• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. G

A strange hidden feature of the IBM MDA card...

I do not like to necropost, but here is a video I made capturing the color MDA in action:
  2. G

5155 replacement keyboard feet

The original feet were made out of what seems to have been rather heavy duty plastic, it feels similar to the top half of the IBM PC/XT keyboard's shell. Would the nylon parts be able to withstand the weight of the keyboard over the long term?
  3. G

Tandy 1000 Keyboard Adapter Reproduction

This is no longer accurate, as I was able today to trigger the boot functions on my TX with this adapter, but there are some limitations compared to the original keyboard: The triggering requires much more careful timing, the best way to ensure a function is triggered is to hold down the...
  4. G

The Scott Baker design does not work with the F1-F4 bootup function keys.
  5. G

Do these adapters work with the F1-F4 function keys that do things like swap drives and set the system into slow mode when pressed on bootup?
  6. G

1000EX 5.25 Floppy Drive Issue

What does the drive do when you power the system? Does the drive activity light turn on, does the disk spin? Do the drive heads move?
  7. G

ROM Dump of Tandy 1000SL BIOS needed

https://github.com/86Box/roms - has SL/2 ROM dumps, which should work in the SL.
  8. G

Apple ][ Plus Monitor Advice

I would avoid the Apple ColorMonitor IIe and IIc, a.k.a. AppleColor Composite Monitor IIe and IIc, they have a peculiarly ugly way of decoding composite color, which gives every area of solid color a very "stripey" look. Text is very sharp on them, but if you want more solid color you can...
  9. G

Tandy Color Deluxe Joystick Dead Stick

I think the issue is likely in the joystick circuit itself, the schematic for which is on page 72 of the scanned Tandy 1000 SX Technical Reference Manual. The main culprits of failure are U17, the voltage comparator or the components Q1, Q2, CR1 and C118 which do the bulk of comprising the...
  10. G

Tandy 1000SX Video Output Issue

As Eduimorphodon said, those RCA jacks are useless without a Feature Board. Using an EGA card would avoid the on-board video, but you have the issue of programs that expect Tandy video in a Tandy 1000, EGA is slower than Tandy video in many programs and some programs only use Tandy sound when...
  11. G

Tandy 1000 EX/HX DMA Solution?

There may always be a program with an unknown protection and not cracked, so adding the DMA controller eliminates one reason why the program may not work with these machines. Some people would like to run original disks rather than copies if possible.
  12. G

Tandy 1000 EX/HX DMA Solution?

I cannot seem to find any homebrew memory board upgrades for the Tandy 1000 EX or HX that include the DMA function. DMA is typically required for DRAM refresh, but SRAM does not need periodic refresh and all homebrew upgrades use SRAM. DMA is also typically used for floppy disk drive data...
  13. G

Tandy 1000SX Video Output Issue

I would consider testing the 78L05 at VR1 with your multimeter to see if it is outputting 5v. The weakness may not be in the transistor but the power source driving it. Also consider replacing C175 and C176, which are capacitors in the path of the voltage to the amplification circuit.
  14. G

Pool of Radiance and Curse of the Azure Bonds DOS Music

Pool of Radiance was originally developed for the Commodore 64 and released in 1988 for the Commodore 64 and DOS. Pool of Radiance has theme music in the C64 version which plays on the title screen and was composed by Dave Warhol (Warhol Theme). The Warhol Theme was reused for the game's...
  15. G

Tandy 1000 SX Software Transfer

While the most current version of Total DOS Collection may not be publicly available, it is quite likely that there are some older versions Archived on the Internet.
  16. G

Tandy 1000 SX Software Transfer

The Good Old Days and the Total DOS Collection are the best publicly available software repositories of floppy images, Winworldpc has some too. If your Gotek is not upgraded to FlashFloppy or HxC you won't be able to do much with it. I believe the stock Gotek firmware only allows one image at...
  17. G

TRS-80 : Getting to "Level III"

I was gifted a TRS-80 Model 1 with Level II BASIC and 16KiB of RAM on Thursday. It came with the Video Display (no tint, B&W) and its Power Supply and bunch of manuals and a pair of cassette packages. The system works perfectly, is in excellent shape and has a nice Alps keyboard with all good...
  18. G

Amstrad PC-20 RF Output

The Amstrad PC-20 seems to be one of, if not the rarest, of the Amstrad IBM PC compatible machines. The wedge-form factor computer was released as the Sinclair PC-200 in the U.K. but as the Amstrad PC-20 in the US and apparently other parts of the world. I have seen photographs with the...
  19. G

Apple II Printer Interfaces, Serial or Parallel

From what I have read and researched, most Apple II applications which could send output to a printer were not, at least by the time of the //e, especially particular about whether your printer connected via a serial port or a parallel port. This assumes of course that you had the de-facto...
  20. G

Disk II Troubles

I bought a "working" Disk II off eBay, but I have had nothing but problems with it. At first it would sometimes copy disks and sometimes fail. I cleaned the read/write head with alcohol, I lubed the drive rails with silicone grease and I reseated all the chips and cables. But now when the...
Back