• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. ibmapc

IBM 5150 with XT IDE Help

You should be able to get power for the DOM from pin 20 on the IDE Header on the XT-IDE. In that case, you dont need a power cable. However, some remove pin 20 from the header and would need to be added. There is a jumper on some of the XT IDE builds to supply power on pin 20.
  2. ibmapc

Need help with a finicky Qumetrak 142 floppy drive (PCjr)

I would not worry to much about the lube you now have on the rails. Just check it once in a while to see if the carriage is moving freely by hand. If it gets sticky, use some Isopropyl Alcohol to clean them. I don't remember how or even if I succesfully lubed the spindle on mine. It could be...
  3. ibmapc

Do check the RPM as mentioned previously. I recall the drive that I worked on that was all gummed up had trouble maintainig the correct RPM. I tried to adjust with the POT on the pcb but it would not spin at a consitant speed until I managed to lube the spindle motor and spindle bearing. I...
  4. ibmapc

IBM 5155 MFM Hard Disk dimensions

The 5155 was not intended to have a hard disk installed internally. IBM provided the 5161 expansion unit to provide an external 10 MB hard disk. Kinda takes the "portability" out of the "Portable" 5155 though.
  5. ibmapc

Of coarse I can't be sure, because I wasn't there when the drive was lubed, but it sounds like you might need to be a little more thorough with the cleaning and lubing of the carriage rails. I once pulled a drive from a PCjr that must have been in a smokers house. The rails were very sticky...
  6. ibmapc

Does anyone else find this disturbing?

Yup. I find it very disturbing. But not as disturbing as my 18 year old daughter thinking she's an "ADULT". Therefore, she knows EVERYTHING!! She thinks she can party every single day and still succeed at University. Can you say EPIC FAIL?! First semester, all Fs. What a waste!! I'm told...
  7. ibmapc

Is this a good deal?

Wow! 14000 discount!! And shipping aint bad. You should JUMP on it!! ;)
  8. ibmapc

Help Finding Typing Program from early 80s

I don't remember if the fingers show up in all the modes. I think they are only displayed during the "training ground". I found it very helpful to see where my hands "should" be.
  9. ibmapc

What is 'proper' restoration

Sometimes " Restoring" is the wrong approach. I believe in preservation. Keep it from deteriorating, and hopefully, keep it working. I think you're doing great! Some people will go to far and ruin the value of a classic.
  10. ibmapc

Help Finding Typing Program from early 80s

I remember a program called Mastertype
  11. ibmapc

Please fix the PM system

I posted a message on Vbulletin's forum and got a very quick and terse response. See image below. I find it hard to believe nobody has contacted vbulletin about our issues, but that's what the reply seems to suggest.
  12. ibmapc

Living Computer Museum, Seatle

Does anyone have any info about the possibility of Living Computer Museum reopening? I see the web site message about their "temporary" closure has not been updated since they first closed.. I think many of us have not been very optimistic about their future. I continue to think of them with...
  13. ibmapc

IBM 5155 with monitor (commmodore) 184S or Philips CM883

You mean THIS ONE? Looks like it's in stock. I HIGHLY recommend that. I've built and sold many of those from kits and have not received a single complaint. They work very well indeed. I've also dealt with Serdashop and have not had reason to complain. He seems like a straight shooter. Greg
  14. ibmapc

Decided to start learnig C

I've played around with BASIC since about 1979 but never really got super deep into it. A few years ago, I bought a book about assembly, but couldn't stay awake reading it. So, late in September, I started looking for Online Courses for programming. I stumbled accross "C Programming with...
  15. ibmapc

Nice 5155

yup. If it's not original, it's not "complete". I also don't like seeing them with the floppy drives switched out(Not the case here. Just sayin'). Looks like they made a storage compartment.
  16. ibmapc

Wanted: EGA card with internal monitor connector

Actually, the ATI EGA Wonder, looks great on the 5155 amber monitor as long as you don't go above 640 x 200. What I believe is "Low Resolution EGA", 640x200x16 colors, looks fantastic on the 5155 amber monitors in different shades of amber. In fact, it looks much nicer than the CGA out put...
  17. ibmapc

External Dial-up Modem with Good Speaker

THIS is my favorite. If you can get your hands on one, the US Robotics Courier is TOP NOTCH! It has a "Slider volume control on the right under side.
  18. ibmapc

WTB, WTT: FIC VA503+ Motherboard.

Processor and memory not required but will consider if deal is right. I have lots of old parts for old machines. If you want to sell or trade or trade plus money. If you have this motherboard (FIC VA503+), PM me and lets see if we can make a deal. Greg
  19. ibmapc

Living Computers in Seattle is closing, for now?

Just got an email from Living Computers in Seattle, WA. They are closing down operations for now. I sure hope the find a way to re-open in the future! They were a great host for the VCFPNW for two years until the Covid shut things down. https://www.livingcomputers.org/
  20. ibmapc

Now that's a clever trick!

Look at that 5153 monitor! That picture is FABULOUS! Oh, wait, That's just a reflection!! He say's it works, but I wouldn't want to buy it to use as a mirror. You only get a nice image in bright sunlight at just the right angle.