• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. F

Capacitor list for IBM 5150 16-64KB motherboard?

My DMM said the +5v and +12v lines from the two AT power supplies I tried are out of spec, so I ordered a recently built Athena Power 300w AT PSU from Amazon. I'll see what happens with the Athena when it arrives.
  2. F

I did and got no beeps. My multimeter then said the PSUs I was trying had gone out of spec, so I ordered a new one of those also. I think the suspect tant is in the lower-left corner in my uploaded picture. (I left it at work for the weekend since they have more tools and components for...
  3. F

Alright then, thanks. I'll let you guys know how things go.
  4. F

I'm ready to place the order for new capacitors, but are the smaller yellow things between the RAM banks and near the KB/Cassette ports also capacitors?
  5. F

Hello again. na103: That is exactly what I wanted, but my motherboard is the 16-64KB version which uses two-leg capacitors instead of three-legs. Are the values still the same? Modem7: The board does appear to be dead. I'll try your link, but I see a dark spot on one of the capacitors...
  6. F

I have a 5150 that won't boot, and I'd like to try replacing the capacitors. I can't find a list of which ones to order online, perhaps some of you know?
  7. F

Creator of HWiNFO seeks testers for updated DOS release.

The HWiNFO website recently updated their DOS version from 5.5.5 to 6.0.3, and the creator is on the VOGONS forums asking for bug-checks and logfile submissions to test compatibility with various hardware. More info is available on his thread there...
  8. F

What kind of screws are supposed to hold a XT's top cover in place?

I got a good deal on an XT to fix up, but the screws holding the cover on look like wood screws. (About an inch long and black) Does that sound like what's supposed to be back there? Hard drive screws that I thought were supposed to use aren't holding very well.
  9. F

Will an AT or Baby AT board mount in an IBM 5160?

I like the way these computers look, and want to build a DOS gaming machine in one. But since later games want faster hardware I'll need to upgrade the system. Will I be able to properly mount an AT or Baby AT motherboard in there and have the keyboard port and expansion slots line up?
  10. F

PCI audio card with GOOD quality? (For ITX DOS gaming build)

My Ensoniq PCI 128 card works, but sounds terrible compared to running the same games in DOSBOX on my modern PC. Does anybody here use a PCI audio card that sounds as good as an ISA one?
  11. F

Found a Tandy 4800 HD laptop, worth investing in a power cable for resale?

So the e-cycle place I work at has a 4800 HD with no power cable, and it appears to be in really good condition. I found an original power cable for it online, but without recent sales of similar units we can't judge whether or not it's worth the investment. Is this system that rare or is it...
  12. F

Floppy disk explaining how computers worked? Possibly from Tandy.

My family's first computer was a Tandy PC (I don't remember the model) but I recall it had a feature or disk explaining how instructions moved from the disk, to the memory, to the CPU, and so on. (Or possibly just showed the different parts of the computer in different colors when selected)...
  13. F

"Best" PCI audio card for Windows 98SE/DOS games?

I'm building a system for playing older games, but the motherboard I want to use does not have ISA slots. I've heard that a Sound Blaster 128 PCI card will work under Windows and also when I drop into DOS mode. If that's accurate, will it be compatible with most games out there, or is there a...
  14. F

USB/PCI to ISA adapter that works under DOS?

I have a computer for playing older games that runs Windows 98SE, but the audio doesn't work in DOS mode. An ISA sound card seems to be the answer, but the motherboard doesn't have any ISA slots. I've seen these adapters/converters online, but have any of you used one and will they support a...
  15. F

Tandy 1000 SL/2 keyboard?

We've acquired a Tandy 1000 SL/2 that's in great condition and boots up perfectly, but it doesn't have a keyboard. We can't resell it with the previous owners' files, so we need a compatible keyboard. It uses an 8-pin DIN connector on the back.
  16. F

Troubleshoot Osborne 1 A drive?

I have an Osborne 1 that won't boot from the A drive. I did the 'boot from B drive' trick and it loaded normally, but after reseating the connectors on the A drive it now gives me a 'bad sector' error from the same disk instead of a 'boot error' cascade. Is there anything I can try to fix the...
  17. F

Amiga model A4000 VGA trouble

We got a Video Toaster in to be recycled but we don't have the proper monitor. We tried buying a VGA adapter with signal generator off Ebay and it doesn't seem to be working either. We really want to know if this unit still works, is there any other way we can try to get a proper video signal?
  18. F

Need disk images to test a Kaypro II

Hello all, today a Kaypro II came into the warehouse and it looks immaculate and the screen works, but I can't get it to recognize my early DOS disks. I'm hoping somebody can upload an image of something it might be more familiar with?
  19. F

AC'97 audio driver or Sound Blaster emulator for DOS?

I'm using an ITX motherboard to run my retro gaming PC, and the expansion slot is currently hosting a graphics card. Everything seems to be working in Windows 98SE, except for audio when I drop into DOS mode. My research shows that my onboard AC'97 is the culprit. I'm hoping somebody here...
  20. F

How to recover data from unrecognized floppies?

I have a game I'd like to install but one of the install disks can't be recognized. Is there a program that can recover or rebuild the data? My Google search results all seem to promote their own program, what have you guys had luck with?
Back