• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. falter

Desoldering technique

Just something I'm curious about as I work to desolder something. I don't have a desoldering gun - I just have a fancy solder sucker with replaceable silcone tips. And for the most part, it works well - sucking up 95% of the solder in one go. However, I'm always challenged with solder between...
  2. falter

KIM-1 Repairs continue

I'm pretty sure I've seen an H revision somewhere along the way. Might be mistaken. But I'm sure thousands of these must have been made.
  3. falter

KIM-1 Repairs continue

That's a question that's been in my mind for a little while now. *Are* they numerically rare? There's always a few on ebay for sale at any given time, and I see revisions going beyond G. For a long time you could pick them up for cheap - I got mine about 10 years ago for $125USD. It seems...
  4. falter

KIM-1 Repairs continue

Yes this one suffered from my inexperience during the first attempts. I continue to tinker with the MMD.. that one I'm pretty certain is just bad solder joints throughout. Also still trying to solve the Bally's loss of +5V. Always something to fix (or break :) )!
  5. falter

KIM-1 Repairs continue

There was one 002 that sold on ebay a couple of months ago.. but it went for $400 "untested".
  6. falter

KIM-1 Repairs continue

She works! So it appears it had a couple of issues going on. The 6530-002 is definitely dead. Once I got it working I swapped back and forth a few times between the Retrospy adapter and the ROM and it's clearly not working. Compounding the issue was my horrendously bad socketing job for...
  7. falter

KIM-1 Repairs continue

Ah! I might be closer than I thought. I gently flexed the board while pressing reset and several times got parts of a display, which is more than this thing has done.. ever. In testing I seem to have found at least one short between RAM address lines.. so I'll spend a bit more time tonight...
  8. falter

KIM-1 Repairs continue

I got and installed the 'Retrospy' 6530 replacement boards. I replaced U2 first.. no dice. Then I replaced U3. No dice. This board just does not want to work. There are only 4 chips in the tape i/o area that haven't been replaced. Everything else has been swapped/tested. Perhaps one of...
  9. falter

What was the first computer scanner marketed for personal use?

I'm kind of surprised someone didn't rig up a rudimentary scanner during the S100 years. They managed to get a digital camera (the cyclops).
  10. falter

I finally got my hands on one of these the other day. Our school lab got one when they refurbished the lab in 1988 or so. No idea what time frame these were out though. Not even sure why it was there. I remember trying to scan some photos and the resolution was awful. I read online these...
  11. falter

I had one of those when I was young as my first scanner. That plus VGA got me my first experiences with digital photo editing. Getting pieces of wide photos stitched together correctly could sometimes be tricky. After that I think I had this really wide scanman thing that you could lift up...
  12. falter

I've been googling this and I keep getting histories that reach back before the 1960s featuring commercial products. I'm trying to find the first scanner(s) promoted for personal/home use. Anyone got any ideas on this?
  13. falter

Meca Beta-Ex Tape drive

Thank you. It's not really a break per se, just not trying to 'win the algorithm' by cranking out content on any kind of schedule. I had a big think about it after a couple of videos I put a lot of effort and time into didn't do very well. I decided from that point forward I'd just make videos...
  14. falter

Meca Beta-Ex Tape drive

Probably will be a long time, to be honest. I've kind of dialed back Youtube production for the forseeable future.
  15. falter

Meca Beta-Ex Tape drive

I can endeavor to open it up for pics in the next few days. I suspect it's mainly the same as the versions of it produced for other computers (think there was one for a TRS80). I haven't been able to locate any other info about it though. Are you familiar with the stringy floppy for the...
  16. falter

Intel "Chat Pad"?

I got the ChatPad.. and unfortunately there is no motherboard or anything in it. I'm not sure if it ever had one. It was something you couldn't really make out from the photos unfortunately. I noticed something was off when I installed the batteries and didn't feel the 'spring' from the...
  17. falter

Greetings from the High Desert

Welcome! This is a really great forum.. lot of excellent people who patiently help out the less EE inclined folks like me. What sort of projects are you getting into?
  18. falter

MicroOffice Roadrunner Battery/Charger

I got the Roadrunner to 'talk' to my Thinkpad properly, and was able to attempt to send and receive a file. But as always there was a hitch - it can only receive or send a 'TEXT' or 'IMAGE' file. I'm thinking IMAGE doesn't mean literally a picture since the Roadrunner can't display those.. but...
  19. falter

MicroOffice Roadrunner Battery/Charger

Reviving this thread as I'm playing around with this machine again now that I've had a chance to really read the manual. So what I'm trying to do is use the terminal program to transfer some basic CP/M programs to the machine's "NVRAM" cartridges and then see if I can run them by changing the...
  20. falter

Memodyne M80 fix up

Thanks Dave, will do. There wouldn't be any reason for my machine to have those chips if it was only doing current loop would it? I see the card has mc1488, mc1489, Z80 SIO and Z80 CTC on the 'communications' board. Anyway I'll start following things out. I might try building an extender...
Back