• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by whartung

1. W

End of the Z80?

There's this document floating around from Zilog: https://www.mouser.com/PCN/Littelfuse_PCN_Z84C00.pdf Basically saying that their foundry is going to no longer produce any new Z80 chips. (At least that's what it sounds like.) Not that I think we'll be running out any time soon, but notable...
  2. W

Writing Assemblers... What should a good assembler do?

To be honest, since the goal of writing the assembler is to write an assembler that can assemble the assembler, if he assembles the assembler successfully, there isn't any other test that really matters. Assemble the assembler, have that assembler assemble the assembler again, if the output...
  3. W

One of the techniques that compiler writers use is to rewrite higher level expressions into lower level ones that the compiler actually knows how to compile. As a contrived example, say you had if/else and wanted to add a case statement. case when a = 1 begin ... end; when...
  4. W

Indeed, for heavens sake don't listen to us! Your project, your challenges. For sure, see to me, I'd think about combining them. Saves some code memory through reuse, gain some simple functionality (i.e. parameters to includes). With the code savings you can add in the EQU mapping and clearing...
  5. W

As long as you're using global labels for your macro arguments, then pleas for naming the arguments will go on deaf ears. One problem with the ARG1, ARG2, ... scheme is that you can not insert an argument (easily) in the macro, since it pushes all of the others and the macro will have to be...
  6. W

Case suggestion for 2 floppy system

So the DLT cases have holes for the half height devices? I took a glance at one, and the PS didn't see (according to the label) to be that beefy. This is the bottom label from the one I linked earlier (a DEC unit): I read that as "100-240v 0.7-0.4 Amps". That seems low for pair of floppies...
  7. W

How did it work out? What did you need, and what did you do?
  8. W

Like this? Do these things have brackets that accommodate 1/2 height drives? Most of them don't have open faces, designed for internal drives. My other concern is clearance for the computer board.
  9. W

I have an SB180, I'd like to tinker with it, but it's a bare board. I have the 2, 5 1/4, floppies for it, and I have a 3rd party power supply. But I'd like to get a powered case for it. I'd like something that's just enough for the PS, board, and two floppies. Ideally I don't want to stuff it...
  10. W

Just a 'simple' Assembler for CP/M 3.....

Just note that M80 won't create the .COM directly, you'll need L80 to link it. I don't know if there are simpler assemblers.
  11. W

Anyone heard of this magazine?

I knew the people that published that magazine. They were the same people, but were related to the ANALOG Atari Magazine (after it was sold), and Electronic Games and Computer Entertainment.
  12. W

Two new TP adventures

It supports division as much as it supports multiplication -- i.e. not directly. Obviously you can multiply and divide on the 6502, its just slow. Well, even on processors that have hardware multiply and divide, it's still slow. Same way the block move instructions on the Z80, while one...
  13. W

Two new TP adventures

I have no experience with this. Normally, for simple integers, you take the first digit, add it to the result, then, if more digits, you shift the result by 10, and keep adding. Once you reach the decimal point, you could "simply" invert the remainder of the string (up to the exponent) and do...
  14. W

You can think of Macros much like the Includes, just manifest differently. The key differences are simply the (potential) logic involved, and, perhaps, the granularity (i.e. single file with several macros in it, rather than 1 "big" "stupid" macro per file). But much of the logic is the same...
  15. W

Just want to quip good job so far, sounds like you're getting a lot out of the project.
Back