• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by TMA-1

1. TMA-1

Another Rifa goes out in a blaze of glory

Ha ha ha,... worthy replies, all. I just wish all electronic repairs were that easy. When a mechanic finds the broken part, he can usually SEE that it's deficient. Not usually true in our world. (This was an obvious exception.)
  2. TMA-1

Another Rifa goes out in a blaze of glory

Took apart my Apple II+ clone's PSU to see what the problem was. I have a theory, but I'm not sure. It's still hard to see through all the smoke, but there's a Rifa cap in there that looks somewhat, uhm,... "questionable". Do you all think it should be replaced? Cheers.
  3. TMA-1

I walked into a junk shop and walked out with a Dynalogic Hyperion!

Does this photo help? It seems they just offset by 1 pixel, somehow.
  4. TMA-1

I tip my hat to anyone that familiar with the chips and who can read a schematic to that level of understanding. I can't. Oh my hobby skills improve over time, so I become "confused at a higher level", but to my poor eyesight the address and data lines still cross and blur and feel like...
  5. TMA-1

That's cool. Some of what you said goes over my meatball technician's head, but for some stupid reason it didn't even occur to me to look to the rear interface for a pseudo-ISA slot interface prospect. Duh. One thing I was wondering though. My Eagle Spirit luggable PC of the same era...
  6. TMA-1

Wow, that's an impressive store, snuci. Thank-you for scanning and sharing!
  7. TMA-1

Hi Huxley, Thanks for the compliment. :) Mostly I've just been winging it. There are a couple of YouTubes that cover specific issues, including basic disassembly, but I found it wasn't too hard conceptually to take the unit apart. Just annoying because you can't reach anything without...
  8. TMA-1

There is no room to maneuver at all in these concise little things. There isn't even a single slot to add a riser to. In fact, the "motherboard" is a sandwich of two boards tucked in tight to the back of the machine. This makes maintenance very difficult--for example I'm trying to find the...
  9. TMA-1

Hi, sorry I'm late to the party,... just ran across this thread. Nice find wowbobwow! I have two of these charming artifacts currently working, and am laboring to restore a third. Best of luck with yours. The internal layout makes them a bit of a pain to work on, but you get used to it...
  10. TMA-1

Mystery Card

I've been mining a long-forgotten junk box of electronics parts and PCBs, looking for buried treasures. I've found one card I probably I bought in the 90's from a local surplus store as scrap electronics, but never got around to harvesting. Now I'm curious--just what is it? It identifies as a...
  11. TMA-1

Apple II+ sudden keyboard death

Completely understand not wanting to tear down your II+; I appreciate any help you can provide without it, pure speculations included. :) Interestingly, I don't seem to have a suffix on my AY-5-3600 And yes, I do have an oscillator signal on pin 1. I have come across that eBay item, but...
  12. TMA-1

Apple II+ sudden keyboard death

I have an Apple II+ that has a keyboard which is very nice mechanically and never given me issues on any key. I was using the machine last night, and suddenly the keyboard became unresponsive. No key produces a character on the screen or response from the computer, with the exception of...
  13. TMA-1

Making .WAV's

Me again. Been playing with console "1" which was repaired as per another thread. I'll restart work on console "2" presently, with the information kindly posted there by others. Okay. What am I doing that's silly? I mean besides playing with 8-bit computers in the middle of the night in the...
  14. TMA-1

Bad Video on TI-99/4A?

The RAM is receiving voltages that look a little "off", but unfortunately I didn't measure them before I started, only afterwards when it didn't work. I don't have the information in front of me, but IIRC the -5 was in fact about -1.7, and the +12 was about +14. (The +5 was pretty well on.) I...
  15. TMA-1

Bad Video on TI-99/4A?

Thanks Ksarul. I'll warm up the soldering iron. First thing is to get the dang RF shielding off. Darn thing is armored for a jousting match,... [...edit...] Well I don't know what I messed up, but something has gone amiss. I have extracted all 8 video RAM as carefully as I could, and...
Back