• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. Chuck(G)

CP/M, Coprocessor extensions and the 8087... Did it ever happen?

In fact, that's what a few programs like 22nice (early versions) and CPMulator do. The great part is that the CBIOS can be very small, as the heavy lifting is done in x86 mode, outside of the 64K running in 8080 mode. Nihil sub sole novum--I wrote that stuff somewhere around 1987--had the...
  2. Chuck(G)

WD40EZAZ "storage" drives write slower than molasses in January.

A SATA drive will always report the drive characteristics via the IDENTIFY command. There are various tools for getting that information. 5400 RPM spinning rust drives are not made to be fast, mostly low-power. You may want to consider a "staged" storage approach, if appropriate. Keep all...
  3. Chuck(G)

Pentium 4

The high end ones were 10GFlop: Interesting thing was these were bulk CMOS implementations. Vector machines. The air-cooled "Piper" model was the 50+ MFlop version.
  4. Chuck(G)

Pentium 4

ETA-10 (originally named the GF-10) was 10 GFlop. Not bad for mid 1980s. Of course, this was still in the day of big uniprocessors.
  5. Chuck(G)

Pentium 4

Closest production system with cooling like that I can recall is the ETA-10 super. Boards immersed in liquid N₂. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETA10
  6. Chuck(G)

Seeking AT Type Driver for Artisoft AE-2/C Ethernet Card

If it's a real 5170, then it uses an 80286 CPU; same idea if it has 16-bit ISA slots. FWIW, you can run the AE2 in 8 bit mode on a 16-bit ISA system.
  7. Chuck(G)

Northern Europe Floppy Disk Controller for PCI for using a colorado STreamer

Probably not going to happen. An FDC requires both interrupt and DMA service. Every ISA motherboard after about Intel 440BX/P3 is going to have problems with 8 bit DMA. I'd be delighted to be disabused of this idea, but it hasn't happened yet. There are some compatible ATA-interface...
  8. Chuck(G)

Seeking AT Type Driver for Artisoft AE-2/C Ethernet Card

A 5170 has two 8259 PICs. Were that not the case, you couldn't use your 16-bit hard disk controller. https://wiki.osdev.org/Interrupts The AE2 should work fine in NE2000 mode--I've got two AE2/Ts and they work just fine. I probably have the Artisoft drivers on 5.25" disk somewhere...
  9. Chuck(G)

Gordon Bell passes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Bell Aged 89 Yeah, I know the kidz will say, "Who he?"
  10. Chuck(G)

There are lots of math coprocessors (relatively speaking), but OP has his heart set on an 8087. Really, I'm still for running an 8088+8087 as a slave to the Z80. But we've already been there.
  11. Chuck(G)

Pentium 4

Given Intel's penchant for place names, how about "Hoquiam"?
  12. Chuck(G)

From Japanese WikiPedia (translated) on the PC-8800: A lot of sources say that the PC88VA used a NEC V50, but the stock V50 implements only 8080 mode. The µPD9002 was apparently a tweaked V50 with custom microcode. In the universe of the V-series CPUs, this would not be unusual--there are a...
  13. Chuck(G)

They didn't have Z80 mode; only 8080 and 8086 mode. There were more than just the V20 and V30. The V40 and V50 integrated a substantial number of peripherals; some, like the V35, had alternate register sets (bankswitched registers), DRAM refresh counters, external code encryption,... Lots...
  14. Chuck(G)

XT motherboard (dtk clone) keyboard error.

The signalling for the XT (and AT) keyboard is bidirectional using the Data and Clock lines. Of course, the +5 supplies power to the keyboard. So on the XT side, the data is strictly keyboard-to-host, but the clock line can be pulled low by either the host or the keyboard...
  15. Chuck(G)

Well, if you're after absolute absurdity, how about interfacing an absolutely-contemporaneous FPS AP-120B to a Z80? Clock speed is about right, all you need is some "glue"... :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FPS_AP-120B
  16. Chuck(G)

I recall the 8089, which was dismissed out of hand by us. Only 2 DMA channels, expensive, and requiring its own memory (ROM/RAM) to execute. And it wasn't cheap. There may have been some niche products to use it, but none come to mind. Perhaps Intel might have done better creating a 8/16...
  17. Chuck(G)

Intel PDS-100

Awww... The oil lamp is a nice touch. There's plenty of documentation, should you ever get the itch to rebuild the PCB.
  18. Chuck(G)

What's wrong with my timer chaining code? (3Com PCI packet driver mystery)

Not unusual. I remember having the same problem when using an Intel ICE-85 on an 8085 system. With the ICE plugged into the CPU socket, everything worked. Otherwise, every once in awhile, hangup city. I eventually resorted to adding code the the TRAP vector to at least show what was in...
  19. Chuck(G)

Intel PDS-100

Just a single 5.25" floppy? That must make running anything serious on ISIS-II interesting.
Back