• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. falter

Memodyne M80 fix up

I bought this a long time ago and posted it here. Originally was thinking it was just a fancy digital cassette recorder, however subsequent Googlings proved it to be a ruggedized Z80 computer from the late 70s. The interior is in excellent condition and it powers up without issue. However...
  2. falter

Racore/Quadram Secondary Drive only formats 180k

Hi there, I think I may have asked about this a long time ago but can't find it. One of my PCjrs has the Racore (Quadram) expansion installed. The second drive works, but it only will format to 180k, not 360l I was looking in the manual but I don't see anything that suggests it can be set...
  3. falter

Tandy 1000 RSX DAC

Forgive me if I get any terminology wrong. I have a Tandy 1000RSX I'm messing about with. Like the 2500, it has the 3 voice sound and DAC, but it was moved to a different memory address so as not to conflict with other hardware since the RSX is a full AT class computer. For the regular 3...
  4. falter

Tracing a vintage PCB in KiCAD

I've invested a bit of time trying to learn the ins and outs of KiCAD (it's the only software I'm even remotely familiar with for this task). I've been practicing on some Sphere boards as well as the Sol prototype PCB, trying to figure out which techniques work best for tracing. What I'm...
  5. falter

3.5" floppy mechanism lubrication?

I recently got a Tandy 1000RSX that has clearly been exposed to moisture at some point in its life. I've discovered that the floppy drive works, however the mechanism that locks the disk into place is sticking due to minor rust. What is the best lubricant for this? The problem is it doesn't...
  6. falter

Intel "Chat Pad"?

Hoping this qualifies as 'vintage'... I think it looks late 90s. Seller thought it was a prototype Intel 'Chat Pad' but there are no pictures of it anywhere. I thought it looked cool so I jumped on it. I note it has no serial number. Thinking it's basically an email client or something...
  7. falter

Tandy 1000RSX

Picked up a Tandy 1000RSX for $150, which I think was decent given how rare they are. However I noticed it doesn't have any RAM installed in the two SIMM sockets. Is the original 1MB soldered on the board? I can't tell in photos but it looks like there may be two large RAM chips soldered...
  8. falter

A2000 won't run certain games like Cannon Fodder (RAM?)

My A2000 has 1MB of RAM, I think, but games like Cannon Fodder don't work. They do work on my A500 with 1MB. I'm so out of touch with Amiga hardware... is it simply a matter of upgrading RAM? I note when I boot into workbench it shows around 800k free.
  9. falter

Seagate 21mb fire

Was going through old hard drives I had lying around.. just plugging them into power on a modernish bench computer.. this one actually went on fire.. one of the caps lit immediately. I'm guessing just a shorted cap.. or maybe something indicative or shorts elsewhere.. but I think this PSU has...
  10. falter

Upgrading my main PC

I've no problem spending on vintage hardware, but when it comes to the current stuff I'm notoriously cheap and usually subsist on castoffs. However while doing my Altair video I finally reached the limits of my patience with the GTX 1650 I've had for 2 years - working on the timeline in...
  11. falter

Bally Pro Arcade

Assuming this sort of qualifies as a computer since it is sort of programmable.. Apparently there was a glitch in the matrix this Christmas and my wife decided to feed my habit rather than try to save me from it. She got me a Bally Professional Arcade. Kind of a nice piece.. with original...
  12. falter

What happens when an Altair hits an octal number higher than 377?

I've been working on a video about my Altair and goofed. I was doing the math program from the example guide and added 1+1.. which worked swimmingly. Then I thought I'd try adding 2 and 3. Unbeknownst to me, I had accidentally left the left most data switch on (from when I was examining...
  13. falter

British Columbia Altair 8800bt Parts

Hi! I have an Altair 8800bt case, PSU and turnkey card. I am trying to find an 8800b CPU card and the turnkey PCB along with the front dress panel. I was bidding on an 8800b CPU card but for some reason they seem to go for $400+ in the usual crazy bidding wars - I've seen complete turnkey...
  14. falter

8800b turnkey CPU board

Quick question.. the 8800b CPU board.. did that undergo any revisions as the 8800b progressed to the turnkey? I've been looking through old auction photos and can't make out the revision number on the board.. doesnt look too different in layout from original 8800b to bt.. but noticed the later...
  15. falter

Programming Altair confusion

In addition to other projects I've been proving out my Altair 8800 by running some programs including some famous ones. I'm decently good at it now but I get confused when the author expects you to enter in your own values for something, particularly memory locations. The listings are often in...
  16. falter

Exceltronix BEST Performer 88-10

Taking a break from my misadventures with an MMD1.. this is a clone offered or produced by Exceltronix, which was an electronics store with I think a couple of satellite stores in Toronto and area. I just got it Friday and did some testing today but alas it does not appear to post. It has Herc...
  17. falter

Poly CPU and disk boards price

I would like to get my 8813 up and running again but haven't seen a CPU board and disk controller come up in a long time. Today a couple came up but they're in the hands of vintagecomputermuseum for $245 and $200 respectively and I'm wondering if that's reasonable. This stuff comes up so...
  18. falter

Cool vintage electronics projects to do in 2023

Just looking for ideas for neat projects to tackle. Mostly for my own amusement but occasionally to be videoed. Right now I'm working obviously on my Sol terminal prototype as well as a SWTPC PPG joystick. But I'd like to tackle some smaller, less insane projects. In magazines so far I've...
  19. falter

Anyone recognize this clock?

Picked this up for next to nothing. I frequently run across these old clock projects in various electronics magazines and I'm 99% sure this probably is a magazine project although no idea whose it is. Some of the wires to the LED board have broken off .. Definitely needs a bit of TLC. Looks...
  20. falter

Plugging in power to other side..

Silly question.. I have a homebrew MMD-1 I'm taking an interest in again. It has its own PSU but the PSU isn't cranking out enough volts. I want to bypass it for now and work on the board. My question is this - the three voltage leads from the psu are soldered to the backside of posts that...
Back