• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. M

Mid Atlantic IBM PS/2 Model L40 SX Laptop, Accessories, Documentation – A Rare Opportunity

BTW, you have most of the original paper there. Additional information and links to downloads for the references diskettes can be found on my site: https://www.brutman.com/IBM_PS2_L40SX/IBM_PS2_L40SX_Notes.html I have a few of these machines in varying states of repair. My site has my...
  2. M

Mid Atlantic IBM PS/2 Model L40 SX Laptop, Accessories, Documentation – A Rare Opportunity

Lestershire, I also did my 18 years at IBM, but in Rochester, MN. You need to look at completed eBay auctions for a few weeks if you want to determine a reasonable market value. And even then, only the ones that actually sell are usable data points. This machine looks to be reasonably intact...
  3. M

One of the boot screens in the auction pictures shows 6MB. It also shows error codes, one of them for the CMOS battery being dead and the other I think is a hard drive failure. These machines all came with Connor hard drives so if it booted to Cassette BASIC then the hard drive is either...
  4. M

Uh, the "Victor" tag means nothing so don't get too wound up over it. The story might check out and the existence of an extra tag or piece of paper really doesn't change anything.
  5. M

That price is delusional. It has a memory upgrade to bring it up to 6MB, but it also has a failed hard drive. And it doesn't say anything about the state of the floppy drive which is kind of important. Good luck, but that's a $400 or $500 USD machine ...
  6. M

What are the benefits of a NEC V20 over an Intel 8088? And what should I put it in?

I'm not asking you not to answer questions about V series chips. I'm asking you not to bother replying to posts if you seem bothered by them. This is your first sentence in your reply: "Hasn't this been beaten to death over the years? Okay, one more time:" I think you can do better ...
  7. M

What are the benefits of a NEC V20 over an Intel 8088? And what should I put it in?

May I suggest that if a post bothers you that you simply ignore it instead of feeling compelled to respond? There are others here that are qualified to reply too without seeming annoyed by it.
  8. M

Living Computers in Seattle is closing, for now?

That man has no pull from the grave. Paul Allen died years ago.
  9. M

VM Workstation Pro 17.5.2 / i7-13700H / Windows 11

You might try installing a power manager inside of DOS. DOS without a power manager will keep polling the keyboard for events through the BIOS. This requires the VM to run continuously, which then can trip the power throttling. By running a power manager inside of DOS you basically let DOS...
  10. M

Why buying any modern Apple Product is just a terrible idea.

Summing up this thread: Angry user yells at manufacturer for not continuing to invest resources to support something that is hopelessly out of date ... Seriously, I really wonder how many people do the math to determine how expensive it is to provide software and hardware support? I'm going to...
  11. M

I have become obsessed with vintage printers.

That came out great! I've gone ahead and updated the web page .. a proper ZIP file with the source code, Windows 10 & 11, and Linux 86 versions are posted. If you feel the urge to compile again it will compile cleanly with no changes; I confirmed that you just needed the go.mod and go.sum...
  12. M

Other US Areas Great deal on a spinner

Holden: Your in your home checking your email when all of a sudden you look down- Leon: What one? Holden: What? Leon: What email? Holden: It doesn't make any difference what email, it's completely hypothetical. Leon: But how come I'd be reading email? Holden: Maybe you're fed up, maybe you want...
  13. M

I'm on go 1.21.6, which is fairly recent. The latest is 1.22.4. For me it was as simple as "go build." The code dates back to 2021 and back then I was on go 1.16. I think where I failed is that I didn't provide a go.mod or go.sum file. With those you get a clean build right away, and they...
  14. M

My apologies for not getting back to you sooner .. I'll at least get the download link fixed. (And possibly add the Linux binary.) While I monitor this forum, my email address is more direct and is on that web page.
  15. M

Any resources for writing a custom CD-ROM device driver for DOS?

Thank you. And again, my apologies for the name collision. What's the connection on the Pocket386? Ethernet? SLIP?
  16. M

Any resources for writing a custom CD-ROM device driver for DOS?

6kb + the packet driver requirements.
  17. M

How long is too long to disable interrupts? (x86-16)

Oh, I see what you are doing ... Nevermind, you have to disable interrupts if you are just going to use them as general purpose registers. You might be able to use BP safely, but you can't safely use SS or SP like that. (You know this but for anybody else reading, the first thing an x86 in 16...
  18. M

How long is too long to disable interrupts? (x86-16)

I don't see why you need to disable interrupts to preserve BP and SP. Any interrupt handler that changes them is required to restore them before returning. (And that's true of any registers that get touched under an interrupt handler, not just BP and SP.)
  19. M

Exploring the NEC V20

I'm a little late in posting this, but I thoroughly enjoyed your write-up of the V20 and I learned a few things. It had the right about of detail in it. Thanks!
Back