• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. K

TTL Monitor: HGC does not equal CGA/EGA?

I was gifted a nice IBM Portable clone (probably a Taiwanese product) today by a workmate. It has an internal CRT that is powered by a cute Hercules card via DE9 (No surprise). Well now we were talking about monochrome monitors and none of us really knows too much about them. We understand...
  2. K

Replace Ni-Cd BIOS battery with Ni-MH? Is that safe?

Well today i messed with one of my old Fujitsu INTERTOP Model 10. Was nearly getting crazy since it wouldn't save changes to BIOS, was back on default on every reboot. So i opened up that little beast and turns out the CMOS battery can't be saved - already started getting these little crystals...
  3. K

CGA 640x200 (Screen mode 2) - Black & White or Greyscale?

I guess this is a long shot - not sure if anyone can answer this... So CGA 640 x 200 mode (SCREEN 2 in BASIC) "should" be 2 color mode. By default Black is background color, white foreground color. By definition it should be possible to set the foreground color to one of 16 CGA palette colors...
  4. K

Does anyone have a Grid Compass 1100 (or similar) or know anyone with one?

I am currently making a computer game featuring some vintage computers. One of them is the Grid Compass 1101. Unfortunately the textures are very low resolution, so i would need some high resolution pictures (Actually anything better than a Barbie cam is already an improvement). Most important...
  5. K

Problem with formatted disk when used in another PC

OK, i thought long if i should post this in the portables section, but on the other hand it's an 80C88A with MS-DOS 3.3 and the problem is rather with the formatting of the disk - and I know loads of gurus browsing this section daily have loads of experience with HDDs, floppies and ancient...
  6. K

How can i wire an unusual 16-pin null modem cable to DE9 instead of DB25

OK, I admit i have never been a big cable guy. So this fancy 80C88 based unit with a Vacuum fluorescent display and DR-DOS 3.41... Symbol VRC-6940 if anyone is interested. Just LOVE the display. However - the ports are not such standard... It has this odd 16-pin round jack for a nullmodem...
  7. K

Complete Nova 2/10 System in Germany

Not my auction, but i just saw it and it is STUNNING. If i didn't have wife and family I would... oh well... Well i guess maybe for someone who can travel to Germany and pick it up. And for someone without family...or with a VERY understanding family and loads of spare space...
  8. K

Boxed Apple IIc gallore

Just saw this. Not my listing, but prolly cool for someone who wants a boxed set of Apple IIc stuff. Not "mint" condition, but if you peek at the starting price it seems it could be a bargain...
  9. K

HP 200lx - Korean keyboard

Hmmm i guess then maybe it lacks the HSE200 Hangul input enabler? Seems odd that it is missing on a korean version, did HP not include it at all??? How weird since it has a Korean keyboard... Well but you can just install it yourself... I attach a zip with the HSE200. Just copy the files...
  10. K

Is there any PHP script to manage computer collections?

Been searching for quite some time but couldn't come up with anything good. I thought about making one from scratch, but atm too much work for me. I took a look at "VideoDB" which is targeted for movie collections, but i guess i could customize it (also loads of work) to suit computers...
  11. K

How to set up a dial-in node for Internet access? (Being my own ISP)

Well well, why make it easy when you can have it the hard way? So what i wanna do is setting up a dial-in modem node. You remember when you had to use a modem to dial-in to your ISP via phone line to get to the internet? I wanna bring back the good old times. So the idea is simple. My...
  12. K

Electronics pros here? How to add a solar panel to a computer?

OK, I am not that deep into electronic circuits and stuff. I can replace a capacitor, repair some broken contacts, but i never designed any circuit from scratch. So to make it short - my idea was to add a solar panel to one of my palmtop PCs. I think something like a tidalwave clone is a good...
  13. K

My Site: DOS Palmtops

Well well, "Site" is a bit of a stretch. Actually it used to be my personal "secret" list where i tried to gather information, photos and stories about DOS-based palmtop PCs that i own or want to have. It kinda developed from a simple list and some notes into kinda encyclopedia of DOS palmtops...
  14. K

Any interest in XTIDE cards?

Well the thing is that my buddy got an XTIDE card that he bought for kinda an arm and a leg a while ago. I think it's one of these lo-tech kits that was already assembled. He bought it "used" for like 80 Dollars. Now we want more of them for various of our classics and we couldn't even find...
  15. K

Interesting boot option on a Mitac 1600A - boot from a different computers floppy...

Generally an interesting machine for a DOS Palmtop fanatic like me, but this one has a very unique boot option. You can actually boot from a floppy - but wait - not a local floppy but one in your normal desktop PC if you connected the desktop PC via the serial cable and installed the necessary...
  16. K

Sorry for another driver issue

Depends on your sound device configuration. Basically this is how the BLASTER variable works: (Click for bigger image) And as i said - i seriously doubt your sound device offers sound blaster compatibility. Did you check the BIOS (Key words: "Legacy audio", "Soundblaster")? But worth a shot...
  17. K

WTB: DOS-based palmtop computers

As the title suggests. If it "can" run or even has a version of DOS (MS-DOS; DR-DOS and so on) in its ROM then i might be interested in it. I already have a HP 100LX, a Poqet, Atari Portfolio and a German Highscreen handy Organizer, but generally I am interested in expanding my collection if i...
Back