• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. R

Volume Control

Very simple question that I simply haven't found a solution that satisfies me yet. I'd like to put a volume control knob on the outside of my Leading Edge Model D to control the loudness or mute the pc speaker. Just something small and simple to stick on the outside of the case. Any ideas out there?
  2. R

386 computer, XT-IDE BIOS, can't find IDE address?

Sorry for the trouble. I had tried several drives with none of them working, but it just so happened that all three did not want to work with the XUB. Finally found one that does. Sigh!
  3. R

No, right now I'm just trying to use a normal IDE hard drive on the onboard IDE. System BIOS does detect hard drives, but it is limited to 504mb (type 41). Auto-detect usually doesn't work for larger drives. All the drives I've tested do work in other machines. I tried plugging in a different...
  4. R

Overcoming 486 504mb limit - OnTrack vs XUB?

Or something else? For all the software I want to put on, I need something to get past the 504mb limit, if only to create more 500mb partitions on a 2.5GiB drive. I used to have ezdrive back in the actual day, but these days that would be very inconvenient because ezdrive is pretty much...
  5. R

This is the closest resemblance I can find to my motherboard, if that is of any help: https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/D/DELL-COMPUTER-CORPORATION-486-Precision-486SX-25-4.html
  6. R

What issues did you have using the system Bios? I just got a Dell 486sx computer and I'm having problems with data corruption swapping the hard drive between the 486 and a modern computer to copy files. So I'd like to try and use the XUB, however it does not see the drive at 1F0h. The HDD...
  7. R

Thank you for your thoughts. Makes sense. I will go with the 504MB and see how it goes!
  8. R

One last question... As my 386 BIOS is limited to a 500mb hard drive, would it be preferable to use OnTrack to see the whole (4.3GiB in this case) drive, or stick the XUB into the system somewhere? I'm leaning towards XUB still, maybe because that seems easier. Pros/Cons? Thanks!
  9. R

I will tinker with it more tomorrow and report back. Yes I think it's the same card. All the jumpers look to be at default settings. I know it works when used without the XUB, with system BIOS. Perhaps the XUB didn't like the SD card? I will try other drives tomorrow as well. I am considering...
  10. R

Hi all. I have a 386 that I'm trying to get up and running. XUB works in the original 8-bit card, but when I move the drive (in this case a IDE to SD card adapter) to the 16-bit card (SIIG si-1132), and reflash the Rom with the AT settings and typical IDE base addresses, I can't seem to get it...
  11. R

Desperate for Help Fixing a Leading Edge Model D

Thanks for that clarification. BTW Disk Tool is from Norton Utilities. Maybe there are better ways to mark/unmark bad clusters, that's just what I use.
  12. R

Desperate for Help Fixing a Leading Edge Model D

Your drive may just be developing some bad sectors. Here is what I do: run compress.exe from PCTools and run a surface analysis. This just scans the whole surface of the drive for bad sectors. It doesn't catch all of them though, so each time the drive pauses and "skips/repeats" or seeks back...
  13. R

MiniScribe 8438 flashing error code

I don't know if it would help at all, but I have a number of PCBs and even disk assemblies from the Miniscribe 8425/8438 twins that are faulty and malfunctioning. Would be glad to give them to a good home. ;) Track 0 on most Miniscribes is adjustable by rotating the interrupter on the stepper...
  14. R

Where to acquire DOM Adapter

I'm not sure if this belongs here but just had a quick question: I bought a disk-on-module (IDE) but did not realize that I had no way of connecting the 2.5" size female DOM to 3.5" size male IDE . . . I checked on eBay for adapters but they are all from China and would take quite a while to get...
  15. R

XT-IDE Bios at F200 - conflict

That did it! I guess I didn't realize what Full operating mode was. I suppose if I had read the instructions.... Apparently the tank game tries to use Rom basic for some reason, even though it doesn't actually need it. I should try running it on the IBM and see what it does.
  16. R

Great questions.... The splash screen said that the XUB was at F200h. The tank game you referenced is identical in concept and probably in gameplay by the looks of it, however it is definitely not the same game. I'm guessing it's a later version of the same game by the same company? Here is...
  17. R

That did it! Apparently it is indeed the ST01 8bit. Picture of identical care here: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/AEQAAOSwBw5XRHvX/s-l640.jpg Changed the rom address to CE00, now the XUB seems to be working correctly on D000. I am amazed that you were able to find all this information. Thank...
  18. R

Another clarification, I don't know that the bios address *can't* be changed on the scsi card, I just don't know how.
  19. R

Correct. It's as though it is not installed at all.
  20. R

XUB and attached drives are fully operational when the scsi card is removed, but seemingly non-existent when the scsi card is installed. I don't know if it's helpful, but I used debug to locate the scsi bios at DC000 (continuing on to DE000 which is the highest my xt-ide deluxe can go). With...