• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Philips MICOM 2001

JudithAnn

A friend asked me to post his 1980's computer to see if it generates any interest. It is a Philips brand, MICOM 2001. It was $20,000 new, back in the day. It's in awesome shape, full working computer (actually, I think it was a word-processor, mostly), floppy disks (8") and manuals. The Vintage Computer Museum in Canada says they have 2 of them, and usually generate a lot of nostalgia among people who used to work for the company, or whose first computer on the job was one of these RARE, odd, unusual machines. Take a look and let me know what you think!

(One photo attached, I have more if you are interested.)

All reasonable offers will be considered.

Attachments

• P1010021 (640x480).jpg
    P1010021 (640x480).jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 36
A friend asked me to post his 1980's computer to see if it generates any interest. It is a Philips brand, MICOM 2001. It was $20,000 new, back in the day. It's in awesome shape, full working computer (actually, I think it was a word-processor, mostly), floppy disks (8") and manuals. The Vintage Computer Museum in Canada says they have 2 of them, and usually generate a lot of nostalgia among people who used to work for the company, or whose first computer on the job was one of these RARE, odd, unusual machines. Take a look and let me know what you think!

(One photo attached, I have more if you are interested.)

All reasonable offers will be considered.

Can you list your location. Thanks. Not interested myself but I know someone in the Netherlands who collects Philips computers.

So not at all expected but apparently she's in Austin :) Saw this pop up on todays vintage craigslist crawl. Wouldn't have expected that with the Museum of Canada comment. No clue though if she's looking to get it to a collection or make money or both. Certainly a unique system Probably a tough one to squeak by the wife though.

What do these systems run for an OS? Quite an interesting machine.

Proprietary word processing software. Systems used 8080, then Z80 CPUs. Micom was founded by Stephen Dorsey, the founder of AES, after AES ran into problems.
I think at some point, Philips offered a version of CP/M as an add-on, but I'd have to check my files.
Here's a page for the 2000 that might give you an idea of the thing.

Unless you're a Canadian wupro aficionado, I don't see much value in these and similar OA systems of the 80s.

Resurrecting this old thread... I'm now the proud owner of a Philips Micom 2001, complete with the custom L-shaped desk, printer, display/keyboard, Racal-Vadic 103 "Modemphone" that was supplied with it and main CPU. This unit has some local (British Columbia) historical significance as it was involved with Expo86. There's many 8" floppies that were included with it as well.

There's definitely not many of these around anymore!!

Once I get everything all re-assembled, I'll take some photos and post them here. The machine is already in very good condition - near museum quality... once I clean it up, it will look like new.
1659682095706.png1659682125193.png1659682148193.png

Last edited:
Reactions: ACK
I'll submit the gentle reminder that rarity doesn't account for much in the vintage world. There were lots of word processor boxes in the 1970s--and nobody seems to want them. Back then, our operation used an Artec word processor--Diablo Hitype KSR with one-line LCD display connected to a floor-standing box with 8" drives. I've yet to run across one of these again. The same goes for a lot of other word processors.

That because they neither can run as a terminal or run any memorable operating system you can make semi-practical use out of?

Some of these were sold with a CP/M option. I believe that the Philips unit was. But there were much cheaper alternatives--and then you had to train your people in use of CP/M.

Sort of akin to the situation with Sun workstations and Interleaf. There were people trained in Interleaf, who hadn't a clue about Unix. The two skillsets didn't usually intersect.

@Chuck(G), the value in such a system is that it exists. Hobbies are like that. Personally I am facinated just looking at it and would love to see it in action. Not very practical, sure. But sometimes you just gotta have some fun, right?

Seaken

Back