• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. D

SUN SPARCstation 2 - serial console garbled after OS start?

Well, set the NVRAM and ethernet/hostid. Doesn't make any difference (I did find out I can send a BREAK signal with screen though, so I learned something). All the errors are gone but still after loading vmunix everything goes weird, also in screen so it's not the Terminal program I'm using...
  2. D

Well, 7E1 don't make it better... still the same. I checked the readable output a bit and made some screenshots... there's an "invalid format code in NVRAM" error and I see the system type set to Sun 4/60 and afterwards to Sun 4/75 if that makes any difference? The ethernet address and hostid...
  3. D

Hi Alex, This is the First SUN that gave me this "issue", although as mentioned below (well, above) I never had anything pre-SunOS 5.9 installed on one of them (I got them this way). I'm using some program on my MacBook Air, I think it's called SerialTools or something, works perfectly with one...
  4. D

Hi guys, I have a little issue with my SS2 (kinda hard to explain in good English, but at least we still have the photo's): I picked up another SS2 (and a very cool SS20 with 2 CPU's) after "that other SS2" seemed to have memory mapping problems. So now I had this one, obviously RTC battery was...
  5. D

Philips NMS9100: several questions

It's been 12 years, still looking? I might have something. (NI engineers manual NMS9100) ;-) (sorry, couldn't resist)...
  6. D

SUN SparcStation 2 memory issue?

Thanks for the answers guys, I'll check on that... but I did remove all the SIMMs and cleaned the slots, didn't notice any bent or missing pins. I did find something on the internet about a guy who also had the Observed/Expected error on his SS2 and he ended up pulling the NVRAM (because of...
  7. D

SUN SparcStation 2 memory issue?

Hi Guys, I just picked up some SUN stuff and among an Ultra 2 Enterprise (working, anfter the NVRAM repair) and SparcStation Classic (dead PSU), Ultra 30 (also working after NVRAM repair but missing one rubber foot) there also was a SparcStation 2. I like the flat pizza box design and it powers...
  8. D

Gateway 2000 empty drive bay cover

Put a tape drive in there? ;-)
  9. D

Looking for a PA-8900 CPU for my rp3440

Hi guys, I 'm looking for a 2nd CPU for my rp3440 server... would be nice to max it out. It currently has 1 CPU: a PA-8900 @ 1.0GHz with 64MB cache (HP part#: AB535-62001). Been checking eBay and prices there are crazy if I can even find one (most is the 800Mhz PA8800). So if anyone here happens...
  10. D

Looking for 2 (matching) PIII 1.0GHz Slot-1 CPU's

Hi guys, I've picked up something nice (I think): a Compaq Proliant CL3000, a Cluster Server. I can't find a lot about it, but it's a nice machine: two nodes in a tower case with a shared storage attached. Never seen one before, although in the past a customer of mine used to have a CL server...
  11. D

Sun Ultra 5 DoM issue

Hi Guys, I'm trying to get a DoM (Disk on Module) working in my Sun Ultra 5 workstation. I've got myself an 8GB module. Booting the machine of course gives me the "corrupt label - wrong magic number" message. But when I boot from Solaris (8, SPARC july 2003) it asks me to format the disk and it...
  12. D

Troubleshooting OPTi 486 VLB motherboard

YAY!!!!! It's working again! Sooo happy... So, I desoldered the tantalums @ PSU area. Although they hadn't exploded, two of them were "kinda black-faced" and with all 4 gone the board fired right up again. So I cleaned the soldering holes with some copper weave and looked in my stash to see that...
  13. D

Well, from what I just measured with my multimeter set to Ohm: All three +5V rails show nothing (wel from -168 to then 0) or max 10 Ohms. -5V rail actually "charges" (so goes from 200 to 450 to 730 etc). +12V also "charges" -12V does the same as all three +5V rails do, minus something to about...
  14. D

Holy cr*p, that is EXACTLY what it is... how'd you guess? I never knew the board brand in all the years I have it. Here it is (sitting pretty behind a SuperSPARC and some Itanium and Pentium CPU's: Guess I'll start off with checking the power rails then. From what I can see there isn't any...
  15. D

Hi guys... well, after a week of loosing tape after tape and also 3 tape drives (QIC80 with all my old data, tapes didn't even survive a retension and I had about 50 tapes). Now also my 486 seems to have passed :-( The motherboard (or is it mainboard?) looks totally OK, I can't see anything...
  16. D

Compaq DeskPro 386s

Hi guys, Had some issues with my Compaq DeskPro 286e, but I also had a non working Compaq DeskPro 386s (386sx-16). That machine wouldn't boot according to the person I got it from, but it did count memory upto 384K and then would reboot... turned out all of the switch settings were exactly...
  17. D

Compaq DeskPro 286n

Well, just checked all and here's the weird thing: even with Switch 1/6 in the ON position I still get image now and still get those 1 long - 2 short beeps when booting. Setting the switch to ON or OFF makes no difference at all. So, I thought maybe I'd have to check with the SETUP.EXE and set...
  18. D

Compaq DeskPro 286n

Hi guys... Just got a Compaq DeskPro 286n, nice machine and in good condition except for the Dallas being flat (and since it's socketed that was an easy fix, except the battery had to be rewired from underneath the drive cage). Anyhoo, I have a few things I'd like to know so I was hoping some...
  19. D

HP 9000 installation/connecting to...

Hi Guys, been some time but I have some questions: I've acquired some nice (to me anyway, as a Solaris/Tru64 fan long ago) machine for my collection: one HP Integrity RX2600 (with two Itanium2 CPU), one HP Integrity RP3440 (with that cool PA8900 1GHz/64MB cache CPU) and one HP 9000/800 E35...
  20. D

External floppy drives

I have a tapedrive that works on that DB connector... a cool Cypher with 5150/5160 styling: I think there were some 720K floppy drives with a big blue eject button that also work on that DB connector...
Back