• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. K

Has anyone seen an Osborne keyboard like this?

I was putting together the mechanical keyboard kit I bought for my Osborne 1 and decided to look at the insides of the two other keyboards I have. Both are Oasborne 1A's Pic of all three: The bottom one caught my eye because its completely different than the two other keyboards I have and...
  2. K

Well Now I have a Kaypro

Made a low bit on Ebay on a Kaypro 1 and it just came in. It's in really amazing shape. Will go through it before I try to boot it.
  3. K

The South Looking for one working Osborne 1 Siemens floppy drive or circuit board.

I'm looking for 1 good Siemens FDD 100-5 floppy drive board for a Osborne 1 The later the revision the better. I have four Siemens floppy drives and only one works, all four have different revision boards so its a pain to try to troubleshoot the other three because only one board actually...
  4. K

Osborne 1 external video output adapter and cable ID needed.

I received this with one of my Osborne 1's. Seems to have a RCA style connector on the end of the cable so I plugged it into an old tv and there is definitely an output. When I unplug the cable from the tv it goes blank and when I plug it in I get this again so its not a artifact from the...
  5. K

Recived my second Osborne, its a Osborne 1A and really nice.

I just got it today. No yellowing. A few scuffs and scratches. It does have the DD board. It's not working, seems to be the norm. LOL
  6. K

First power on with the Osborne 1, have issues.

Everything connected except the floppy drives, motherboard laying behind the chassis on the table right side up. Powered on no beep, turned up brightness and contrast about halfway. Reset switch does not work. Got this. Turned up contrast all the way and brightness probably about 80% or so...
  7. K

Osborne 1 bypassing the floppy ribbon cable for power to the floppy drives.

Anyone done it? Is it a worthwhile mod? I'm asking because my Osborne 1 only has one connector used on the power supply output. I'm thinking of using the two unused outputs, one each for each floppy drive. I already replaced the Rifa caps and am thinking of improving the reliability of the...
  8. K

I have joined the Osborne 1 club today.

I just got it in, and its in AMAZING shape!! A couple of scrapes on the top but overall I am pleased. The only yellowing on it is on one end of one side of the bottom of the keyboard. It is really not needing a restoration, just a cleaning and disassembly to check everything out before the...
  9. K

Compaq Deskpro 286 bios's

Seems like my 286 Motherboard does not recognize 1.44 mb drives and am wondering if a newer bios does.
  10. K

What is the latest Digital Research x86 OS that will run CP/M-86 Programs?

I'm unsure what is the newest version OS that will run CP/M-86 programs. I have not played around with CP/M-86 in about ten years and been thinking about diving back in again. EDIT: I will run on real hardware not an emulator. I have 8088, 8086 386, 486 boards that I can use, sadly no 286's...
  11. K

Compaq Deskpro keyboard information needed.

My Compaq Deskpro 8086 uses a XT compatible keyboard, my question is when did Compaq go to a AT compatible keyboard. With the Deskpro 286 or 386 or later? The reason is I am putting a new 486 motherboard in my 8086 Deskpro. I am looking for a Compaq AT compatible keyboard that has the...
  12. K

My 8086 Deskpro is on its last legs.....Upgrade time!

My 8086 Deskpro has been acting flakey and has a few issues. Last night I powered on and it popped a tantalum capacitor, not the first one so that by itself is not a big deal or hard to fix but it has been giving me issues for the past couple of years. Has a dead ISA slot and one that...
  13. K

A little bit of a surprise tonight.

I'm bored so I started testing some of my old stuff that has been packed away for years, and I started off with a old EPOX socket 7 AT motherboard, might be a HP oem board but i'm not %100 sure. Four matching sticks of ram, Pentium 100, a newer cr2032 bios battery, an old AT case and power...
  14. K

I build a Dual Xeon E5 2670 main pc and OMG LOL

Got the idea a few months ago from http://www.techspot.com/review/1155-affordable-dual-xeon-pc/ and its been running since the end of April. Its a blast!! LOL!! I was streaming a movie, running my virus scanner, running windows update, downloading a win 10 image, installed office 2010 and...
  15. K

Memory board om Xenix 86 question.

This is out of SCO Xenix system V runtime manual. "We have used the following memory cards under XENIX-86XT: AST 6 pack + Tandon etc." Anybody knows how it was used as I have a 2mb ram card in my 8086 Deskpro and sure would like to use it under Xenix, maybe as a ramdisk for swap? I have not...
  16. K

My Compaq 8086 configured to get the time via the net...some pics.

I hated having to type the time in EVERY time on boot up on my 8086 Compaq Deskpro so this is how I fixed it . :cool: Pic of my autoexec.bat Batch file to configure DHCP. Batch file called from within first batch file to connect to a internet time server. Booting up with XTide...
  17. K

Everex 286 award v3.03 bios

Has no user defineable settings in the onboard setup . It lists type 1-47 with no way to add a custom set up. I have a 16 bit ide controller card which does work , its a PINE TECHNOLOGY PT-606E , none of the old IDE hard drives I have match any of the types listed in the setup. I'm able to use...
  18. K

Interested but where to start?

I guess starting with the backplane/motherboard id prefer to go with new either build it from parts/kit or maybe ready to go. What are my options?
  19. K

Well this was alot easier than I thought.

I've been wanting a computer running CP/M for a long time. I was planning on running CP/M ver 3.0 on something but ended up with CP/M -86 because it was just so easy. Found a 360k CP/M-86 for the IBM pc ver 1.1 boot disc. As it works just fine on a 8088 XT clone mb with 256k ram running off a...
  20. K

CP/M-86 for IBM PC and XT version 1.1 on a 8088

I was diagnosing my Beltron XT clone mb , it turned out to be a mounting screw shorting one trace to ground , and as it was booting up I grabbed a boot floppy . I was thinking it was my MS Dos 6.22 360k boot disk but as it was booting I realized I grabbed the wrong one. It booted anyway and...
Back