• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. W

Coherent Use

Yea, X Windows being RAM hungry doesn't surprise me at all. NeXTStep ran in 8MB (with a Display PostScript based window server O.O), but it wouldn't do much. I still marvel that when the Rasperry Pi came out with, what, 256MB? It was tight on memory.
  2. W

Coherent Use

I honestly don't know why 4MB wouldn't work for these older systems. With 1MB of memory, thats up to 16 64k processes (minus the kernel of course). For the time, I mean, that's a lot! Obviously more if the processes don't use a full 64k. I mean, honestly, you have the core kernel (virtual...
  3. W

Coherent Use

Well, to be fair, they asked about running Coherent on a vintage machine. I didn't even know that Coherent had a 386 version, I was only familiar with the 286. "Unix on 286 for $99" was the elevator pitch for Coherent back in the day. Maybe Coherent for 386 can run comfortably in 4MB. I know...
  4. W

Coherent Use

Indeed. If you can run Coherent 4.x, for the 386, may as well move up to a BSD or early Linux. But there are few multi-user OSes for the 286 that I know about. I don't know how Coherent 3.x compared to Xenix.
  5. W

Living Computers in Seattle is closing, for now?

He chose to do this. This is what he wanted. He was a person of means, he could have kept it in perpetuity, and chose not to. Felt he had better things to do with his money.
  6. W

Why buying any modern Apple Product is just a terrible idea.

I have a nit that Sirius XM no longer streams over the web, and you have to use an app for it now.
  7. W

Coherent Use

It matters if you're trying to inject executable code into your process.
  8. W

Coherent Use

Yea, I wasn't sure. The small model is more complicated. That is, if I get a pointer to a function and dereference it, do I get data from the code segment, or indeterminate data from the data segment that just so happens to be at the same offset. Hardly a show stopper, having all 64K for data...
  9. W

Coherent Use

Kind of being neck deep in the world of multi user business computing, I honestly didn't encounter actual TCP/IP networking until the mid- to late 90s. All of our clients used terminal concentrators to host serial terminals and printers running business software. Our real first forays into...
  10. W

Coherent Use

Yea I'm pretty sure Coherent processes are the "tiny" memory model, meaning combined 64K code/data per process. That's not horrible, particularly for the time but it's not "real" virtual memory. I think it can swap processes, but that's about as far as it can go. Swap processes, not pages...
  11. W

New TV channel now interfering with other ones.

All TV is digital now, yes? So I assume the new station is just corrupting both channels? I assume its not like the old days where they can sorta stomp on each other and you get some of each, right? That's not how compressed digital video works, right?
  12. W

Yea mine is similar. I upgraded the video card as well. The case, however, is a masterpiece.
  13. W

For the price people pay for a chunk of iron, I should certainly hope so. Even Apple doesn't charge 3+X as much. We're quite content with our enameled Loge dutch oven.
  14. W

Oh, apparently it is! I honestly didn't really consider that. Indeed, it's a ticking bomb, but time will tell. I have 4000+ photos on my phone, "cuz I can", essentially. At some point, it will run out, but I can put that decision off for the time being. Indeed. I get good value from Apple...
  15. W

Coherent Use

A vintage FreeBSD (2.x series) or NetBSD (1.5 series) should work. It would be much better as well, being designed for the 386 vs the 286 that Coherent is designed for. Coherent is closer to Xenix. 4MB might be a bit tight tho.
  16. W

Our current iPad is from 2016, it surfs the web and plays my wife's games. We just swapped out her MacBook Air from 2012 for a new MacBook Air M3. The 256G drive was full and she didn't want to archive any photos or use an external for them, so we got something with 512G and 16G of RAM. We...
  17. W

Getting too much guff from your retro hobby?

It's always interesting to go to some niche hobby event where you just get to marvel at what the folks are doing, their level of interest, and such. The barf bags would fall into the Paper category. No different than matchbooks, or coasters, etc. If you want to see this in all its depth, go...
  18. W

Offline editing / deletion of NeXTStep config / user data?

I would just go through /etc/passwd to look for accounts (I think the default account was 'me'), then purge their home directories (probabl /usr/me, but I don't know, passwd will point to it), and then see if there's a passwd shadow file with the actual passwords and delete the entries out of...
  19. W

Best option for hosting vintage computing files

Damn skippy! I have an automatic transmission for a reason! I can choose to pay someone for the privilege having to not just configure, care, and feed, but also BE RESPONSIBLE for a server and website. All for just a few dollars a month! Or, I can use another service, for free, that handles...
  20. W

Best option for hosting vintage computing files

I'm not picking on you, honest, but this is exactly what I'm talking about. "Just" "Just" indeed.
Back