• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by whaka

1. W

IBM PS/2 Power Supply - High pitch whine / no voltage under load / super hot 5w resistors

that's totally expected, they are here as dummy load. it's thank to them you can run this psu without load. as GiGaBiTe said, that smell a short on motherboard. you can highly suspect a shorted tantalum, they don't always go boom when shorted.
  2. W

IBM SCSI w/cache in PS/2 Model 50 troubles

sure, if you want a very decent programmer, you can look at the TL866II plus. it wasn't very expensive as new, now i'm sure you can find it second hand for very cheap.
  3. W

PS/2 Model 40/57/77 PSU - Capacitor list?

psu for these models exist under various brands, and probably various pcb revisions. as always for this kind of work... no real better way than DIY for your own case.
  4. W

sure it did, that's the whole point :) when i said it didn't have all the flavor of spock controller, it's because those controller are busmaster/DMA capable. patriot is a PIO card, so it'll eat some cpu, but better this than nothing of course.
  5. W

i don't know the compact hombrew, i only take the bigger with full size SD. i can't speak for the McIDE, i only know it by name. but on the XUB site, there's now a bios called "ps2", i didn't find any advice on what it is exaclty, but maybe it's for the McIDE? worth a try i guess :) if you...
  6. W

yep, to be sure RP2040 have a red PCB, older have a blue one. in my situation, on the model 70, the zuluscsi rev1.1 work flawless with the older spock but not with the spock prime. it is see, partitions are visible, but it fail to boot on, and sometime spit a long error number after ram...
  7. W

one of the most recent zuluscsi, based on raspberry pi RP2040 microcontroller.
  8. W

so i tested the spock prime in the 16 bit slot in the 70, and sure it work. seems the prime doesn't like the zuluscsi V1.1 (even with the latest firmware), but work fine with the RP2040. i don't know what to think about the 50/55sx, as ADF are present in the reference disk, i guess it's...
  9. W

just for info, i got exact same error with both old spock (one can) and spock prime (three cans) in a 55sx. i know the spock is fine, as it perfectly work with a zuluscsi in a model 70. maybe those cards were designed to be used in a real 32 bit machine bus, despite the connector is keyed to be...
  10. W

Western Europe for sell : 2MB expension for PS/1 2011-2121

hello, @superlolo i think you can check your DM's on system-cfg forum :) @jakobk sorry, i totally missed your messages. i leave you a DM but i saw you're under 10 posts after that. if you're still looking for an extension, and if you can leave an email address here, then i'll contact you :)
  11. W

PS/2 model 70, Etherlink III and windows 3.11 ?

but it's not the case here, that's all the problem :D (by the way, i tried windows 95 and no problem with it.) wfw 3.11 only want the card in the addresses ranges i give above, everythig else is considered as non valid. it's like if they only limited things to the isa version of the card, which...
  12. W

yes, not generally. it's mandatory, you can't bypass this. maybe MCA RS/6000 and their specific cards don't use ADF but i'm not sure :) i can't use the address range the ADF use by default (200h to 20Fh) because of a conflict, but i don't know with what. when you adjust manually, the machine...
  13. W

yes, you're right, i forgot to say i take care to not start the packet driver when i use windows. i just used the packet driver once to see what happen with it.
  14. W

yep, windows for workgroups.
  15. W

ok, so part of the answer is yes it's because it use an address range windows don't allow. i tried another etherlink 3 in a 55sx (so full 16 bit bus), by default the machine configure it to use address range 200 to 2F0 (iirc) this address range conflict with something (don't know what) on the...
Back