• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. C

VGA MaxStation

So, some months ago, I was in an electronics surplus store and picked up what was obviously an X terminal - tiny metal slab with a VGA connector, serial & parallel, AT keyboard, and RJ45 "communication" port - named as in the thread title. I got it bare, without the external PSU that would've...
  2. C

VAX/Smalltalk-80?

Just in the middle of getting a fresh OpenVMS install set up on my VAXStation (the original having been done years ago when I barely had any idea what I was doing,) and looking through various repositories for interesting software to put on there. I know from reading up that, back in the day...
  3. C

HP-UX 10.20 install issue

I'm having some trouble getting HP-UX up and running on a PA-RISC workstation I picked up at VCFW a couple years back. In brief, I'm using what I've found listed as the "HP-UX 10.20 (2000-03) S800 Install and Core OS" disc image. This boots into the install environment just fine, but runs into a...
  4. C

Tru64 install issue...

So I'm trying to get a Tru64 (5.0) install going on a DEC 3000/300x workstation I got ahold of. I've gotten as far as booting and running the installer, and things appear to be totally fine...but when it finishes and tries to boot into the resulting install, it ends up in single-user mode after...
  5. C

The running PDP-8/SBC6120 software project/questions thread

So I'm dusting off something I started on a year or so back - I had wanted to cobble together a modest game project to demo on my SBC6120 at VCF West. Unfortunately, other stuff piled up on my to-do list and I ended up missing it anyway due to car trouble. I'd like to see if I can actually make...
  6. C

FT: miscellaneous bits

Stumbled onto an estate sale today only to find out that I'd just missed snagging a Heathkit H11 setup :/ But there were a few bits of interesting miscellany that they'd tossed in the dumpster pile, so I grabbed them just for the heck of it. I don't really have any need for any of them, but...
  7. C

So what the heck did I just pick up?

Ran into this at the electronics-surplus store just down the way from my workplace and grabbed it on the cheap. I don't actually know what it is, but the labels on the switches make it look a hell of a lot like a 16-bit general-purpose computer of some kind. Despite the claims of being...
  8. C

Hp 9000/360

Picked this up at an electronics scrapcyclesaler near where I work (it's Surplus Stuff in Sacramento, CA if you're in the area - they have piles of cast-off lab and industrial equipment in addition to the usual shelves full of disused PCs and retired networking gear. This seemed to be the only...
  9. C

OS/8 programming overview?

So I've picked up an SBC6120 kit now that my number finally came up on the waiting list :) Still need to get it assembled, but I'm starting to scheme up a little development project that I'm kinda hoping to have ready for the next VCFW ;) However, OS/8 isn't like DOS where there's a million...
  10. C

Modern-ish OS for Pentium systems...

I've got a few GB to spare on the hard disk of the DOS/WfW Pentium/120 system I'm putting together, and I'd kind of like to get something semi-modern-ish (by which I mean: preemptive multitasking, memory protection, and built-in networking support, ideally with a reasonable GUI option as well)...
  11. C

Cacheable RAM on a Socket 7 system

So I picked up a nice little Socket 7 PCI/ISA mobo with a Pentium 120 in it from liqmat's giveaway a while back, and I've finally gotten around to hooking it all up and getting a nice DOS/WfW setup going (tried Win95, but either it doesn't like the chipset or it's even crashier than I...
  12. C

HP Visualize C200 - video issue

Well, normally I'd ask on Nekochan for this kind of thing, but since it's down at the moment: I have an HP Visualize C200 PA-RISC workstation I just got around to doing a fresh install of HP-UX 11.11 on. I had to track down an EVC-to-VGA converter to go with the video card, and while it does...
  13. C

Wanted: small composite CRT monitor

I picked up an Apple IIc this past weekend and I want to set it up with a small monitor on my desk at work. Unfortunately, I seem to have gotten rid of the small composite monitor that I know I had at one point, so I don't have a good spare monitor that isn't a bit too large for my workspace...
  14. C

"Retro" Propeller computer project

This might sorta fit better under "Vintage Computer Programming," but it concerns a machine that A. doesn't exist yet and B. isn't technically vintage, so I'll just throw it here instead. Anyway, this was inspired by a comment Chuck made a while back about the lack of a good starter system for...
  15. C

x86 assembly language question

I'm picking up one of my projects again, developing a game engine with DOS as one of the target platforms. Unlike the other targets, which are written in C with SDL, the DOS version is actually a reimplementation in 32-bit assembly language. The bit I'm currently working on is the bytecode...
  16. C

Wanted: working 486 system

I've been trying to get a decent 486 build going for years. I have a wide variety of parts on hand, but for some reason I've never, ever been able to get a 486 board to POST, even after checking all the jumpers against any available documentation, even with a bare board, VGA, and RAM - no...
  17. C

PET won't power on

So I picked up a PET 4016 that had been sitting in a storage unit for God knows how long yesterday. Opened it up and things look pretty good overall (lotta dust, but no rust or capacitor leakage.) But when I plugged it in and flicked the switch, nothing happened - even the monitor doesn't turn...
  18. C

FT: 68EC030 40MHz part

I have a 40MHz 68EC030 (the variant without the built-in MMU) that I don't need (replaced it with a 50MHz part in the Amiga accelerator I got it from,) and I'm looking for a 25MHz full '030 for a homebrew project. I'll trade straight-across, shipping covered. Mask is 59C74N for those who care...
  19. C

Request: get the old theme back as an option

As mbrutman requested, I'm going to start a request thread for this. Can we please have the old forum theme as an option? I don't even particularly care if it uses the new logo, but this new color scheme is unpleasant and I'd like the old one back.
  20. C

So what the heck did I just pick up? (weird ISA card)

Ran into this in the thrift store today and for the couple bucks they were asking I couldn't resist snagging it. It came in a "VL Laboratories" box and the label on the card identifies it as a VL-111 Rev. C, but Google isn't turning up much on that, and there's no documentation in the box. It's...
Back