• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. N

Anyone heard of this magazine?

There were a lot of 90s Computer Magazines lost to time. Many of them were fairly well known from Ziff-Davis.
  2. N

Emulated parallel printer

A chip to convert parallel to serial via USB, along with a pre-built design exists: https://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~heha/basteln/PC/LptCap/
  3. N

Where can you still find a BABY AT Computer case?

Creative did sell a PCI soundcard before the Ensoniq buyout. It was called the AWE64D (CT4650) and was OEM only. It required the use of the SB-LINK header found on some period boards to work under DOS. The company's main motivation for buying Ensoniq was to acquire their DOS Sound Blaster...
  4. N

LPT to IDE interface

Yes, the Shuttle EPST chipset was a popular Parallel-to-SCSI solution. Come to think of it, they also made an ATAPI version called the EPAT. https://web.archive.org/web/20000407192431/http://www.shuttletech.com/products/index_4.htm
  5. N

NeXT 400dpi laser printer restoration

Does your NeXT unit's fuser look like this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/111786459736 Apparently the NEC SIlentWriter II Model 990 and Model 260 used the Canon UX engine. Maybe a source for fusers.
  6. N

Machinist X99 Motherboards?

I have the Sintech 2xPCI adapter. It works fine, but you have to connect the SATA power connector with most cards as the PCIe extender cable doesn't provide enough power or all the power rails. Annoyingly, the power connector is behind the slot, so if you have a card longer then the slot, you...
  7. N

I haven't seen anything for SX printers outside of HP and Apple's service docs.
  8. N

FWIW, the Laserjet IIP/Personal LaserWriter NT based on the Canon LX had power supply problems too. Maybe these all fail in different ways? I always suspected heat was a problem with these.
  9. N

The contemporary Canon SX engine was notorious for power supply failures. I wouldn't be surprised if this engine suffered the same problems.
  10. N

IIGS Super High-Res Graphics Corrupted

Is it a ROM 01 or ROM 3 board? The ROM 01 has a socketed VGC, although I've never heard of one coming loose.
  11. N

IIGS Super High-Res Graphics Corrupted

Could be a bad RAM chip in the "slow RAM" bank. The VGC stores its frame buffer in bank $E1. Should be four chips labelled "STANDARD RAM" on the logic board.
  12. N

Windows 3.1 and TCP/IP over Ethernet

The Windows 3.11 "refresh" doesn't include the one big internal feature of WfW 3.11... the 32-bit File Access driver. This is the protected mode VFAT and VCACHE driver that bypassed MS-DOS Int 21H and SmartDrive (if loaded).
  13. N

Win98 on P4 systems: COM ports not working

If I recall, LapLink for Windows has some compatibility with the DOS versions, although it might need to be newer then LapLink 3.x. If the P4 box has a parallel port, a properly wired LapLink parallel cable might actually be a more reliable connection, maybe even faster. Personally I always used...
  14. N

Windows 3.1 and TCP/IP over Ethernet

WinPlay3 wasn't exactly an optimized player of MP3 files. Winamp took over the market mostly because it had a slick interface AND it was fast at decoding. A P75 had zero issue running it with its superior FPU. It was 486 class machines that struggled. Also, you could easily "step-up" Windows 3.1...
  15. N

Anyone recognize this 1987 NCR industrial PC?

Found the NCR model. The NCR 6416: https://www.computerhistory.org/collections/catalog/102696828
  16. N

Anyone recognize this 1987 NCR industrial PC?

The printer could be an original HP LaserJet as mentioned above. If the system required PostScript for some reason, it could be a QMS model as it clearly isn't an Apple LaserWriter. The Canon CX engine was used by a few other companies at the time as well with similar plastic covers. Without a...
  17. N

They aren't usually high end chipsets, but you can still get the latest platforms with onboard serial and parallel ports if you look hard enough. Native PCI is long gone though. Everything is done via PCIe-to-PCI bridge chips that usually work.
  18. N

There are some coolers for Socket AM4 CPUs that still use the motherboard provided latches. They should be the same dimensions as AM2/3.
  19. N

There are still LGA2011 compatible coolers on the market. Noctua only recently stopped supplying LGA2011 mounting kits with their coolers in-box. You could request them if needed.
  20. N

If you want an unstylized board, you have to go low end.... or workstation class (ex: ASRock Rack, SuperMicro, etc.) My main machine has a Asus ProArt X570 Creator. Has ample expansion (Thunderbolt 4, 10Gbe, and 3 NVMe slots) and zero RGB. It wasn't cheap though.
Back