• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by xelalex

1. xelalex

PSU recapping - what's the general consensus on when to do it?

The SPARCstation IPC/IPX PSUs (same model made by Sony in both) are known for capacitor faults. I have both, and the PSU caps had already leaked in each of them, so I recapped. I think PSUs in other SPARCstations are not as bad as in the IPC/IPX. Small tip: after recapping, you may have to...
  2. xelalex

The "Aviator" flight sim for Sun GX hardware (e.g. SPARCstations)

Since Aviator 1.2 failed on my IPC & IPX, I never tried 1.5. I'll check on that when I get some time. Maybe it works. BTW, both my IPC & IPX have a 2.9 PROM now, but the IPC originally came with a 1.6 PROM, if you're interested.
  3. xelalex

The "Aviator" flight sim for Sun GX hardware (e.g. SPARCstations)

I had a go at this on my SPARCstation IPC (single width GX Rev 8, i.e. cgsix) and IPX (onboard graphics). I get as far as the config panel, after that, the game unfortunately crashes. It looks like a graphics problem, but who knows. I'm using a copy of the SunOS 4.1.1 installation that came with...
  4. xelalex

Newbie looking to get into vintage unix workstations, requesting advice.

One thing to keep in mind about Sun IPC & IPX is that most likely the PSU will be dead. They both use the same PSU model made by Sony, which suffers from poor quality capacitors. In both my IPC and IPX they had leaked badly, luckily not onto the main board. Thorough cleaning and recapping fixed...
  5. xelalex

SUN SPARCstation 2 - serial console garbled after OS start?

Hi Dennis! I have similar issues with my SPARCstation IPC & IPX. What terminal program are you using? I currently use these two setups from Linux: 1) minicom: serial port is configured with 9600 7E1 (7 data bits, even parity, 1 stop bit). 2) screen: screen -T vt100 /dev/tty... I use 1) when...
  6. xelalex

v2.9 PROM for SPARCstation IPC & IPX

Excellent! I've already burnt the IPX ROM and installed it, works great. I'll probably do the IPC ROM tomorrow, need to find a UV light first... :p Thanks a lot!
  7. xelalex

v2.9 PROM for SPARCstation IPC & IPX

Hi, I've recently restored two SPARCstations, an IPC and an IPX. Major problem with both were faulty power supplies. That's all fixed now and I have them running Solaris 2.3 (via RaSCSI, works pretty well). Now I'd also like to upgrade the PROMs in these machines. In particular the IPC has a...
Back