• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. G

RK05 disk emulator development and discussion

Most of the controllers that I've looked at that work with the Diablo Model 31 and RK05 have the following format and timing: It has an all-zero preamble of some length followed by a Sync Bit which is a "1", followed by some other fields and data, followed by an all-zero postamble. The Read...
  2. G

I made a table of the values for each of these controllers but it has many other related parameters so it would probably be confusing and could be simplified. Will upload that soon
  3. G

DECE BC01V Serial cable berg connector question + TA500 (PDP-8/A) fan question

I used this fan in my PDP-8/m case. It may also fit your case https://a.co/d/caYkyy8
  4. G

Cross reference and/or source needed for AC capacitor in DEC 861F power controller

You may want to save the old one after removal (keeping it well-sealed so the brown goo doesn’t leak out) in case you decide later to implement Tom’s idea. I like to keep the old stuff as close to its original configuration as possible
  5. G

Cross reference and/or source needed for AC capacitor in DEC 861F power controller

It might be easier to just disconnect the capacitor but you'll need to have a dual quick-connect tab to connect the pairs of terminals that you removed from the capacitor, because each terminal of the cap has a dual terminal. Then robustly insulate the quick connect tabs that you've connected...
  6. G

Diablo Series 30 connectors

True. This could be done, so a terminator with a dual 40-pin socket connector could do the job. There are a number of different Diablo variants though, I suppose people could populate whichever resistors they feel are necessary. I don't know enough to provide guidance for that. e.g. when to use...
  7. G

Oh, almost forgot, one more thing about the Diablo terminators... there are a couple of mistakes in the schematics. There's a resistor with an incorrect reference designator on each schematic. I checked all versions of the maintenance manuals in this folder...
  8. G

Have designed an adapter to convert from Diablo pins or sockets to the RK8-E dual 40-pin flat cable interface. The PCBs are predicted to arrive today. Looked at the terminators. 11175 family has socket pins on the terminator, 11174 has pins on the terminator. I made a table in Excel that can...
  9. G

Probably from folks who bought the Diablo drives from the same seller. I also noticed that the 15-pin socket connectors are gone, which is what you need to connect the external power supply to the Diablo Series 30.
  10. G

Thanks Mike. I think I'm okay with respect to 3D printing. I will ask you for help with testing the emulator as a tester with the Arraid emulators using the Diablo adapter. Will email with details.
  11. G

Classic PDP-8 Donation at the RICM

I think it refers to the B, R, and S series of Flip Chip modules used in the straight-8. When I built a minor variant of the Stearns/MThompson/VRS tester a few years ago, I think I recall seeing somewhere in Vince's document library some description of the regular tester that would work with the...
  12. G

JLCPCB is currently building these (almost complete): The top one, Adapter P, can be built with an MRAC42P mounted on the bottom side and 4 headers on the top side. The second one, Adapter P Keystone, can be built with 42 Keystone 1362-2 Micro Pins mounted on the bottom side and 4 headers on...
  13. G

California RK05 emulator and accessories

The four emulators from this build have been shipped but another build of about 30 units is planned. The 30 will probably be available in July. Let me know if you’d like to be added to the planning spreadsheet if you haven’t already done so. If you’ve already PM’ed or emailed me with details...
  14. G

Thanks! Looks like you've reached 10 messages so I'll PM you with more details.
  15. G

Yes, that's definitely an issue. The RK05 operates in one of two modes based on the state of the BUS_RK11D_L signal: BUS_RK11D_L not active – RK05 interprets the drive select signals as individual enable signals in sort of a one-hot scheme. This is the same selection mechanism used in the...
  16. G

Oh, Good point! The Diablo Adapter board connects the AC Low and DC Low through between the 40-pin flat cable connectors but any of the configurations in the use case diagrams in this post that loop through the Diablo won't work...
  17. G

Here's an attempt to record the likely use cases... tried to capture the most likely configurations. There could be two types of Diablo Adapter, a "pin version" (the most common configuration) and another with sockets. The socket version of the adapter is highlighted in yellow in the...
  18. G

In addition to the adapter PCB, I/m looking into using one of the following types of pins to make the "P" side of the connector: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/mill-max-manufacturing-corp/5849-0-00-15-00-00-03-0/17634857...
  19. G

Thanks! Much appreciated! I believe PDP-11 12-sector mode is already supported. However, it's only been tested in 12-sector mode using the emulator as a tester connected to another emulator operating in 12-sector mode. It's possible I could have interpreted the behavior incorrectly on both...
Back