• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My quick solution for the broken trim panel brackets

gnupublic

Experienced Member
drilling a 5mm hole, cutting a 6mm thread, srewing in a M6 Nylon screw. Cutting the length and pressing the front flat with an engineers pliers. This works really good, even with a pdp8/a frontpanel.
I might use a black Nylon next time....

1657643337301.jpeg

Best wishes,
Volker

I like it! It's reasonably easy to do, uses inexpensive replaceable parts, and seems unlikely to damage the delicate cups that the buttons press into.

Vince

drilling a 5mm hole, cutting a 6mm thread, srewing in a M6 Nylon screw. Cutting the length and pressing the front flat with an engineers pliers. This works really good, even with a pdp8/a frontpanel.
I might use a black Nylon next time....

I assume the M6 nylon screw has a counter-sunk head?
Why did you have to press the front flat?
If it was for better/thighter fit, maybe 1/4" (6.35 mm) nylon screws would work better without the need for flattening?

No, there is no counter for the screw, even in the tread just pressing the nylon a bit counters enough. So I got 2 from one srew.
6,35mm would be too much I think, the original black balls are 6,35mm. You do not center the drill and thread that exact.
It works really good like it is, even if it's quick (and dirty).

No, there is no counter for the screw, even in the tread just pressing the nylon a bit counters enough. So I got 2 from one srew.
6,35mm would be too much I think, the original black balls are 6,35mm. You do not center the drill and thread that exact.
It works really good like it is, even if it's quick (and dirty).
Hi Volker, a "counter-sunk head screw" is "Senkkopfschraube" in German.
Your photo does not show the back of the bracket, but it appears to lay flat on the white background.
This made me think that you used a "Senkkopfschraube", but maybe you just used a nylon threaded rod without any head.

Thanks for the translation. That was my first plan to do this. But I did not found any counter-sunk head screw. I only had screws with "cheese head" (?) in my box. So I cut this off and used the screw thread only.
But 16mm M6 counter-sunk head screws would be very fine.

Back