• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. deathshadow

Opinion needed... Building MDA game.

I'm working on a project where I'm making the graphics compatible back to MDA. (yes, that's a thing)... but I'm just not getting enough horsepower for the non-video aspect of it. (Audio, level sizes) Is it a waste of time to make an MDA game that's 286+ only? It feels wrong.
  2. deathshadow

Not entirely OT, but drawing with CSS...

On my websites I use HTML and CSS to do drawings a lot. I've even got a in progress project where I'm going to have a website where you can play old text games ported to JavaScript, displayed on what looks like a TRS-80 monitor. (right down to the scanlines) On twitter I came across someone...
  3. deathshadow

Hercules Plus and/or InColor Detection and Font Setting

Whilst I have a working inColor card in my collection, my Google-fu is failing me at coming up with any meaningful information on programming the text mode fonts on it. I also remember that the GB112 (aka Hercules Plus) could also do custom fonts. Lowest target for my project is MDA, but I was...
  4. deathshadow

Model III/4 Display Question

Playing around on my 4P in model III mode, and I could swear I'm remembering this different. Was the model III character set that radically different from the Model 1? I could have sworn that apart from upper/lower case they were identical, but it looks like characters 0..0x20 and 0xC0 to 0xFF...
  5. deathshadow

Anyone have a copy of "The Stripper"?

It was a USCD Pascal program that went through the code for other interpreted languages and removed comments and dead code, back in the days when most interpreters (like BASIC) were still slowed down by comments, and the dirtbag predator sleaze were charging for software by the KLoC. There were...
  6. deathshadow

CGA timing issue

It's been a LONG time since I programmed the PIT to fire per scanline on CGA, and I seem to have gone full Gungan on how it works. Meesa sayz yew nevah goes teh FULL Gungan... I thought the CGA horiz frequency was 18.73khz, but if there are 254 scanlines per frame and it's 60 frames a second...
  7. deathshadow

Non-standard VGA mode setting.

I could have sworn there was a way to set a non-standard 768x512 mode on a standard VGA. I have the easy 720x480 mode up and working, but attempts to narrow the front/back porch are immediately taking things out of sync. I know there's the VESA 768x576 that most clones can easily handle the...
  8. deathshadow

EGA on monochrome, I thought it had 4 level greyscale?

Am I remembering this wrong, or did the universe skip a groove again? I can't find any information about it, but I could have sworn that a 64k EGA on a TTL monochrome display was capable of 4 level greyscale 640x350 graphics, since intensity without video is supposed to deliver "dim".... as...
  9. deathshadow

Security warning about coin-miner

Just a heads up, but recently a JavaScript was invented that lets site owners run a JavaScript in your browser that will mine cryptocurrency such as bitcoin or montero while you are browsing their site. This can consume massive amounts of CPU if you have multiple tabs open and/or leave them open...
  10. deathshadow

If you were downsizing...

*NOTE* none of this is actually up for sale yet, I'm just thinking... made me wonder if others have similar issues with their collections. I'm also just thinking aloud here. I've been considering the need to downsize my collection a bit, and was just thinking of priorities and what I use, what...
  11. deathshadow

Vintage raster fonts on modern systems/websites

I'm working on a redesign of my website and been playing with the idea of recreating the CGA font. There are existing ones like "Ultimate Oldschool PC Font Pack": http://int10h.org/oldschool-pc-fonts/fontlist/ But, well.. in the case of CGA fonts I think that the mentality of it may be all...
  12. deathshadow

TINY memory model C, compiler recommendation?

I'm seriously considering kicking Pascal to the curb. As high level languages go it's always been my first love -- the strict typecasting, the forward declarations, the verbose non-cryptic structures... C pisses me off a LOT for being needlessly and pointlessly cryptic, letting you create code...
  13. deathshadow

Squeezing blood from a stone... (paku 2.0 status)

Just thought I'd share a bit of a progress report. As some of you may remember, I am still working intermittently on Paku Paku 2.0 -- which is using a whole new codebase to try and get it up to full speed on a unexpanded PCJr. I was playing with FPC's new 16 bit DOS support, and while that's...
  14. deathshadow

Complaints

On top of the existing vBullesh** woes of crappy templates with px metric fonts and lack of semantics being a giant middle finger to users, now we have illegible colour contrasts and so knee deep in some sort of rubbish scripttardery that just TRYING to write a post crashes Firefox? I mean...
  15. deathshadow

Were there any ACTUAL AT class Tandy 1000's?

This occurred to me in the magiduck thread, thought I'd come right out and ask. It seems like every Tandy 1000 that had a 286 processor -- like the RLX -- only had 8 bit slots and lacked the second IRQ and DMA chips to be a true AT class machine; just like how they were limited to 384k of...
  16. deathshadow

What is this? Just a floppy controller, or more?

I grabbed a PC clone off e-fence since I wanted a spare XT era case and PSU, and getting one with a 640k XT clone mobo populated with cards was just a bonus... but the "floppy controller" in this thing is quite... unusual... Most of the board seems to have jack *** to do with being a floppy...
  17. deathshadow

PCJr lesson learned - STAY AWAY FROM DOS!

One of the big reasons for my rewriting Paku Paku and the engine it's based on from scratch was to make it more viable on an unexpanded 128k PcJr... which laughably is lowering the system target from the original 5150 concept... a LOT. I've got my own internal profiler that lets me break the...
  18. deathshadow

Site reskin/update

In preparation for launching Paku Paku 2.0 I've reskinned my website to be less "harsh" and updated the back end code a bit. Deathshadow's Madness Just interested in people's reaction to the reskin. I went with C64-ish colours as the starting point, which should be way better than the bright...
  19. deathshadow

Continuing my sound card support (IMF)

Rather than go full threadjack on Trixter's thread about his way cool recovery of the long-lost dreadful-sounding IMF demo, I figured I'd start a new thread in programming answering some questions and relating where I'm at on trying to implement support. The thing is not all controller cards...
  20. deathshadow

What I'm working on 2, Sound

Just thought I'd share the next part of my rewrite of my DOS game engine, the sound engine. As I've been switching to putting everything in the data segment instead of using the heap and heading towards a monolithic executable, the music playback system needs an overhaul since I was dynamically...
Back