• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. S

many parts for sale (2 lots)

Vintage and Obsolete computers / parts for sale (2 lots) Location: Saint Hubert, QC, Canada. This ad has been posted elsewhere. *everything is AS-IS* NO SHIPPING - PICKUP ONLY. NO TRADES. NO SPLITS. CASH ONLY. Vintage is considered to be at least 25 years old by vintage-computer.com. When...
  2. S

FS: mostly amiga 2000hd/vic20 hardware/software

not willing to ship but will deliver within 30km of South Shore of Montreal, Canada. ok for pickups. this ad also posted elsewhere no splits amiga 2000hd rev 6.2 computer: mouse control doesn't work (bad serial port) no battery damage - battery was removed years ago makes it to kickstart...
  3. S

XTIDE funding problem

Hargle said this in "XT IDE Ordering interest?" http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?18242-XT-IDE-Ordering-interest-%28Was-Xt-ide&p=152879#post152879 snippet: This situation has been bugging me for some time too. Why should Hargle not be compensated for his ongoing work...
  4. S

Lubricating fans

A while back I searched google for a way to lubricate fans. I came up with graphite powder and blogged about it http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/entry.php?44-Graphite-powder-for-noisy-fans. Then I found out from Chuck that high temperature grease is better because it's a poor conductor of...
  5. S

5 1/4 HDD cooling mount I made

After feeling the heat of a voltage regulator and some metal can transistors on the underside of my 10 meg drive I wanted cooling while I exercise my MFM drive collection. I came up with this. It uses an epson 5 1/4" adapter for 3.5" drives with no front (any floppy adapter would have worked but...
  6. S

IMI5012H hard disk specs needed!

I have an International Memories Inc. 5012H hard disk that I want to exercise. I haven't used it in a few years. I had an 8 bit Xebec controller that it plugged into. During a recycling run, I recycled the controller because I thought I could just use BIOS type 1 in an AT BIOS if I wanted to...
  7. S

Colorado Memory Systems external ??

I have 2 of these Colorado Memory Systems converters that I found and have no use for. They are 40 pins and seem to bring IDE to an external tape drive I assume. Anyone know how these work? Year is 1987.
  8. S

First Monitor Eulogy

I am taking the first monitor and first expensive computer part I ever owned to the recyclers. It is the Viewsonic PS790 19" CRT. It lasted 12 years as my primary monitor. I paid over $2000 for it with the money from my first real job, working for a software company. It upgraded me from a 14"...
  9. S

Graphite powder for noisy fans

EDIT: Google failed me. Graphite powder conducts electricity so a leak could mean a short circuit in your computer. High temperature grease is better. See this forum thread: http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?21338-Lubricating-fans BELOW IS THE OLD POST, FOR REFERENCE...
  10. S

XT reset switch hack

I managed to make a really sweet hack for an XT reset switch for my original IBM XT mobo. Do do this hack you need: banana terminal with 2mm screw ground wire with round type lug on one end and normal lug on other end header pin bus (I think it's called that) soldering iron / shrink wire 100...
  11. S

EGA 43 rows on monochrome

Using a Paradise autoswitch EGA 2 v3 I was able to get 43 rows on an amber monochrome monitor using the extended EGA text modes. Actually it looks really sweet and I have a screen shot. It is connected to an XT and showing a vt102 terminal to my linux server using a null modem cable. Just put...
  12. S

CGA mystery

In my lab in high school we had original IBM XTs. When we ran "ibasic.com" or "cbasic.com" on them we could then use the command "screen 1" to change to graphics mode. The graphics was CGA but the monitor was monochrome. It was not herculese graphics I don't think. How is this possible? Did IBM...
  13. S

People who'd throw out hardware if they can't make a profit

I think this post is a +5 insightful. This guy has gone half-way into the selling paradigm in order to balance the question of what to do with extra vintage hardware if you must ship it out. I have the same questions myself that I am going through right now. for context: the mac seller had a...
Back