• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. U

Recommended PS/2 optical mice for DOS?

Yes, that what I would use.
  2. U

Recommended PS/2 optical mice for DOS?

Yea, I don't like those light mice either. My main machines use Red Dragon M601-3 USB gaming mice with adjustable weights in them.
  3. U

Gateway 2000 4DX2-66

You still have networking, video, memory and cache transfers, and sound using the same bus.
  4. U

Trying to reinstall OS X 10.3 on an eMac G4

It's just PC133 so you can test it in any PC that memory fits in (no idea how easy it is to get to the RAM since I don't own an emac). TechtoolsPro can test RAM
  5. U

Kernal Panics could also be from bad RAM or other hardware failure.
  6. U

WARNING: Clear QIC Tape Bands

If the abrasives are large enough to see settle, then they should be able to be filtered out as well.
  7. U

Classic 8X Plain IDE CD-ROM Drives

Core Duos are still cheap (systems and parts) so not sure those are worth selling. 486 systems are worth selling but are probably worth more in parts.
  8. U

No, just nonstandard OEM boards and power supplies.
  9. U

I tend to keep the old drives if they are working and when people are scrapping machines I tend to snag parts if I can for spares. The thing is I snag what I think I might need, not excess to sell when they get rare. When the early PPC macs were being scrapped I snagged a bunch of the SCSI...
  10. U

PATA is what you want for systems that are DMA capable and should use 80 pin ribbon cables. For early systems like high end 386 or 486 I just use SCSI drives (Plextor or Teac) if available since SCSI doesn't use up much processor time. There are or were tons of CDROM drives labeled Creative...
  11. U

Retail OSX versions tend to work well as long as they are later then the system was released. The original 700Mhz eMac was released with OEM OSX 10.1.4 so any retail 10.2.x or later should install (not that OSX 10.2 is that useful). I tend to use OSX 10.4 on a G4 and 10.5 on a G5 and 10.3 on...
  12. U

Old Parallel Port Dongles

Would still be nice to know what app it was for.
  13. U

Old Parallel Port Dongles

Is there a place that lists what programs old parallel port dongles go with? I have a sentinel Pro Dongle from Rainbow Technologies , Inc Irvine CA and wanted to know what app it was meant for.
  14. U

Picked up an incredible Commodore 64c haul yesterday w/ some really fantastic/rare items. However the C64 itself is (mostly?) dead - tips appreciated!

Some C64 have 5 pin DIN video out and some have 8. Atari 800's have 5 pin DIN and there are video cables meant for both machines but wiring is different.
  15. U

Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro + Win 3.11 default display modes?

Make sure you have the Stealth 3D 2000 PRO drivers and not just the 3D 2000 ones (you can find them on VOGONs). I would use an old CRT for testing since supported non interlaces modes might not be exactly 60 or 75 hz. From what I recall 60 should be the default but if you are a little under or...
  16. U

Getting back into older PC's with my first 486 Build in almost 30 years

The 16 bit memory bus machines can take 2 SIMMs (286, 386sx). For a full blown 486 you need 4 at a time that match.
  17. U

Cheap composite monitor

The original XBOX can do 720P on many games and a few at 1080i from what I recall, 480P being the lowest resolution. A stand alone 800x400 screen might be useful for a microscope with analog output for workbench use.
  18. U

Which retro Pentium for Win XP?

GPU load depends on the game and the CPU/memory bus limitations along with the GPU design. Older games will probably not make a GPU work much, and newer games on an older system could be too slow to feed the GPU enough for full power. As far as fans go, I have a Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 OC...
  19. U

Where can you still find a BABY AT Computer case?

Yes, but nobody was buying a new motherboard with an option for DOS sound in the late Windows 98/ME era. People who kept using DOS kept using their old gear.
  20. U

Where can you still find a BABY AT Computer case?

It's not like DOS was a selling point back then.