• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. falter

Tandy 2500xl that just keeps getting worse

Stupid question.. is there anything other than a fault in the switch that tells the floppy drive that a disk is inserted that would cause a 'Drive Not Ready Error'? Also, can I use a drive from another model of Tandy to test? Ie say a 720k from a TL (this, like the 1.4 mb in the SX, has the...
  2. falter

Lightbulb based scoreboards?

Going to sound like a strange question maybe. When I was younger and I'd go to a ballgame at Exhibition Stadium in Toronto, at the far end of the field they had this screen - I'm pretty sure it was composed entirely of light bulbs, I think, and basically it could do full on video, pictures...
  3. falter

Homebrew Z80 No. 3

This is my 3rd Z80 homebrew and kind of unusual at that. It has a numeric keypad and I think they built the power supply into the case for it. And then they have an old school 4 conductor telephone plug, which adapts into a modern telephone plug, and I'm not sure but I'm guessing the power...
  4. falter

Computerland BC286 Hard Drive issues

Decided to mess around with this BC286 I got a while back. I *think* this is technically an XT class computer running a 286 somehow, sort of like the Tandy 1000TL. It has both an IDE/floppy controller, and an Adaptec ACB-2002 MFM hard drive controller. As it came to me, it had a (ugh)...
  5. falter

Visual Commuter dead LCD lines - repairable?

I got this very dirty Visual Commuter machine for cheap - functionally it works amazingly well. However, the LCD has three or four horizontal lines out. It's not damaged as far as I can tell, physically. Is this something that is potentially repairable (like caps, etc), or is it toast? I...
  6. falter

First character generator chip

I've been collecting character generators for a while now.. I'm just fascinated with them and all the different character patterns they produce. I scored this 2526 for 1 cent. I may use some in projects, or otherwise just display. But I'm curious.. ive been trying to figure out, if it's...
  7. falter

What's this ebay seller's angle..

Found this in the vintage computer section. Clearly they must have some kind of an angle or this is a novelty auction? A single sheet of copy paper...
  8. falter

Tracing a Sphere CPU board using Hugo's methods (sort of)

I couldn't help it - I got so into reading about how Hugo traced out the patterns for the Dazzler that I had to try it. I couldn't quite figure out Picture IT, but I did try it with Photoshop. What I did was take the bottom of a Sphere CPU/2 board, and then started tracing it using Photoshop's...
  9. falter

"The Apple II was the first time arcade games were in color" - Woz

In this clip on Facebook Woz says "the Apple II was the first time ever that arcade games were color". 100% sure that's not true.. trying to figure out what he means or if he is being literal there.
  10. falter

The Computation Company

Anyone ever heard of these guys? Best I could find was they tended toward military stuff. I thought about buying this but I didn't see an actual computer board in it and it's way too big. FedEx would have absolutely gone to town on it...
  11. falter

Confused about 2101 RAM

I'm just trying to get a fix on how much RAM the original Sol prototype had. It physically had 4 2101 256x4 bit chips. I always get confused about how to read that, but I thought 256x4 meant nibbles, and if you had two of them you had 256 bytes. I'm sure I'm getting that wrong. The article...
  12. falter

Toshiba T5100 with corrupted text

My T5100 has been threatening this on and off.. it'll power up fine but then the text sometimes would turn to gibberish. Today it went full gibberish and is not coming back. The machine seems to be functional and you can tell underneath the garbage the the machine is working. I found a...
  13. falter

Quest Electronics' demise

I am researching Quest Electronics as I was trying to find out what it's timeline and fate were. I know founder Roger Pitkin got pinched by the FBI for hawking stolen 2732s or such to a buyer in Europe who was known to be smuggling tech to the Soviets. And that the FBI plan to use Pitkin as an...
  14. falter

A ROM Mystery

When I was working on my Mindsets, I zeroed in on bad ROMs as a possible suspect for why my Video Production System and Professional Video Graphics System wouldn't post properly. In dumping the ROMs of all three of my machines, including the working one, I determined that the contents of the LO...
  15. falter

Color on composite doesnt work unless long cable used

Weird one.. my Mindset VPS - I can't remember for sure but I'm pretty sure the composite put out color before on a short high quality RCA cable I had. After using it for video titling, it now only shows mono. However, when I was troubleshooting I grabbed a different, much longer (like 15 feet)...
  16. falter

Mindset 16 color mode, via composite, vs CGA composite

I've posted a few pics around of Mindset sample artwork, which I find really impressive. Others seem to as well. However every now and again I get a comment back: "bah, CGA composite could do that". But I don't think it really could, could it? I mean yes, you could get 16 colors, but it was...
  17. falter

Why some games don't work on Mindset

This is purely for my own curiosity and understanding. I decided to try testing the limits of my Mindset to see just how compatible or not it was. When 8 Bit Guy reviewed it he suggested pretty much all graphical games would not work. He only tested his own though. I've now tried about 15...
  18. falter

Killing CRT/Transformer whine in Premiere

In addition to learning how to deal with moire, I've been trying to figure out how to kill CRT or transformer whine. My mid 40s ears can't hear it anymore, but it does annoy younger people who see my videos. At the advice of Trixster (thank you!) I got my hands on Spectroid for Android. I set...
  19. falter

Avoiding moire while filming a CRT

I'm trying to do some video of various machines in action and with my Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra I've been able to eliminate the wave or band effect by setting the frames per second to 1/30 or 1/60. But no matter what I try, I cannot get rid of moire. I'm filming a composite monitor (Apple...
  20. falter

GWBasic typing more than will hold on one line

I am trying to manually type in the code for jsbach.bas, which was a demo program included on some versions of the Mindset GWBASIC disk. It wasn't included on the one that bitsavers has, but since 8bitguy listed it on his video about the Mindset, I thought I'd screencap and manually reenter...