• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. M

Need help with IBM 5150 5.25 drive having trouble writing

Thanks but I don’t think that can even happen accidentally here. I can only format disks on the 360k drive that’s in the 5150. My USB drive is a 3.5 and I even format those disks in the 5150 as well. The new drive seems to be working good. I’m looking into some possibilities why my original...
  2. M

Thanks Modem for that info. I’ll check to see if I have 150ohms between the pins like the link says. The markings on the face say 16-1-151. On the link the Bourns one is 4116R-1-151.
  3. M

Thanks Dave, Could you possibly direct me to one with a link? Here’s a pic of it
  4. M

Heads and rails have been cleaned twice. Im looking into the possibility of the terminating resistor pack on the PCB causing an issue. A SAMs manual mentioned formatting a disk and if it has trouble formatting, the resistor pack at 2F is a possibility. I saw once someone on the forum was having...
  5. M

Id like to thank everyone for their inputs on this matter. I was able to get a known working drive and swap mine out and all disks seem to format properly now with the new drive. And I am able to write to the disks and the files appear in the directory. The issue might be in the PCB on the...
  6. M

I don’t have any means of checking these disks in a windows based system. I am in the process of acquiring another drive to test. I’m kind of leaning toward this being a drive issue. I’ll update with my results. Thanks
  7. M

You are correct. I formatted that one disk in the Apple and now it won’t reformat in the IBM.
  8. M

Using the last line of syntax I got a “parameters not compatible” error
  9. M

The media I’m using is mixed. Mostly verbatim but some are a no name brand. Formatted over 30 of these on an Apple never one bad. And my TRS80 likes them also. I’m going to be using this drive to write TRS80 disks so keeping the tracks in the two drives the same would be important. I’ll try the...
  10. M

Dave I just saw you said DS/DD, these are Single sided.
  11. M

Thanks for joining in Dave, yes the disks are SS/DD
  12. M

Thanks for the replies. I made sure I could hear the write protect tank drop down telling it the disk isn’t write protected. And yes I am using dos 5. I’ll try the format string with the u. I’ve posted 2 pics. One of the error I’m getting when I try to format the unformatted disks (pretty much...
  13. M

Hello group, I need help with my 5.25” floppy drive in my 5150. The drive seems to only like formatting one disk I have. Trying to format over 15 disks from a box that all format fine on an Apple drive, the IBM only is able to format one. And it will format that one disk every time. AND transfer...
  14. M

ATD Model 116 memory card

Hello group, I have an ATD model 116 memory board in my 5150 that I’m having trouble finding any sort of documentation for. Preferably. Owners/users manual As always, any input is appreciated Thanks
  15. M

IBM Model F Keyboard

Thank you all for your responses. I watched the attached video and that was a big help. I removed the keycaps from the keys in question and re installed them paying close attention to how the spring seats. The keys now “click” or rather buckle. Instead of going further I reassembled the case and...
  16. M

IBM Model F Keyboard

Hello all, I have a model "F" IBM keyboard that has 2 keys not clicking or responding. I was told this keyboard doesn't have switches as do keyboards I'm used to dealing with. Could someone direct me on how I should start correcting this? Thanks group.
  17. M

Formatting HD disks to 720k

Thanks everyone for all your responses. All valuable information.
  18. M

Formatting HD disks to 720k

Greetings fellow enthusiasts, Can someone explain to me the purpose of putting tape over the second hole on HD 3.5 floppies? I ask because when I format a 1.44 HD disk on one of my Apple ii drives (they are 800k drives) ive never used tape and never had a problem formatting or writing to these...
  19. M

IBM 5150 3.5” formatting at 360K

Thank you all for your help.....and your patience. I was able to enter the line from minuszeros website into the config.sys and on reboot it all appears to be working properly. Thanks again group
  20. M

IBM 5150 3.5” formatting at 360K

Thanks everyone. I looked at minuszeros website and offers options. I did locate the DRIVER.SYS file in DOS. I'm not looking to use 1.44 disks, just 720K. Looks like I need to add a line to the config.sys file. I'm having trouble doing that. (I mentioned I'm new to IBMs). I open the config.sys...