• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. K

Free To A Good Home (with conditions)

This post will be quite long, but it is important to read it carefully. The system is a 1977 vintage IMSAI PCS-80/30 system with two Northstar disk drives and an IDS impact printer (serial interface). First the good news. It is a complete system with everything shown in the first video...
  2. K

Videos of my 34 year old IMSAI PCS-80/30

I generated a couple of videos which show my 34 year old IMSAI system. Part one shows the hardware and the three operating systems that I used -- namely Northstar DOS, CP/M, and the UCSD p-code system. I also show my original printer, and a connected modern laptop...
  3. K

Commodore Plus 4 Found in Thrift Store

I stumbled onto this in a thrift store over the weekend. Marked $10, but with my 50% senior discount, I picked it up for $5. Came in a box with manuals, power adapter, and TV connection cables. http://home.comcast.net/~kvaughn65c/img_1109.jpg http://home.comcast.net/~kvaughn65c/img_1110.jpg...
  4. K

5151 high-persistence phosphor ghosting

I acquired an old IBM 5151 green phosphor monochrome monitor. It works fine, but the ghosting is more pronounced than I remember from the early 80's. When I scroll the display, the image persists for much longer than I think is normal -- it takes around 2 seconds to completely decay. Is this...
  5. K

Serial Connection -- Laptop to IMSAI

I'm absolutely sure that I will get a dozen replies saying that you have been doing this for years, but in case someone, like me, didn't think of it: I have been using a serial port to connect my IMSAI to a Win98SE laptop. This allows me to capture and send short files (under N*DOS or CP/M)...
  6. K

How do I create a dummy file entry with a specific length?

I have an old IMSAI with Northstar disk drives on which I run Northstar DOS 5.x and CP/M 2.2, both in double density. I need to transfer both text and binary files back and forth between the two operating systems. I do this with a "special" diskette, which is formatted as single density to...
  7. K

Websites Not Accessible

I noticed today that I was unable to access two valuable resources, namely: http://www.retroarchive.org/ http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/ I have visited both these sites within the last week or two. I don't think this is a browser problem, but if someone can access these sites, please...
  8. K

Some CP/M User's Manual Resources

I recently was successful in getting Dave Dunfield's NST program running on my IMSAI system with Northstar (hard sector) disk drives. This allows me to upload disk images (N* Dos, CP/M, and UCSD Pascal) and save them to disk. There is no shortage of disk images -- Dave Dunfield's website and...
  9. K

CP/M 2.2x (Northstar Disk) "NSDD" Program

Does anyone have any documentation on the CP/M 2.2x program NSDD.COM? When I execute it, I get the following: N*DOS -> CP/M File Transfer (NSDD 01.00) [(c) 1981 Infosoft Systems ] # I assume the # (pound sign character) is a prompt. I tried several response forms, but it didn't like any...
  10. K

CP/M 2.X and IMSAI CPU-B Conflicts

I used CP/M 1.4x with my IMSAI/Northstar Disk Drive system back in the day. I decided to bring up CP/M 2.2x on my system today. No big deal I thought -- I already had the CBIOS code from 1.4x, and only needed to make a few changes for additional jump vectors, etc. I typed in the CBIOS routine...
  11. K

Uploading Disk Images to IMSAI

I have been working off and on for some time to get Dave Dunfield's NST (Northstar disk image transfer) program working on a laptop which is communicating with my IMSAI via a serial cable. His procedure of "typing in" the I/O stub (hex file transfer) to the micro using the Northstar Monitor...
  12. K

DOS Utility to degragment HD

Does anyone know of a DOS program which would perform the equivalent of the current Window's defrag utility? The system with the hard disk is running under DOS 3.3.
  13. K

INTERLNK/INTERSVR running under DOS 3.3!

I have an external cabinet with a hard disk (Rodime 33MB) attached to one of my IBM 5150's. I have been wanting to transfer a large quantity of older DOS programs/data from a 486DX2 system (running DOS 6.22) back to the IBM PC which is running under DOS 3.3. I had previously backed up the...
  14. K

External Hard Drive on IBM 5150

I have two IBM 5150's -- a 16/64KB MOBO which I bought in the fall of 1981, and a 64/256KB MOBO which I bought at a bargain price 2 years later after my daughter "borrowed" the first PC when she left home to attend college. I used an external hard drive with both systems. My external hard...
  15. K

Un-Documented 8085 Instructions

While looking through some of my S-100 manuals today I found a two page photocopy of a Dr. Dobbs article which describes ten undocumented 8085 instructions. My vintage IMSAI PCS-80/30 contained a 8085 processor and I used several of these instructions in some of my programming, especially the...
  16. K

Question about C64 joysticks

My recently acquired C64 came with lots of games -- almost all require a joystick to play. My C64 came with game paddles, but no joystick. I have some IBM PC joysticks, but of course these plug into a 15 pin PC game port. What are my options? Should I look for a used Commodore joystick? Are...
  17. K

WTB: X1541 (PC to Commodore 1541 Disk XFER cable)

I am interested in transfering disk images from a PC (older laptop) to a Commodore 1541 disk drive. Does anyone here in the US have a cable they would like to sell. It is probably not worth paying the shipping from Europe. I could make one, but thought I would ask here first.
  18. K

Picked up a Commodore 64

Never owned one before -- found this on local Craigslist Commodore 64 including all required cables, connections to TV, two power supplies two 1541 disk drives GeoRam Memory Expansion cartridge (512K) Commodore mouse Geos 2.0, DeskPack Plus, GeoCalc, GeoFile, GeoPublish, manual, disks and...
  19. K

Resources -- hardware, cards, jumpers, etc

I have been a member of Vintage Computer Forums for about 6 months. Since joining and reading the posts in various forums I have learned of a couple good resources: Total Hardware 99 Stason.org Are there other similar online resources that I should know about?
  20. K

What was (is) this cable used for?

I found this cable in the electronics area at a local thrift shop. It was marked $1.50, so I bought it even though I have no idea what it is. The markings on the cable read: E119932 AWM 2725 80C 30V VW-1 LL84201 CSA AWM I/IIA 80C 30V FT1 COPARTNER The cable is 6' long and has a PS/2 (male)...
Back