• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by usotsuki

1. usotsuki

Nabu - trying to fix a problem in my FD bootloader

To be fair, there's Patched ROM 14, which provides the same things I'm providing. And the Nabu company's been dead for decades. But there's always a successor in interest and I'd prefer to take the safe approach rather than suddenly have some megacorp that bought out some other megacorp that...
  2. usotsuki

Nabu - trying to fix a problem in my FD bootloader

This is certainly a case of "coder is an ID10T", but last July I tried to write a floppy disk bootloader for the Nabu that: Doesn't use the official code, because I want it copyright-clean. Can boot existing CP/M 3.1 boot disks. I coded it in two forms - one that is part of my boot ROM...
  3. usotsuki

Z80 EMACS for CP/M (2.2)?

I was just about to mention "MiNT" - Mint Is Not Trac, the back-end language of Freemacs.
  4. usotsuki

Why did DOS/86 overtake CP/M-z80 ?

I want to say the 8086 has something like DJNZ using CX. Don't quote me on that one; I'm an x86 ASM n00b.
  5. usotsuki

Do you think Tim Patterson infringed on DRI's rights with QDOS/MSDOS?

Erwot? OSX never had anything to do with Linux - you mean BSD.
  6. usotsuki

Do you think Tim Patterson infringed on DRI's rights with QDOS/MSDOS?

I think it's just a meme that's been going around for 40 years and growing taller with the telling.
  7. usotsuki

Rewriting my Nabu floppy disk bootloader 😵

I can't remember the 0xCF (DF, EF, FF) voodoo, or where I read it. All I tried to do was read head 0, track 0, sector 1 to 0xC000 and run it. It might actually have been the Ishkur bootstrap or something, or perhaps MAME. My memory's failing me. :/
  8. usotsuki

That's the code I was talking about. 😜 That's what I'm trying to fix. ;)
  9. usotsuki

No dice. :( My source describes the port addresses but it's a bit cryptic.
  10. usotsuki

NEC V20 and CP/M

MAME has the "pcv20" machine. Dunno how well it works.
  11. usotsuki

NEC V20 and CP/M

Because then I couldn't avail myself of the existing BDOS code?
  12. usotsuki

NEC V20 and CP/M

In my case, I'd implement BIOS calls as trampolines to 8086 code sitting at a fixed location at the bottom of free memory, with the default TPA being in the first free segment above that. Like, if I needed to write a character, I'd invoke a piece of 8086 code to do it through INT10. If I...
  13. usotsuki

NEC V20 and CP/M

I mean exactly that.
  14. usotsuki

NEC V20 and CP/M

This makes me wonder how hard it would be to make a CP/M-80 3.1 BIOS for a PC with a V20, using the normal int10, int13, etc.
  15. usotsuki

I suspect it's timing. But I don't understand the hardware all that well to begin with. All I have to test against is MAME (I do have a Nabu with a FDC, but no floppy drives, so still not enough metal to test with), and apparently its emulation of the FD-1797 is a little too forgiving.
Back