• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Antivirus Ms-Dos 3.30

You could boot from floppy, then copy the files to HDD (again) if they wont fit on a single floppy, and run from HDD, just don't boot off the hard drive. Sounds like you've got something modifying program files, like a good old fashioned virus.

Just my two cents.

If it still does it after that then it's something else, but that's the first thing I'd try.

You could boot from floppy, then copy the files to HDD (again) if they wont fit on a single floppy, and run from HDD, just don't boot off the hard drive. Sounds like you've got something modifying program files, like a good old fashioned virus.

Just my two cents.

If it still does it after that then it's something else, but that's the first thing I'd try.

Hi SpidersWeb and thanks for the reply!

I did that you advised me,I started the pc with floppy ms-dos 5 inserted yesterday so clean!
I launched the program always from floppy without ever having entered the hard disk, and as previously before has run a hardware test I think then finished that test came out again the same warning as before!

I have no idea how to use these Viruscan.

I tried this program always with the same floppy on another pc-xt and does the same problem ..

But do these programs work for you?

Your boot floppy could also be infected. I'm using F-PROT 2.27 actively without any single problem in my XT and other 808X/80286 computers.

Thank you for replying to Pcdata76

I solved by taking a new floppy and pasted the zip that contained AVSCAN and its files.
I did load DOS and then pave the floppy with the command AVSCAN.EXE and it worked, only that it did only scan the floppy,so I tried to send the command AVSCAN.EXE C: and it worked !!
It found 4 EXE files infected on the hard drive and were of the Jerusalem virus!
Then oh tried to copy the whole AVSCAN program from floppy to hard disk with the command:
C:\Copy A:\*.* C:\ANTIVIR\*.*
After running the copy I launched the anti-virus program from the hard drive and it is locked again with the same warning,so it does not work from C:
Why?

Hello BloodyCactus,I deleted the 4 infected files after restarting the pc then re-run AVscan and found nothing more then now I'm okay?

Then oh tried to copy the whole AVSCAN program from floppy to hard disk with the command:
C:\Copy A:\*.* C:\ANTIVIR\*.*
That isn't the best policy.

The antivirus program should be run from a write-protected floppy. Running it from any unprotected drive leaves it open to corruption/infection.

You're right stone but for example with F-Prot that I can only run it from C: because I do not have enough space on the floppy how do I transfer F-Prot to the hard disk?

My two cents worth. I bought an old IDE hard drive on eBay that was packed with a collection of 90's era viruses (thanks a lot). Stoned got loose in my collection from that before I realized what was happening. I used Norton AV 2000 on a Windows 98 tweener to clean up my floppys and hard drives. The hard drives that were to old to be connected to the tweener I cleaned up with McAfee DOS scanner.

What about Turbo Anti-Virus v8 by Carmel/EPG ?
From what I remember, that's from 1990/91 and runs on 8088/286 Personal Computers.

Re: AVSCAN message: sounds very similar to some of the anti-piracy protections put into commercial products. Is your copy a legal original copy?

Also, I seem to recall that MSDOS 5.0 came bundled with an antivirus program. It just might run on DOS 3.3.

I remember using CPAV (Central Point Anti Virus) in the old days, but nowadays F-Prot is probably the best option as it has a virus database much more up to date than anything else for MS-DOS.

Wouldn't a modern anti-virus on a modern PC be a better solution? Extract the files form the disk image, run a scan on them, then if they pass use the image. Am I missing something?

Wouldn't a modern anti-virus on a modern PC be a better solution? Extract the files form the disk image, run a scan on them, then if they pass use the image. Am I missing something?

Yes, but...

But there are a few assumptions there:
- that the new AV retained the signatures of MS-DOS viruses - as many MS-DOS executables cannot run in the system the AV requires to run, they represent no threat and can (theoretically) be dropped from the signature DB.
- that the user is comfortable using only disk images in the future - they are practical, but at some point he may want to transform it into an old HDD making this solution impractical

Back