• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. M

I-R-O-N-Y

As was pointed out, I said graphs "in the sheet." Most spreadsheet programs had a separate graphing utility; you just didn't have a graph embedded in the data like what we expect today. Skipping past the lovely large pictures of boxed software, the point remains the same - it is vastly more...
  2. M

I-R-O-N-Y

Your old 386 or 486 may have felt fast. It also had these other charming attributes: It didn't handle character sets that the rest of the world needs very easily. Unicode has basically fixed that. It crashed all of the time because programmers back then were just as bad, but they were using...
  3. M

I-R-O-N-Y

Do you write code for hobby purposes or for a living? Seriously - software developers are not in a gilded castle somewhere deciding where to train their "next laser beam of resource consumption" while they drink champagne and make fun of the masses. It's economics. If the standard cell phone...
  4. M

I-R-O-N-Y

Hey, I've invented a few of my own wheels. It's fun. But not commercially viable ...
  5. M

I-R-O-N-Y

People complain about code bloat all of the time, and it's the same answer every time .. it's about economics. When computers filled a room and were super expensive, everything was oriented toward making the maximum use of the most expensive resource - the computer. Which is why people sat...
  6. M

Please tell me how to tell which Vista ISO's are genuine Microsoft?

This kind of smells strongly like you are asking for help with copyright infringement. Please, don't do that here.
  7. M

Network over RS-232

People are doing this, and I've tested it with mTCP. At 9600 it is a little on the slow side, but for machines that can support 115200 bps it is usable.
  8. M

Network over RS-232

RS232 is point to point, so it's hard to get a network out of that. However, if you had a group of machines that each had two RS232 ports then you would be able to construct a sophisticated, but slow network. If a machine receives a message that is not for it, then it passes the message down...
  9. M

IBM 5181001 Connector Question

I can't remember if it was DAK or one of the other liquidators, but yes, when IBM couldn't sell them others tried. I think the C64 was a common target. They would be rebadged as "Big Blue" and given an adapter box or had the connector converted. I don't think they changed the character set...
  10. M

BTW, these are great little printers. The are primitive, slow, crude, and not quite fully Epson ESC/P2 compatible. But I've had a lot of fun getting them to print JPGs, and the simple/crude construction means that they have been pretty good at surviving nearly 40 years. The thermal printer...
  11. M

The printer is supposed to have a PCjr specific printer. That one has been modified. The printer only needs three wires in the cable and two extra connections in the connector. Receive Data, Clear To Send, and two Grounds all go through the cable. Within the connector DTR is connected to DSR...
  12. M

California Need recovery attempt on SCSI-II 1GB drive that was used on a Windows 3.1 system over 20 years ago

Agreed. This is not complicated. Do a DD first to image the drive. Then use Linux to look at the partition table and try mounting the partitions from within the image using the RO (read-only) and loopback options of mount. That gets you everything, including hidden files, deleted files, data...
  13. M

Guy claims Win10 can't be erased from hard drive, please mythbust

I'm sure Linux will happily install over it, and it would make a fun response. ;-0
  14. M

IBM p70 questions....

Do INTERSVR and INTERLNK do file level backups or sector level backups? I suggested using custom code with a network adapter that does sector level backups, so that no hidden files are missed. You can also do forensic examination on the resulting image, including looking in the unallocated...
  15. M

IBM p70 questions....

Which is why I asked to see the connector .. that answers a lot of questions. I have an ESDI controller and drive here somewhere. That card edge connector just reaffirms my assertion that the data recovery should be done in the original machine. Gotta love the IBM PS/2 product planners...
  16. M

IBM p70 questions....

I'll make amends for suggesting that it might be an ESDI drive. My secret stash of IBM documentation calls the interface "Direct Bus Attach", so it is neither ESDI, SCSI or IDE. It directly attaches tot he system on the MCA bus, but presents itself as an ESDI drive logically. They were used...
  17. M

IBM p70 questions....

If it is a SCSI drive then you have a lot of options, including ones for replacing it. That's really supposed to be an ESDI drive. The model number doesn't generate a lot of hits on Google, so the specs won't be found by casual online searching. Can you remove it temporarily and show us the...
  18. M

IBM p70 questions....

I looked at the technical reference and the hard drive looks to have a non-standard connector interface. If the machine were in my possession I would attach a Xircom parallel-port to Ethernet adapter to it and use some code to copy the drive block-by-block to another machine, creating an image...
  19. M

PCJr Infrared keyboard and modern systems - adapter?

Some simple web searches can turn up a lot of information ... See https://www.brutman.com/PCjr/pcjr_keyboard_handling.html for starters.
  20. M

What's wrong with my C# implementation of XMODEM?

Well, that's kind of what I meant ... don't use Ymodem G unless you know your connection supports error detection by itself, as Ymodem G doesn't attempt it. Or if you don't love your data, do whatever ... Personally I wouldn't mess with it either. The 1K packets amortize out the time spent...