• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by yorkie

1. Y

SCSI hard drive on 486

If the OP has either a SE, LVD or even SE/LVD Host Controller it will not help with a Differential device. LVD/SE is 5v whereas the Diff is 12v. Kev
  2. Y

Imprimis 94208-51

In the AT case I have the FH hdd that it is fitted in I find that it is supported by a "shelf" and not just the guide rails found to-day! Kev
  3. Y

Imprimis 94208-51

You are correct in that. My FH Fujitsu was s/h and cost, I think, about £200 and the HH Impris was double that. 1 (one) MB of SDRAM was about £30 - £50 depending on time frame. The cost a 1 MB VGA card - lets not go there. The gaming fraternity would laugh their socks off! But I bet that HP...
  4. Y

Imprimis 94208-51

Yeah, still fire up a system (my second in life) with a FH Fujitsu 330MB and Impris 330 MB ESDI drives. IDE, in those early days, did have a reputation for relatively quick failures compared to SCSI. The advice, then, was not to use them for anything requiring data archiving or data integrity...
  5. Y

Chkdsk files generation

Someguay, Yes, it is more than likely that ASCII files or part files can be re-constituted. That is why one will hear of some program or other being able to read a chk file. Even in a hex editor (and I've used them) still has the issue of determining (identifying) the next cluster. That next...
  6. Y

British Columbia IBM OS/2 Software

All may not be lost if there are no takers for adopting the entire lot! Collections always produce movement/storage issues. Thus you might have to think the unthinkable (a well known 1945 phrase) and sell of individually or in small lots. I used to purchase a lot of hardware/software from the...
  7. Y

Chkdsk files generation

Yeah, non of us are immortal. Which brings it's own questions when one takes into account scientific progress on DNA type research. Cloning etc., etc. --> no end of life! Anyways, just read a Microsoft comment within the post Win95 -> Win98 period that CHK files cannot be read by anything...
  8. Y

Windows 98 on a Pentium 4 tweener.

GiGa, I should think you have hit most of the nail on the head on this...........chip sets! Kev
  9. Y

Chkdsk files generation

Good pointer. I'll give it a try but I'm going to guess that as the file(s) contained within the zip might not be complete and it probably will be missing the EOF marker then pkzip will give an error. Still........! Kev
  10. Y

Chkdsk files generation

Thanks for the replies! Only had a look via a text editor until some forum member could give a better way. One file starts (relative) with PK and about 12 lines in gives a DLL file name from Windows\system. About another twelve lines into the chk file is another DLL file from Windows/System...
  11. Y

Chkdsk files generation

Hi all, When doing a chkdsk on a partition it created "found000" --> file000.chk files etc. What did we use in 'days of yore' to view and save any segments? A search on the web basically just throws up solutions for v7-->11 with the use of Event Viewer or Powershell. These will not be...
  12. Y

Pentium -s 100 MHz and OS/2 Warp 3.

Is your Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files configured to run both CD-Rom's in case you need to boot into PCDOS? If so, how did you achieve that. If not I guess you would be happy for just the one to be up and running. Warp, like W95/98 > has it's own boot and set-up files so the multi-drive...
  13. Y

I can't remember how to set voltage for K6-2 CPUs

Have you checked the Gigabyte web site for a pdf manual? If Gigabyte has junked it's info bank for that period then a general web search might get you a result. There are a few sites that specialize in holding manuals and software (within copyright laws I guess). Let the forum know any...
  14. Y

Win 98se USB issues

That's just the issue nowadays; no direct support to refresh memory. I notice that the ATAPI is rem'md out. I take it that if you want pure dos you take the rem command out? My system is all SCSI and I'm having difficulty locating older information for Adaptec. I seem to remember there was a...
  15. Y

Win 98se USB issues

Yes please Robbert! Add-on should work in Dos. After all, the cdr manufactures provided dos drivers and utilities. I think MS os's swap these files when called for. Autoexec.win becomes Autoexec.bat, ,say when needed! I'm led to believe that Me was first to only accept variable. Kev
Back