• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What pre-boot checks should you perform on a computer that's sat for several decades?

etcher-sage

I recently acquired a Northstar Advantage computer and want to check if it still works. The previous owner claims the last time they used it, 20 years ago, it didn't have any issues. It's been some time since then, and I'd like to avoid it catching fire if at all possible. But I'm pretty clueless about what to check before trying to boot it, so hoping to get some advice on the physical things to check before attempting to boot the system. Ideally, I'd like to minimize the chances of a fire and help the chances of a successful boot as much as possible.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you! :D

Not familiar with this system in particular, but here's the general checklist:

1. Check for battery leaks. This depends on what type of CMOS battery, if it had one at all, these used. If it's a NiCad, NiMH, or non-rechargeable Lithium battery, it may have leaked.
2. Check for anything obviously burnt or corroded.
3. If possible, test voltages off the Power Supply. Some PSUs need a load on them to output properly.
4. Open up the power supply and check for any RIFA filter capacitors. They look life this (after they've exploded). And yes, they blow up. Not damaging usually, but it can stink up your house with smoke. If you see one, remove it. The PSU can run without it usually, though you'll want to install a new one, as they exist for a reason and are there to do somethingorother that isn't completely necessary to test with but is still important, for reasons I don't fully understand. This is all only if you do see one in there.

In general, you won't see one of these light on fire or anything like that. The worst is that a RIFA cap will blow, which is a pain, but not damaging.

Hi,

In addition to the physical checks for blown up / leaky capacitors suggested, familiarize yourself with it - this is like helpful: https://deramp.com/downloads/north_star/ Also if you have disk media with it, its best to make sure your drives are working properly and not eating floppies. If you have a cryoflux / greaseweasel disk imaging setup it may be worth trying to images any media coming with the thing. This will also let you create new boot media. What you dont want to do is just jam in the only copy of the system disk and have it destroyed. ( Because I've done that, and its stinks. )

Back