• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. H

PET - COPY syntax to copy files from one drive to another

AFAIK, it's never been possible without the use of a program to transfer the data via the computer. Hence the existence of such programs. Not surprising that those programs don't work with the PETDisk Max, since that device only supports a small subset of Commodore DOS commands.
  2. H

C2N Datasette - Bias oscillator?

An AC erase would produce alternating N-S-N-S fields. I believe they are all DC but it works because the tape is moving. FWIW, I know back in the day you could duplicate a tape by dubbing with a dual cassette deck and it is possible, though not simple to produce a usable data tape from a WAV...
  3. H

Probably using the standard Commodore disk drive commands to create files and transfer data, but the PetDisk doesn't support most of the Commodore disk command set. Load and Save may be your only option.
  4. H

Unfortunately, Commodore disk drives have no way to copy from one device to another device. Dual drives like the 4040 can copy from drive 0 to drive 1, but that happens entirely inside the drive. The drives have no way to copy directly from device 8 to device 9 for example. To do that, the PET...
  5. H

C2N Datasette - Bias oscillator?

It's an all digital signal, so no bias needed. It's only looking at pulse widths. Unlike other tape systems back in the day that used FSK, Commodore just wrote to tape the same way a floppy disk does.
  6. H

Commodore 4040 disk drive - change device number

Normally with two drives, you would need to leave one drive powered off, until you change the device number on the first drive. With the PETDisk you can't leave it off while you change the device number on the 4040, so you'll probably need to change the PETDisk first. If the PETDisk needs to be...
  7. H

You just specify the drive in the command. For basic 4.0 to get a directory you type directory or the abbreviated command diR To get a directory of disk 1 on device 8 it's diR d1 or for device 9 it's directory d0 on u9 (disk 0 on unit 9) For basic 2.0 you just load from drive 9, load"$",9 or...
  8. H

Via hardware or temporary software change? Referring to http://www.primrosebank.net/computers/pet/documents/Disk_Reference_Manual_D9090_D9060_8250_8050_4040_2031_text.pdf Pahe 33 To change the device number temporarily until a power cycle or reset, OPEN15,8,15,"M-W"CHR$ (12) CHR$ (0) CHR$ (2)...
  9. H

PET 4016 Upgrade options?

Mike is scheduled to be at VCF-West this year with his Romulator and PetPix. I'll be there too with my PET collection. If you'll be in the silicon valley area Aug 6 & 7 stop by and say hi.
  10. H

4032 FAT-40 to 8032 Conversion Info

When the 4.0 ROM set was released in 1980, the The 2001-N machines with 9 inch screens and no CRTC chips started shipping with 4.0 and were re-badged as 4016/4032 So when the universal board started shipping with the low profile case and 12 inch screen, they were nicknamed "FAT" 40's because of...
  11. H

Commodore pet 4032 cassette port dead

That'll do it. No power to the motor.
  12. H

I've had some so badly oxidized that a pencil eraser wouldn't work and fine grain sandpaper was needed. The pads are not gold plated. I even had one that someone had coated in some kind of clear varnish, presumably to prevent someone from connecting a cassette drive. Maybe a school, to prevent...
  13. H

Commodore pet 4032 cassette port dead

Port #1 and #2 depend on the machine. One is internal and one in the rear next to the user port. Connecting a datasette should not cause any change. The cassette drive draws +5v from pin 2, on or off. The computer should not enable the motor voltage unless a key is pressed on the drive. If the...
  14. H

4032 FAT-40 to 8032 Conversion Info

IIRC, you'll also need to change the EDIT ROM to initialize the CRTC for 80 columns.
  15. H

There aren't any threaded inserts in there, just self tapping screws. The "plastic" is structural foam which is brittle so it will sound rough. On one PET I had to replace the keyboard screws with a slightly larger size since they were stripped out. I usually re-assemble WITHOUT the metal tray...
  16. H

No. Shift-Commodore doesn't work on the PET unfortunately.
  17. H

These are the expansion bus connectors. Ram expanders and other devices all connect here and the boards stack above the mainboard on standoffs. Example
  18. H

My bad. I thought it would auto detect. I know with 32K it tests ram at startup and if you have a bad bit in high memory it will report 16K, so what's the point of even having jumpers.
  19. H

No standard at all. I've never seen any two terminals from the 70's that had the same keyboard layout. DEC, Teletype, ADM, Televideo keyboards are all completely different. I don't think the marketing material meant to imply there was a standard, just that the keyboard wasn't a typewriter standard.