For some reason, when I first tried to execute: passwd root, it said "passwd: cannot execute". Not sure what I did but I changed directories to /etc and it eventually worked. I was able to reset...
  10. T

Personal Decstation 5000/25 not powering up

I recently picked up a Personal Decstation 5000/25 for free, it came with keyboard and mouse and two 20" color monitors, unfortunately the owner couldn't find the video cables, but luckily he lives close to me and has vowed to give me a call when he finds them. The machine seems well populated...
  11. T

Epson HX-20 revival story

I recently saw an Epson HX-20 for sale on a local trading site, what initially caught my attention was that it had an integrated printer and micro tape drive. Very cool! Not knowing much about these machines I did a bit of research on it and was impressed to hear it's considered the first...
  12. T

Halt and Catch Fire Season 2

Let's face it there's not much in the way of retro computer tv, so when I heard about this show I made an effort to watch it. I thought it was pretty good, but from what I heard after the first season the general ratings weren't fantastic. So I was surprised to read that a second season will...
  13. T

Compaq Portable restoration

I saw this Compaq portable advertised in my local area, not knowing much about these machines I did a bit of research on it. I discovered that it was not only the first IBM pc clone but also Compaq's first product from the early 80's. I really like these old "portables" with built in CRT's so...
Back