• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. westveld

Keyboards really are terrible today, I think.

I bought a Unicomp New Model M in early 2022 and have a few clicky Model Ms. I agree - they are pretty good. I suspect if they added steel plates or something to up the weight many of the complaints would go away. YMMV though, as I prefer the rubber dome Model Ms like a weirdo
  2. westveld

What is this? Post Photos of Mystery Items Here (vintage computers only)

Anyone recognize this character set? I have a few of these mask ROMs - National Semiconductor MM52116FQU/N INS8316
  3. westveld

Kaypro Damage by Local Government - is it just an Australian thing?

And the joke is no one will take it if you put it out for free ... so put a price on it and someone will steal it :)
  4. westveld

Kaypro Damage by Local Government - is it just an Australian thing?

Is the US: I've seen plenty of cords cut off, but usually by the owner or scrappers. To scrap the copper, protect from liability, or a safety concern. I could see an argument for the liability/safety - if something is sitting out in the rain, might not be ideal for a random bloke to take it...
  5. westveld

Victor 9k / Sirius 1 Software

FYI Victor Folks - Paul has been adding LOTS of disk images over the last month - https://archive.org/details/@pauldevine Thanks, @pdevine !
  6. westveld

Protek DMM Software

That .ima file is just a raw disk image, I believe. 7-Zip (or NanaZip) is able to extract it to a folder
  7. westveld

3x Victor 9000s
  8. westveld

Do you order from small business online stores?

I just thought of those as small "random" stores that the folks here would know. It sounds like there are no problems trusting small stores - if the offerings and value are there. Easy peasy, haha
  9. westveld

Yeah, even my minimum cost in the US is around $4.40 with box. Annoying when someone wants 1 or 2 ICs. RE: Canada - High shipping from the US, but on the other hand:
  10. westveld

How harsh is shipping from Digikey to Kamloops? Looks like a beautiful place to live from photos :)
  11. westveld

RE: eBay drop shippers - It will be interesting to see if the new Bad Buyer Experience rating will help with those issues - at least in the cases it doesn't meet the promised time frame. I wish there was an option to sort or filter by delivery date when you are searching listings. For Amazon too.
  12. westveld

Do you order from small business online stores? I'm thinking Unicorn Electronics, TexElec, ReActiveMicro. Do you order from medium-size stores? Like Jameco, maybe Monoprice, Parts Express. My guess is no, aside from unique items that are only available at a specific store. Free shipping...
  13. westveld

Most PC MFM controllers have a ROM on the card, I don't think the Victor one does - it knows how to access the hard drive with the motherboard ROM.
  14. westveld

Good catch! Also on the other end by the power connector there is a skipped pin (at least on mine) On mine, I've bent those unused pins down a bit, so it reminds me to get it right :)
  15. westveld

Also check the floppy cable, I believe there are 2 headers on the mainboard it would fit - it needs to go to the one in the center, not near the slots. Doesn't seem to fry anything if you get it wrong, though :)
  16. westveld

At least disconnect the cables from the "new" hard drive and see if it will power on. The drive may have be shorting the bus somehow or drawing too much power.
  17. westveld

Does anyone know much about the disk part of the bios that gets loaded? Can it be switched out with a different one? I’m assuming that’s the difference between Vicki and Victor bootable disks. I don’t think I’ve seen a bootable CP/M 86 disk for the Vicki, although I’ve not caught up with all...
  18. westveld

Yes, the Victor 9000 with universal 3.7 motherboard rom(s) and 256k or more ram can boot MS-DOS 3.1
  19. westveld

Martin, It would be interesting to document this if you do have a drive meant for HD media. Could you post model #s of the drive(s) - may need to slide them out - on mine each drive has a screw on the bottom and side. One of mine has Tandon TM100-4 floppy drives. I'll have to check the others
Back