• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. F

Recommendations on ISA SVGA card?

Banned users should still be able to search and read vogons thread postings. Here's a brief comparison I did of ISA VGA cards (on VOGONS): https://www.vogons.org/download/file.php?id=26506&mode=view Even though the Trident 8900D was able to keep up with the ET4000AX, the picture quality left...
  2. F

Help fixing socket 5 upgrade module - Evergreen Spectra 333 - Vout does not adjust

I have an Evergreen Spectra 333 upgrade module which I use in a dual socket 5 NEC Proserva V Plus along with a Kingston upgrade module. Both modules are set to 2.8 V and are running the Pentium 233 MMX. They were working fine until I was lifting up a CD-ROM (while powered up) to check the model...
  3. F

Dual socket 5 with P266 Tillamook's

According to Intel's datasheet, the following features have been eliminated in the low-power embedded Pentium processor with MMX technology: Upgrade, Dual Processing (DP), and Master/Checker functional redundancy. ... Signals Removed from the Low-Power Embedded Pentium® Processor with MMX™...
  4. F

WTB Evergreen Spectra 266 or 333

I'm looking for an Evergreen socket 5/7 CPU upgrade, the Spectra 266 or Spectra 333. They were one of the more common socket 5/7 CPU upgrades. It should have P55C-K6-L2 printed on the underside of the PCB. Doesn't need to have the original box or discs, but should have the original Evergreen...
  5. F

Need help updating the onboard SCSI portion of a socket 5 BIOS

I have an NEC Proserva V Plus PCI/EISA-based system, which contains a dual Pentium 200 motherboard from Zenith Data Systems. The Proserva systme is the same as a Zenith Z-Server WL system. I currently have the latest BIOS installed, which is version 1.00.14.WL014. The chipset is an Intel...
  6. F

Why did 386 motherboards use CLK2 and later motherboards use CLK?

I noticed that all my 386 motherboards send CLK2 to the CPU whereas my VLB- and PCI-based socket 3 boards send CLK to the CPU. Why did older motherboards send twice the clock frequency to the CPU, thus requiring the CPU to use an internal PLL to halve the frequency? Why did the motherboard not...
  7. F

How to troubleshoot a 486SXL2 upgrade CPU with an oscilliscope

Brief update. The adapter will POST when using an 8 MHz oscillator. The CPU defaults to non-clock-doubled mode, meaning when its booting, its running a 4 MHz. Only one of 5 motherboards tested would POST at this speed. It is incredibly slow, but at least it passes POST. Unfortunately, when...
  8. F

It would be pretty straight-forward to add more capacitors in parallel to the VRM circuit. Add another 10 uF? 100 uF? Also, I do have two busses. If you view the higher resolution image on the Vogons website, you will see there is a Vcc (3.6V) bus on the top and one Vcc (3.6V) bus on the...
  9. F

I am having some trouble getting this PGA168 to PGA132 prototype interposer board working and am seeking assistance with troubleshooting. I am trying to get a TI 486SXL2 in the PGA168 package to work on my 386 board, just as the TI486SXL2 does in the PGA132 package. To me it should be a simple...
  10. F

BIOS needed for Diamond Stealth64 DRAM T VLB(86c764-P and 86c764X)

I am looking for the BIOS image dump from a Diamond Stealth64 DRAM T VLB card, which is a Trio64 and uses either the 86c764-P or 86c764X chip. I am looking for BIOS revision 2.02 or later. Thanks!
  11. F

Is L2 cache on 386/486 motherboards parallel (look-aside) or serial (look-through)?

I have been looking through some 386 chipset datasheets, but do not see mention to the L2 cache being serial or parallel. I found some definitions for the differences between the two online. Cache can be access in parallel or serial with main memory. In a parallel access mode both the cache...
  12. F

How to force reset of configuration data (ESCD) when there is not a BIOS option

I have a PCI-based 486 motherboard with a BIOS based on AWARD 4.51PG. I would like to force a reset of the configuration data (ESCD) at POST every time I boot. The BIOS does not have an option to reset the configuration data. The only means I know how to do this is to physically swap the...
  13. F

Cyrix MediaGX register control software

I am looking for some register control software for the Cyrix MediaGX, similar to the Evergreen and Peter Moss utilities for the Cyrix 5x86. Does anyone know if there is such software and if so what is the name?
  14. F

Memory address buffers for external cache

I have noticed that some socket 3 era motherboard designs employ a memory address buffer, e.g. 74F244, between the TAG address and the cache address, while others do not. Could someone shed some light on why certain designs would have used a buffer at this branch, while other designs simply...
  15. F

Does 486 cache interleave?

Does 486 SRAM cache interleave between banks? If so, what performance gain is there and how can I test for it? If there is no performance gain, is there any benefit of using 512kb double-banked SRAM vs. single banked SRAM? I am particularly interested in PCI-era 486 boards, so if there is any...
  16. F

questions about SCSI hard drive size and speeds.

For the sake of interest, attached are the Speedsys results from an over optimized 486. It uses an Adaptec 2940U2W on a PCI bus with a U160 or U320 HDD, I forget which now. The CPU is an IBM 5x86-133 (2x66). FSB at 33 MHz. It seems this forum really reduces the quality of form-attached png...
  17. F

PS/2 mouse interface for ISA bus

Can you let me know the brand and model is of this unit? How is the quality of the mouse tracking? There is this KVM-targeted company, Vetra Systems, which lets you plug any PS/2 mouse into a serial port via protocol conversion. I ordered one thinking it would solve all my problems, but the...
  18. F

386 performance ceiling?

Actually, it is not quite it its most advanced configuration. A TI/Cyrix TX486DLC/E-40GA will certainly outperform an AMD 386DX-40. I have a similar system to yours except that I recently swapped my AMD 386DX-40 for a Cyrix TX486DLC/E-40GA. If you enable the 1 KB of L1 cache on the Cyrix, you...
Back