• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. A

IBM PS/1 model 2011 - trying to bring it back to life

I know. I've checked the two oscillators on board and they are both working so it isn't looking good.
  2. A

The CPU CLK pin has no signal. It looks like it is coming out of the 64F1330 IC to the right of it.
  3. A

I guess I can try to see what pins I can probe on the CPU, it looks like a QFP, maybe that will yield something.
  4. A

It isn't the stock IBM keyboard that came with it, but another IBM keyboard. The 3 LED's do come on and go off, but does that happen just because it has power and the internal microcontroller does it? Or something from the PC makes it happen? I don't know what to say about the Dallas module...
  5. A

Starting a new thread because the old one makes it sound like it is about the power board and probably many people aren't familiar with the power board. I think the power board is fine. Voltages are fine. Keyboard plugged into it blinks it lights at power on, so it is getting power. The...
  6. A

PS/1 repair question - power board

Anyone have any tips on what I can look at next?
  7. A

I put a logic analyzer on the parallel port, no activity. I then decided to look at the A0 signal on one of the ROMs - turn the system on and it just goes high and stays high, no activity. Any thoughts on what to look at next?
  8. A

I made up a test AVR project to try to test out the DS1287. I did already drill holes in it and break the internal lithium coin connection and connected a new cr2032 battery. I think though that something else is off or odd about the chip. I can read its 64 bytes and they make sense. I can...
  9. A

Toshiba Tecra 500 cdt battery replacement - Hard to find?

Sometimes those batteries stores like batteriesplus can build up battery packs for you; it might be worth checking.
  10. A

I saw a YT video last night where the guy had the same symptoms - no video and he was having issues with the Dallas RTC, so maybe I have the same issues. Maybe it doesn't initialize the video until it talks to the RTC. I'm going to cut away the side and install a new battery tonight and see if...
  11. A

Does anyone know how the reset functionality works on these? I looked at the reset* pin on the modem connector and it is low and stays low so I wonder if it is never coming out of reset.
  12. A

Toshiba T3200SX - peeling off the screen label

Swiss army knife small blade, get under it carefully.
  13. A

I've got a 80286 PS/1 that a friend gave me that is having some odd issues. First, the keyboard didn't work, but the computer did boot with a different ps/2 keyboard. But, then it locked up and when I powered it off/on, it never came back again. The monitor turns on, but the system won't post...
  14. A

20 MHz, 2 channel O-scope

Wow Hugo, that is quite a bit of knowledge there! I've seen a friend you has an old school analog detect quick pulses on it, but it sure didn't keep them there long enough to do much with them. My Compaq Portable has a really persistent phosphor that shows interesting artifacts when it...
  15. A

20 MHz, 2 channel O-scope

The bigger problem with an analog scope is that it isn't a storage scope. It is good at showing repeating pattern signals, but not so good at capturing one off events. That is where a DSO will be much handier. All that said, I've got an old BK 2120 on my bench because it is just plain fun to...
  16. A

Replacing a failing Fluke 77

Sometimes modem7 you can use an erase on the pcb contacts for the display, and maybe some deoxit too.
  17. A

Just out of curiosity, what happened to the 77? I bought a 29 back in 1993 and it still works! Malc has a good point about the warranty, you have to look at the cost delta and decide if it is a worthwhile risk.
  18. A

Isn't the 17B+ a Chinese market/version Fluke? I didn't think they were that much money. I will say that having been used to a Fluke for so long, you will probably want another! I do think the Chinese market ones are nice and there are a few different models and various price points.
  19. A

Borland C++ 4.0/4.5 - EXE size vs. exception handling/RTTI

>Okay great. So, how is this related to a library? The throw/try/catch is a fundamental part of the C++ language and not something you can just "turn off". The only option >is to just not use it but maybe the compiler will always add a specific footprint for this behaviour whether you use the...