• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Unknown Sears Color RGB monitor Clone? Is this a 1084 clone?

Those long-shaft knobs were quite common on hot-chassis TVs and radios for the simple reason that one didn't want a bare metal control shaft sticking out if a knob were to come off. I think I still have a knob or two from an old Zenith TV like that.
If you have one Id be more than interested... Wink wink

So this is good news. Both cables I purchased came in.
The ones Chuck linked from walmart.com : https://www.walmart.com/ip/IEC-L5203-Sanyo-555-to-Taxan-Monitor-Cable-6/174822759 and http://www.connectworld.net/cgi-bin/cabled/L5210?

the one from Cable depot I was the most sceptical about. Once I made the order I never got an email, the website looks 20 years out of date, etc. But I called them and a woman answered. She found my order and then gave me the tracking number. I think they are a much, much smaller operation than they would lead one to believe.

So Now I have two cables. The one from Cable depot says its for connecting a LAser 128 and the one from walmart.com is for a Sanyo 555 Japan only computer to a Taxan monitor.

I would like to start adapting and testing these cables with things I own that have RGB. Right off the bat I have the Apple IIgs, Apple IIe (with RGB card), Apple ///, Visual Commuter 1083 (has a din style rgb video out for CGA so the Sanyo cable is a good candidate to modify for that. And obviously a 9 pin CGA connector. I was thinking of building one cable and daisy chaining other connectors off of it.

I havent done this type of video cable testing before so I guess my hesitation is how do I know what the pinout on the Sears monitor is so I can begin making a cable? I would like to start with the Apple IIe RGB and Apple IIgs (if possible).

Any advice on making these cables would be appreicated. I have these pinouts so far to go off but I need more obviously.

Unfortunately our chipmunks are why I cant garden. We have hundreds of them burrowing and eating all th eroots of everything including the lawn... I hate the mangy vermin.
Try a .177 air rifle if legal in your area. Connecticut has some of the tightest gun laws in the country.

Try a .177 air rifle if legal in your area. Connecticut has some of the tightest gun laws in the country.
I own one.. bought it for that purpose.. Do you know fast those little things are? I couldnt hit them to feed my starving family.. like little lightning bolts.

Something occured to me. What if the PCB has the pinouts on it.. Its covered by an RF shield soldered on but I removed it.
IMG_20220526_114827.jpgIMG_20220526_114833.jpg

So this is what I have so far. Not sure what pin 1 is though, as its labeled "I"

Pinout.jpg

This is a great start. I need to go move some firewood and repair a large tarp but next I will post the pinouts of the two cables I received.

Depends on the monitor. Some monitors support both analog and TTL RGB with either a switch or auto sensing.

Since your monitor also has a composite video input, I think it's likely to accept analog RGB.

So the Apple IIgs outputs ANALOG RGB, can this rgb port be used for that?

The "I" indicates it's digital RGB. Unless there's a switch to change it to analog RGB then it's not going to be happy with an Apple IIgs' input.

Since your monitor also has a composite video input, I think it's likely to accept analog RGB.

Digital RGBI was more much common on (American) home/business computers for most of the 1980's so I don't think it'd be particularly unusual for a multi-mode monitor of that era to omit Analog RGB.

I agree. Maybe I should have said "more likely." As opposed to a CGA monitor with only one input intended for use with just PCs.

it wouldnt hurt to try would it? just to see the results would be a nice lesson learned.

You could try, I think the analog signals from the IIgs are the normal 0.7v peak analog signals like VGA, which shouldn't hurt TTL-level inputs. (0.7v is a TTL-low, so it'll probably just be a black screen even if it's pure white.) The other issue is I'm pretty sure the Apple IIgs is composite sync, not separate Hsync/Vsync. You could try hooking up the composite output to the composite in on the monitor and see if it'll take a sync from that port when it's in RGB mode, or feeding the composite sync into either or both of the H/Vsync inputs, but I'm not optimistic for your chances.

I own one.. bought it for that purpose.. Do you know fast those little things are? I couldnt hit them to feed my starving family.. like little lightning bolts.
I agree. We have a small contingent here but are "too cute" to plug, so she says.

You could try, I think the analog signals from the IIgs are the normal 0.7v peak analog signals like VGA, which shouldn't hurt TTL-level inputs. (0.7v is a TTL-low, so it'll probably just be a black screen even if it's pure white.) The other issue is I'm pretty sure the Apple IIgs is composite sync, not separate Hsync/Vsync. You could try hooking up the composite output to the composite in on the monitor and see if it'll take a sync from that port when it's in RGB mode, or feeding the composite sync into either or both of the H/Vsync inputs, but I'm not optimistic for your chances.

Just for kicks I may try it out.

I agree. We have a small contingent here but are "too cute" to plug, so she says.
When you have literally HUNDREDS of them burrowing holes throughout your yard and killing all your grass, cuteness stops being a factor. Using electronic traps and point I have gotten maybe 50. But considering how fast they reproduce its not even the slightest dent on the population. I cant even hire an exterminator because I have been told in my state you need a trapping license to deal with them that those are hard to come by so they just dont bother. I told my wife Id like to buy about 20 rat snakes if I could find a seller. See here in new england we have all these old property marker walls made of loose rubble stone. They surround my property and they are like a metropolis for those vermin. I figure the snakes would make a home there and eat them up relatively quickly. Then you would have to deal with black 4 foot snakes showing up from time to time.. and even I am squeamish on snakes.

have one. she only caught 2. and the aformentioned rock wall has caused cuts to her eyeball and face chasing them.. so not really an option.

Well, no problem here with a black lab chasing them. I think ours are larger though--they're Townsend's chipmunks. They once got into the wall of our house and used it as seed storage. Rotted out about 6 ft of sill plate and cripple studs. Not cheap to repair. From then, any gaps in the house walls have been stuffed with aluminum screening and sprayed with foam. Seems to have worked. I have a woodpile in the back yard that I know is full of the buggers.

thats a damn shame. we has black ants nest in our basement walls which took spraying. thats it besides carpenter bees and bats nesting along the eves of the house.

Back