• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. A

Gridcase 2 - Power supply voltage

My power supply went to Raj last summer, he's my go to man from Mumbai who learned his electronics the hard way there. I asked him to give it a proper looking over. He then promptly returned to Mumbai for 6 months but for me, his greatness is worth waiting for! He, and then my power supply...
  2. A

Gridcase 2 - Power supply voltage

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I could tell the 2 x RIFA's in the power supply were starting to go and so I swapped them for like for like replacements. Before I did this, the supply voltage (using the same meter) was around 15.6v. I notice now that it sits somewhere around 14.75v. Is...
  3. A

Gridcase 2 - Battery and Ribbon cables

After much deliberation, and the advice above, I decided to not tear down the machine any more and see if the battery could be 'pried' from the board mounted contacts. Its fascinating to see the details in the construction back then. The bottom of the battery had a film attached which I...
  4. A

Thank you everyone for your reply. I have worked on machines like PETS and Apple II's before, but this is certainly a 'jump up'. My worry with the battery was that eventually it might start to leak and so it would need attending to. I don't plan to sell the machine and so was considering...
  5. A

Hi Folks, I wonder if anyone can help. I have bitten the bullet and dived into identifying whether my machine had the Dallas chip battery, or a physical battery itself. Well I suspect its a battery (the light blue one), though I have never seen one like it before. When closely inspected, it...
  6. A

GRiDCASE 2 - Dallas Chip

Thank you for the replies. I will find some time to get it fully apart and go from there.
  7. A

GRiDCASE 2 - Dallas Chip

Hi Folks - bit of a long shot but I suspect my previously working machine has stopped booting due to the Dallas Chip finally expiring. I dissembled the machine so far, but realised to get to that chip on the lower board, it will mean a deeper tear down which I am happy to do, but only when I...
  8. A

Gridcase 2 - from 1987 (UK supplied machine)

Thank you for your reply, I will get the machine apart and have a look.
  9. A

Gridcase 2 - from 1987 (UK supplied machine)

I purchased this some years ago (with its carry case and literature supplied when new) and after removing the layers of case covering goo from it, and cleaning it up generally, it would always start up to the BIOS screen. I was happy with it getting to this point with the view that one day I...
  10. A

Sharp MZ-80K

I hope this is good enough....
  11. A

Replacing the mains filter capacitor

I need to replace this component on my 4016 (owned from new) as it keeps tripping the house power supply. Having searched this forum, and the web, I find a lot of discussion about this item, but cannot track down a complete 'solution' as this component appears to be a mix of capacitors and...
  12. A

Pet 4016 causes house rcd panel to trip

Thought my pet had died when the house fuse panel tripped and I was left listening to the pet 'fizz' for 10 seconds. After getting the power back on I checked under the hood of the pet and could see no visible signs of trouble. I risked powering it on again and it started perfectly, the rcd...
  13. A

Hunting for a text scrolling program

Hi folks, I am looking for a program I can use as a rolling demo for my 4016. I have searched around but cannot find anything, any suggestions? Would be happy to type a listing in if needed.
  14. A

Original 800 memory modules

Last year I picked up an early 800 with 48k on board, other than being discoloured, it is in great shape. The memory modules are all still in their Atari cases. When I use the machine it runs for many hours and does not seem to get hot, my question is, should I discard the cases on the...
  15. A

Petdisk - is is still available?

Folks Having taken cleaned up my pet, I would like to give it some exercise and put a petdisk SD card unit onto it. Is this still available and can it be shipped to Europe (I am in the UK). I sent an email to the bitfixer website and have not heard back and I dont want to place an order until...
  16. A

White plastic lugs on 4016 motherboard

Hi Folks I was about to remove the motherboard from my 4016 (for cleaning) when I noticed there are two plastic lugs (approx 1/4 way from the front of the machine) retaining the motherboard to the lower casing. These look like they probably popped into the board and case back in 1982 when it...
  17. A

Motherboard cleaning - CBM 4016

Folks I am a newbie to the board. I owned this machine from new, and being in my mid 40's decided to get it (and a few other classics I have accumulated in the last few years) up and running and remember fondly the 6502 era. Unfortunately for some years in the late 80's it lived on a carpeted...
Back