• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Noob having a mid life crisis - Wife wondering why I bought a 35+y/o cpu

Venger

Experienced Member
How did I get into this so late? Played with all these growing up. I bought a Apple IIgs last week and Im about to replace the battery.

Looking into buying a nice Apple IIe and then get some expansion cards.

Good news is I have experience with Dos as a kid.

Bad News is that we once input "Del" and wiped Dad's computer. That was the last time we were allowed to use it.

Welcome to the forums!

Bad News is that we once input "Del" and wiped Dad's computer. That was the last time we were allowed to use it.

Reminds me of when I was a kid and discovered this interesting DOS tool called FDisk and promptly deleted all the partitions on the drive, without having a boot floppy and with a version of DOS that forced a reboot once the changes were made. My parents were not very happy with me that day.

>>> Wife wondering why I bought a 35+y/o cpu.

1. It boots super fast when you turn it on (unlike most modern machines) and doesn't require software updates every week!

2. Your wife knows where you are and that you are not up to anything that she wouldn't disapprove of...

Dave

How did I get into this so late? Played with all these growing up. I bought a Apple IIgs last week and Im about to replace the battery.

Looking into buying a nice Apple IIe and then get some expansion cards.

Good news is I have experience with Dos as a kid.

When I started in the computer department at work we had one PC to use for word processing. I needed to format a floppy but forgot to type the A: and formatted the HD. The followed a frantic hour finding a copy of undelete, then thinking of first letters for hundreds of files

>>> Wife wondering why I bought a 35+y/o cpu.

1. It boots super fast when you turn it on (unlike most modern machines) and doesn't require software updates every week!

2. Your wife knows where you are and that you are not up to anything that she wouldn't disapprove of...

Dave
Number 2 is the winner with my wife :) though she does despair at the number of machines. Fortunately we have a 5 bed house and have just got rid of the last two kids, and now I get my own room :)

I just look at my wifes collection of Depression glass that takes up two rooms in our house and I ask if she minds if I put another purchase on my Paypal account and ask her to watch for the package in a few weeks!

I fell into this early enough that I got a lot of stuff before it became so difficult to find. Picked a lot at the dump and got a lot at surpluss stores. Now there is not many sources left around me. It wasn't until recently that I started actually buying stuff.

Like you I had DOS skills but I did not have experience with Apple II stuff. I now have an Apple IIe (working) and an Apple IIc (not working). I would love to get an Apple IIgs but am hesitant to buy over the internet since I don't know enough about them yet. I can diagnose a PC pretty good. Not yet too good with Apple II stuff.

Welcome to the forum.

Seaken

I just look at my wifes collection of Depression glass that takes up two rooms in our house and I ask if she minds if I put another purchase on my Paypal account and ask her to watch for the package in a few weeks!

I fell into this early enough that I got a lot of stuff before it became so difficult to find. Picked a lot at the dump and got a lot at surpluss stores. Now there is not many sources left around me. It wasn't until recently that I started actually buying stuff.

Like you I had DOS skills but I did not have experience with Apple II stuff. I now have an Apple IIe (working) and an Apple IIc (not working). I would love to get an Apple IIgs but am hesitant to buy over the internet since I don't know enough about them yet. I can diagnose a PC pretty good. Not yet too good with Apple II stuff.

Welcome to the forum.

Seaken
There were a couple fairly priced iigs systems at the vcf east swap meet in NJ earlier this year. Keep an eye out or ask the forum.

Reactions: ACK
Back