• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. Anonymous Coward

Ramquest 8/16 SIMM compatibility

It's been a really long time since I tested mine, but I am somewhat confident that the 3-chip 30-pin SIMMs I tried on mine were not detected. Go for 9 chip to be safe. You got a hell of a lot of nice stuff in that system. Do you think it was configured that way by the original owner, or had...
  2. Anonymous Coward

Info on Laser 286/2 system

The battery (already removed) pissed all over and has probably damaged the board beyond repair.
  3. Anonymous Coward

Question on 386DX

If all things were equal, then the DX would beat the SX (by around 35%)? But, in real life things would not be equal as the design of the SX motherboard would certainly be much newer with tighter memory timings. I would guess it's possible for a mature SX to be an old DX. It would definitely be...
  4. Anonymous Coward

80286/386SX PLCC Socket Installation

I have thought about installing a socket on a 386SX system. The 387SX uses a PLCC socket, but the CPU itself is surface mount, and requires a special test socket for QFP100 chips It's not that straight forward, because it seems there wasn't a standard test sockets Many of the 386SX boards I've...
  5. Anonymous Coward

XT "Accelerator" Boards

I know the thread is 14 years old...but, an AST FlashPak has been found: https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=88105 The documentation is MIA. Did that article from PC Tech Journal say anything interesting about it? It seems somewhat unique in that it can accept two 8087s...your...
  6. Anonymous Coward

Identify 386SX Motherboard

The PLCC socket for the FPU on this board looks really interesting. I haven't seen one like that before. The SIMM sockets are also unusual. I HAVE seen those before, and they were kind of a pain in the arse.
  7. Anonymous Coward

Win 95 era BIOS boot error

RTCs were definitely a thing on socket 5 and early socket 7 boards.
  8. Anonymous Coward

Can you use an 80287 in place of an 8087-1?

The 287turbo(plus) was an upgrade for 286 systems was it not? I thought these were just dinguses with separate clock crystals to run the 287 in async mode. Still, the option for a 287 on an 808x would be very nice. There are 808x faster than 10MHz, but no matching FPU. Would also be nice to get...
  9. Anonymous Coward

Zenith ZDS - 320S: Information Needed!

Even with the part number, you're probably going to have a hell of a time finding the original motherboard for this thing. So am I correct to assume this computer takes standard AT motherboards with a riser card for the ISA slots? According to the model name, the system likely had a 386SX-20 CPU...
  10. Anonymous Coward

Sperry PC/IT 286

It could be my imagination, but that thing looks even larger than a 5170.
  11. Anonymous Coward

Recommendations on ISA SVGA card?

Got it. You don't like VOGONS. Then post the relevant link to the vcfed thread (if you can find it). The reason I mentioned VOGONS is because the topic comes up frequently, and is easy to find with a search engine.
  12. Anonymous Coward

My Gateway 2000 P5-120 is stuck at 90MHz. What setting fixes it?

The chipset on your board can definitely do 66MHz. It says so right on the chip. I don't believe that Gateway 2000 sold a computer in 1996 that could only run the P100 at 2x50, and didn't support the P120. Either the switches are set incorrectly or something is broken. It seems switch 6 controls...
  13. Anonymous Coward

Recommendations on ISA SVGA card?

This topic has been beaten to death on VOGONS already. Lots of cards can meet your needs depending on what you want to do with it. The more advanced cards are really only useful if you need windows drivers capable of delivering something better than 640x480 or 800x600 in 256 colours with...
  14. Anonymous Coward

5162 XT/286 SIMMs

I seem to recall somebody had figured out a way to modify standard 256kb SIMMs to work in the 5162. Does anyone remember the link to the post that describes how to do it?
  15. Anonymous Coward

5170 "Skyrocket" Prototype

I recently read through this thread on: comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware Skyrocket was the code name for an AT prototype that had 640kb on the motherboard. Does anyone know if photos of this system exist?
  16. Anonymous Coward

Chips & Technologies "CHiPs" CS82310 "PEAK/DM" 386 chipset

I have a Silicon Star FU340 386 motherboard based on the PEAK/DM chipset. Existing documentation claims it supports 32MB and 256kb cache memory, however neither 32MB nor 256kb configurations work properly. I know my board is not damaged, because there are one or two others with the same board...
  17. Anonymous Coward

ATi Mach32 for proprietary local bus video slot (ebay)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ati-Mach-32-GQ8LA800-i-VIDEO-TLC34075-110FN-92320-48-49204-001-LOCAL-VGA-/181607448890?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item2a48a5c13a This has to be pretty rare. Not exactly cheap, but very interesting.
  18. Anonymous Coward

WTB: Evergreen Rev to 486 (model 386DX2+)

Looking for the upgrade that uses a surface mount TI486SXL2 chip.
  19. Anonymous Coward

CompuAdd 320/325 SIMM board

This is not my auction, but as these proprietary RAM cards are very hard to find I figured I'd post the link here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-4-CIRCUIT-MEMORY-BOARD-ISA-ADD-ON-CARD-FAN-CARD-VINTAGE-/251604008129?pt=US_Vintage_Computing_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a94c47cc1 It appears to be...