• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. P

ISA USB board

Maybe it would be better to use an expansion slot USB port and have internal header motherboard type pin headers on the card itself.
  2. P

ISA USB board

Looks good @FreddyV - considerably more oomph on the storage board than the system it’s serving I’m sure! @Malc Ive not costed up the single slot but it will be about the same as the first one. The challenge still comes back to the bracket. The ROM I have moved to a PLCC btw.
  3. P

ISA USB board

@Malc - I've done two - an updated version of my single-port small card and a 'full feature' dual-port card. Both are based on the '376. There is quite a lot of logic on the dual-port "twincharger" card which makes it relatively expensive (maybe USD 100). It's in discrete logic as I'm always...
  4. P

ISA USB board

If the BIOS code is running from an 8-bit ROM, without shadowing etc., this could explain some difference.
  5. P

CF to IDE on my Tandy 1000HD

My parts box has brands like SanDisk. Verbatim, Kingston, PQI Industrial, some Seagate Microdrives too, ranging from 32MB to 8GB and all work fine. I haven't had a non-working card so don't know for sure what it is about them that is the problem. It is though worth noting that CompactFlash is a...
  6. P

Tandy 1400 Lo-Tech XT-CF Help

I'd suggest looking at the 5V line - voltage and stability. CompactFlash is a dual-voltage specification, 3V3 and 5V, and the Tandy I think is CMOS? So, there could be some marginal signal levels causing problems.
  7. P

CF to IDE on my Tandy 1000HD

The adapter supports any ATA-2 compliant hard disk (almost all of which will be long defunct) but also microdrives, if you want something a bit unusal. CompactFlash is best for most people though as it's easy to plug them in to a modern PC for file exchange too (via a USB adapter).
  8. P

Full height HDD (IMI 5012H) with a LoTech XT-CF (v2)

The listed addresses are simply segment addresses, which are 16-byte aligned. I think this was always the convention for option ROMs.
  9. P

PCI to ISA adapter boards?

Presumably so if you have 5V PCI slots in the host.
  10. P

IBM PS/2 Model 25 with XTIDE Universal BIOS

Thanks. At least with the ROM at D800, I think it's OK - the ROM can be seen in the memory address space just fine. Do you have the system configuration disk? I wondered if that might have any settings relating to option ROMs. I did read mention of two ROMs in these machines (one for OS/2) but I...
  11. P

IBM PS/2 Model 25 with XTIDE Universal BIOS

I'm troubleshooting an issue with an IBM PS/2 model 25 (8086 based) using Revision 0 system ROM (the ROM contains at the start 00F2122 (C) COPYRIGHT IBM CORPORATION 1981,1987 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED) with XTIDE Universal BIOS (XUB). I can see previous threads where people get this machine working...
  12. P

Area 5150 for IBM PC 4.77MHz

I guess this is hand-coded to the peculiarities of a real IBM CGA card as it doesn't want to play on either a Tandy 1400 nor an Amstrad PPC640. I'd be really interested to know more about how the scrolling and reflections are achieved as it kind seems impossible at 4MHz!
  13. P

wow, even the end credits?
  14. P

Very nice, especially the credits at the end with the reflection. The scrolling space ship is pretty stand out too. This surely needs a sound blaster?
  15. P

Backup battery and Main battery for Tandy 1400FD

Re main battery - the mAh capacity really doesn't matter - it just defines the run-time. More mAh will give more run time. Provided it's a 4-cell NiCd type it should work fine, albeit with a life expectancy of only a few years. Re internal battery - I soldered some wires to the terminals of...
  16. P

Backup battery and Main battery for Tandy 1400FD

D-cell type are still available as used in some home alarm systems, for example: https://www.fireprotectionshop.co.uk/p/4.8v-emergency-lighting-battery-pack-side-by-side.html I've used a radio-control model 4.8V NiMH battery - with appropriate connection adapter - but I found that although the...
  17. P

ISA USB board

At least on 5160, it will need to use slot 8 or have a physical connection to the ROM socket(s). I’ve documented why here: https://www.lo-tech.co.uk/understanding-pcxt-slot-8/ I don’t know about other systems.
  18. P

ISA USB board

One challenge might be that the system board buffers make placement difficult. On 5160 for example, we cannot DMA from slot 8 but I think we also cannot present Fxxx except from slot 8 (or the ROM sockets of course).
  19. P

ISA USB board

The shadow function can potentially improve performance only on machines with 16-bit memory bus - 8086, v30, and 286 machines basically.
Back