• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Identifying capacitors on TEAC floppy controller board

6.8uF bipolar caps are a common garden part, Jaycar has them in stock and you can get them from their mail order division for 55c each:

or you could get rid of these, probably what I would do, and replace them with Wima 6.8uF 50V film caps, which are fairly compact for this capacity & voltage if they will fit in the allowed space height wise:

In most of my transistor radio/TV/VDU/computer restorations these days I tend to eliminate the electrolytic caps, when I can in favor of film ones. Generally this is practical, physical size wise, when the values are under 10uF and the voltage ratings below 100v. This way you won't ever find yourself having to replace them again and there are no more leakage issues to worry about.

Last edited:
Oh right. I was looking at C25, C16, etc in the original pic. Sorry about that.

But the question still remains. *Those* are ceramic caps, right?

I'm likely wrong but it is hard to see the decimal point in the picture from the lighting. I suspect, as usual, Chuck, you are right. They may be 6.8uf. It is just hard to tell.
16 uf would be closer but 10 uf would be easier to find. One should note that the capacitors will last longer if carefully matched in value. An imbalance will make a stronger back current and shorten their lives. Still I suspect for their intended use, either 16 uf or 10 uf capacitors would be fine.
Dwight

Yup! 6.8uF 50V. By back-to-back, do you mean parallel or series? My meter will do for measuring 10-16uF so I can match them closely.

Series--positive-to-positive or negative-to-negative. Like polarities to the circuit. However--

For whatever it's worth, higher-capacitance MLCC radial-lead caps are available example. They're also available in stacked SMT packaging.

Intrinsically non-polar and will probably last longer than you will.

The best capacitors for replacements are the Wima type I put a link to on post #22, they are very well made, quality & reliable 5% film types, and they practically never fail.

Doing some salvage on a junk TV board I found a non-polarized capacitor!
Sadly, it's only 4.7uF and is just a hair too large...
(comparison to a AA battery here)
4,7uF-nonpolar.png

View attachment 1252436
Time to find an excuse to buy these caps and other stuff from Digikey. I always use their 1st class USPS option for small items and it works well. Might help I live in their home state.

But the last time I used Mouser's economy shipping option it took 7 weeks to arrive.

On electrolytics the BP designation is definitely bi-polar aka non-polarised.
They are readily available, but not necessarily in a wide range of values, so you may need to try a close value.

View attachment 1252436
That sort of large non polarized capcitor is likely not your common garden NP cap. It was probably the yoke coupling capacitor for the Horizontal scan coils. They have an extremely low ESR, usually about 0.15 Ohms, or less. They have to be like this because the peak H scan currents can reach 3Amps. The are well replaced by a film capacitor, or oil filled capacitor, where the construction has the wire leads welded to the foils. You cannot buy that type of NP capacitor from any supplier currently, that is why, when you come to replace them in a VDU, you need a film or oil filled type.

Back