• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. VERAULT

E-Waste/Dumpster Find/Trash Picked Rescue Thread

You dont want these shops.. They charge outrageous prices for the same things you can find at the goodwill. They arent the nice junk shops of yesteryear.. they are a scam.
  2. VERAULT

I see estate sales still on craigslist and sometimes i see vintage computers or game systems in the listings. Estate sales seem to be a good place for vintage tech still. Yeah the "Antique" charade I think is coming to a head. Its all just crap. Its the same things Junk Stores used to have they...
  3. VERAULT

MS-DOS Floppy drive head exerciser programs

Thanks Larry I will take a look.
  4. VERAULT

Breathing new life into 1981 IBM 5150

Basically I am wondering if this trick can be used on a 5160 or 5155. I am guessing no as it doesnt have the granularity in the switches like a 5150 motherboard has.
  5. VERAULT

I do and a kryoflux. These are all double density 5.25" drives.
  6. VERAULT

Ill be honest I have never ever seen a vintage computer at goodwill in the past 8 years. Pretty sure they realize they can sell things like that online or someone working my local stores gets them before they go out. I used to check frequently but I honestly dont bother anymore because nothing...
  7. VERAULT

Does anyone know a DOS utility for floppy drives that would exercise the heads back and forth (over and over automatically) preferably verifying the sectors or randomly reading. I am trying to break in some long dormant drives and something like this would be a big help. Dave Dunfields' Image...
  8. VERAULT

Atari 1050 drive "Boot Error"

Nice work on getting to the root of the problem!
  9. VERAULT

Breathing new life into 1981 IBM 5150

Will this trick work on a 5160 board as well?
  10. VERAULT

Only if you wanna come across as a creepy weirdo.
  11. VERAULT

Because forums are discussions. And discussions much like books can take you anywhere!!! Would it make you feel better if I contributed something to the original thread.. Ok sure. I picked up a Commodore 64 for only $5.00. It was missing the screws to close it up and it was in two...
  12. VERAULT

I have my thoughts on some organizations like this. I am sure the ASPCA is doing a fine job. But some places like the human society used to take a small fee years ago to cover the animals vaccines when you commit to get one. Which was completely reasonable. But now those fees can be several...
  13. VERAULT

Rescues? Dogs are not rescues.. you buy them. Computers are not rescues either. You find them for free or you pay for them. A rescue is a valiant effort to save a life... we destroy words meanings when we casually use them like this. I never rescued a computer in my life. Because its a device...
  14. VERAULT

IBM 5155 repair

So the other qumetrak 142 I ordered off of ebay came in last night. It was sold as-is so it was a gamble: https://www.ebay.com/itm/375519039121 It didnt work off the bat. Cleaning the rails, lubricating and working the spindle and the stepper motor back and forth... for a while. The drive...
  15. VERAULT

Trying to build an original IBM 16K PC - How difficult it is to get parts?

That would be interesting... For a short time at least.
  16. VERAULT

IBM 5155 repair

The original deskpro? I didnt know that.
  17. VERAULT

IBM 5155 repair

What systems use the 8086? Somw of the Tandy systems? Tandy 2000?
  18. VERAULT

IBM 5155 repair

.....Wait a minute. My brain just exploded. Im seeing this photo in front of me and it says 8086........ What?! This board had the wrong cpu? So my memory of it working cant be trusted....... Im at a loss. Do you think this 8086 cpu is still good or was it fried in the 8088 socket? This is crazy.
Back