• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Greetings form the land of Oklahoma.

washitaeagle

Long time creeper, but first time to post.
I own a slew of classic computers and am a professional video producer by trade.
Apple IIe, IIgs, Trs804p, HP 486DX2.
My wife would look at this post and know that I was lying since I have multiple 4Ps, Mac, COCO, and Apples.
back of truck - 1.jpeg

I have been messing around with computers since the early 80s when dad traded a pinto station wagon for a model 4p.
He then started bringing home computers to get them ready for the classroom. As the head counselor for the elementary schools in town and a master at writing he grants he knew how to acquire computers for the classroom for little or no cost. We had a constant stream of Macs, Apples, Tandys and even IBM PCjrs through out the house and we got to use them all.
We were active members of a local trs80 user group in OKC and drove up once a month from our small town to discover new things we could do with our computer. We were friends with a local named Kelly Bates who screen dumped the game Volcano which is now stuff of internet legend/lore. I even own his model 4p. I might have owned his model 4 but that is another story.
user group - 1.jpeg
After I left to become an adult, Dad and I continued to get together and go to local computer auctions around the state. We ended up buying lots of computers...lots. This is over a 10 year period. Early 90s, to late 00s. Throughout those years Dad would fix up the "old" computers and give them away to students in need. Set these families up to be able to word process and play games, learn to type and get better at math right at home. He did wonders. At some point mom got tired of it and asked me to come down and help dad weed out his collections. We took a lot to a local recycler...lots, and kept some of the machines. This is probably where I got rid of multiple 4s, including Kelly's.
My little brother experienced the same stuff as I did although he didn't go to the auctions as much as I did.
back of truck - 1.jpeg
We lost dad about 2years ago. This forced me to go down to our old house that they had moved out of but left a bunch of the computers behind. Now they are dust covered, a very few still had batteries in them, but most had been removed, and a lot have cap issues, especially the Macintosh series. I have been "cleaning them" getting them to boot and selling a lot off to local enthusiasts via craigslist...which has allowed me to make new friends who enjoy these old machines as much as I do.
kbates4p - 1.jpeg
PEACE,
WASHITA EAGLE
(Darrin H.)
Kelly Bates machine.jpeg

Welcome Darrin aka WASHITA EAGLE. Sorry to hear about your dad. Lost my FIL last year and he was instrumental in my early computing adventures.

That's quite a haul you got there. It's becoming harder and hard to find good stuff around here. But I still occasionally get something good. My last good find was a Tandy 1000HD. I'm currently working on several old machines in my lab. One is an Atari 800 - trying to figure out how to get a power adapter. I think I found one.

I also have an Apple IIe and an Apple IIc. Got a lot of help here in setting them up.

Look forward to hearing more about our collection.

Seaken

Welcome Darrin aka WASHITA EAGLE. Sorry to hear about your dad. Lost my FIL last year and he was instrumental in my early computing adventures.

That's quite a haul you got there. It's becoming harder and hard to find good stuff around here. But I still occasionally get something good. My last good find was a Tandy 1000HD. I'm currently working on several old machines in my lab. One is an Atari 800 - trying to figure out how to get a power adapter. I think I found one.

I also have an Apple IIe and an Apple IIc. Got a lot of help here in setting them up.

Look forward to hearing more about our collection.

Seaken
Thanks Seaken
My wife is an angel and is being very patient. She doesnt mind it when I take her out for a date night with some of my computer money lately, so it works out.

I am currently messing with my TRS 80 4p and upgrading my HP 486DX2. Nere a CD-ROM for the HP.

I would love a Tandy 1000HD, I noticed I had an extra card for a 1000 here. Not sure what it's for. My brother and I played a lot of DOS games on a Tandy 1000 back in the day, beat them too..

Back